Author Topic: A spiritual crisis  (Read 11075 times)

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: A spiritual crisis
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2018, 08:23:13 am »
Jake, have you become possessed by the ghost of L Ron Hubbard by any chance?

No because I am a Catholic, not an adherent to the crazy false religion of Scientology.
Lot of similarities though, bad SF author-fair point you're more bad fantasy, wants to start a cult with an eye to world domination.

Tell us again how multiverse traversing wizards are part of Catholic dogma again Jacob.

Well the Bible is full of creatures such as Cheribim, Nephillim, the Witch of Endor, a talking donkey, and the prophet Elijah who raised someone from the dead, so a wizard is similar to the things in the Bible.
Welp it also has  Deuteronomy 18:10-12, but don't let that stop your train of thought.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
  • The person who discovered England's true monarch
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2018, 10:43:39 am »
Jake, have you become possessed by the ghost of L Ron Hubbard by any chance?

No because I am a Catholic, not an adherent to the crazy false religion of Scientology.
Lot of similarities though, bad SF author-fair point you're more bad fantasy, wants to start a cult with an eye to world domination.

Tell us again how multiverse traversing wizards are part of Catholic dogma again Jacob.

Well the Bible is full of creatures such as Cheribim, Nephillim, the Witch of Endor, a talking donkey, and the prophet Elijah who raised someone from the dead, so a wizard is similar to the things in the Bible.
Welp it also has  Deuteronomy 18:10-12, but don't let that stop your train of thought.

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 is referring to occult black magic such as witchcraft, divination, and sorcery. That is why in traditional storytelling such as Lord of the Rings, the good wizards like Gandalf practice good white magic while the evil wizards like Saruman practice black magic.

Offline KingOfRhye

• Pope
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2018, 02:16:05 pm »
I've read a decent amount of fantasy where there's wizards on the sides of both good and evil casting magic.... and you know what?  A lot of times, the good guys use the same spells as the bad guys.  I've always thought that magic, if such a thing actually existed, would be a tool, nothing more.  It's like a gun....a gun is not good or evil in itself, it can be used for either.

Or a good example could be in a favorite series of mine, Xanth, where people pretty much all have unique magic that only they can use, but the only thing that makes it good or evil is how they use it.  And for that matter, there a lot of examples in that whole series where "good/evil" is matter of perspective.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2018, 03:21:14 pm »
I've read a decent amount of fantasy where there's wizards on the sides of both good and evil casting magic.... and you know what?  A lot of times, the good guys use the same spells as the bad guys.  I've always thought that magic, if such a thing actually existed, would be a tool, nothing more.  It's like a gun....a gun is not good or evil in itself, it can be used for either.

Or a good example could be in a favorite series of mine, Xanth, where people pretty much all have unique magic that only they can use, but the only thing that makes it good or evil is how they use it.  And for that matter, there a lot of examples in that whole series where "good/evil" is matter of perspective.

The good guys intent makes those spells white magic, and the bad guys intent makes those spells black magic. Black magic also includes Witchcraft, Sorcery, and Divination which is why witches are villains in traditional storytelling. Unfortunetely, Harry Potter makes all female wizards called witches, even good ones, which is why Christians need to revise the series to make the villains called Warlocks and Witches, and the good guys including the females to be called Wizards.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 03:23:32 pm by Jacob Harrison »

Offline KingOfRhye

• Pope
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2018, 03:59:55 pm »
The good guys intent makes those spells white magic, and the bad guys intent makes those spells black magic.

Which is pretty much what I just said, isn't it?

Black magic also includes Witchcraft, Sorcery, and Divination which is why witches are villains in traditional storytelling.

Define "witchcraft" and "sorcery."  How would they be any different from "white magic" aside from that you're calling them "black magic"?

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2018, 04:08:07 pm »
Ah I see, "it's bad magic because I say so." Thank you Jacob.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2018, 04:20:37 pm »
The good guys intent makes those spells white magic, and the bad guys intent makes those spells black magic.

Black magic also includes Witchcraft, Sorcery, and Divination which is why witches are villains in traditional storytelling.

Define "witchcraft" and "sorcery."  How would they be any different from "white magic" aside from that you're calling them "black magic"?

Witchcraft and sorcery are defined by the Oxford Dictionary as the practice of black magic. Witchcraft specifically has the use of spells. Black magic is magic used with wicked intent.

Offline KingOfRhye

• Pope
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2018, 04:27:10 pm »

Witchcraft and sorcery are defined by the Oxford Dictionary as the practice of black magic. Witchcraft specifically has the use of spells. Black magic is magic used with wicked intent.

LOL....ok then, so your previous statement, "Black magic also includes Witchcraft, Sorcery" really just boils down to "Black magic also includes black magic, black magic"

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2018, 04:07:32 am »
I dont see a problem with calling the good magic women "good witches" and the evil ones "bad witches" but thats just me.