Author Topic: On the future of the forums  (Read 84144 times)

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
Re: On the future of the forums
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2013, 09:32:42 pm »
I'm sure I'm not just speaking for myself in thanking Sigma for making the transition as smooth as possible.  Many <3s to Sigma. :)
Indeed. Thank you Sigma.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2013, 10:32:11 pm »
I just tried typing fqa.digibase.ca into the address bar in my browser and nothing came up. Didn't get rediredted to FSTDT either. Tried it on 3 other browsers as well and got the same result. Is the server down, or is my computer just being weird or something?

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2013, 10:35:12 pm »
It's working for me.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2013, 05:09:55 am »
I just tried typing fqa.digibase.ca into the address bar in my browser and nothing came up. Didn't get rediredted to FSTDT either. Tried it on 3 other browsers as well and got the same result. Is the server down, or is my computer just being weird or something?

I can't get it to work for me either... what's going on? I tried on both my servers and I can't get anything. :(

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2013, 05:48:28 am »
I got it to work too, but I was signed out in that window, for some odd reason.

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2013, 06:10:30 am »
I got a hold of Kradorex in the fstdt IRC and he fixed an issue, so it's working for me now. :)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2013, 09:52:08 am »
I got it to work too, but I was signed out in that window, for some odd reason.

Likely because its, technically, a different site and therefore has a different set of cookies; the two don't mingle with one another even though both URLs are pointing to the same location.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2013, 11:13:10 am »
The only thing I dislike about not losing everything is that I can't make a new "Thread Killer?" containing the proper intro post. I feel like I've forever disappointed Sigma in that regard.

Make a new thread killer anyways. We could always use a second one with our propensity to break off into tangents.

I'm so tempted.

C'mon... you know you want to.... do it, gurllllll ;)

What would be cool is if we start a new one, get the old one locked, collect the Thread Killers of previous board incarnations, and put the whole shooting match in it's own area on the new board. Make it the Thread killer through the ages.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2013, 01:05:34 pm »
That is the best idea I've ever heard for anything ever.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2013, 02:53:10 pm »
I got a hold of Kradorex in the fstdt IRC and he fixed an issue, so it's working for me now. :)

Works for me too, now. Maybe it was a regional issue? I thought I read somewhere that you live in the same city I do. I don't know if that would affect it though. But whatever, it works now so that's good.

Offline Kradorex Xeron

• Technical Consultant
  • Administrator
  • Bishop
  • Digitally Original
    • Personal Site
« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2013, 05:44:33 pm »

Works for me too, now. Maybe it was a regional issue? I thought I read somewhere that you live in the same city I do. I don't know if that would affect it though. But whatever, it works now so that's good.

It was an issue with our contracted DNS secondary servers. Our central server (ns.digibase.ca) was updated, but our secondaries (externally hosted, ns2.digibase.ca and ns3.digibase.ca) that are supposed to synchronize records failed to do so.

DNS is essentially the phonebook of the Internet, changes names, (e.g. fqa.digibase.ca) into IP addresses (e.g. 72.38.129.202) so computers can connect using names, authoritative DNS servers hold records for a domain name and and respond for that domain. What happened here is some people were getting replies from our own in-house authoritative (Which had the record, they got access) while others were getting replies from our secondary authoritatives (Which did not have the record, which caused connection failed errors).

This has since been corrected as Nightangel brought the issue of the de-synchronization to my attention.
~Krad Xeron

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2013, 06:49:33 pm »
Thanks Sigma.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #162 on: August 09, 2013, 06:54:32 pm »
So is the new board up yet?  If so, what's the link?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2013, 09:49:33 pm »

It was an issue with our contracted DNS secondary servers. Our central server (ns.digibase.ca) was updated, but our secondaries (externally hosted, ns2.digibase.ca and ns3.digibase.ca) that are supposed to synchronize records failed to do so.

DNS is essentially the phonebook of the Internet, changes names, (e.g. fqa.digibase.ca) into IP addresses (e.g. 72.38.129.202) so computers can connect using names, authoritative DNS servers hold records for a domain name and and respond for that domain. What happened here is some people were getting replies from our own in-house authoritative (Which had the record, they got access) while others were getting replies from our secondary authoritatives (Which did not have the record, which caused connection failed errors).

This has since been corrected as Nightangel brought the issue of the de-synchronization to my attention.

Makes sense. I know absolutely nothing about stuff like this, so thanks for the explanation.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #164 on: August 10, 2013, 02:39:22 am »
Well this looks new. This the layout of our new digs?
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.