Author Topic: On the subject of fashion.  (Read 3660 times)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: On the subject of fashion.
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 11:35:52 am »
My point was... you're essentially complaining about guys wearing skimpy clothing. I was trying to point out that when someone else complains about girls wearing skimpy clothing, there's a huge outcry and disapproval of the complainer. But who is defending boys' rights to choose their clothing style; in this particular instance?

I admit, I don't know your position on that, but there was a certain smell of hypocrisy and double standard in the air.

As far as I'm aware though nobody is arguing, or has ever argued, that men wearing cock-showing trousers deserve to get raped and have only themselves to blame when they do get raped.  The main argument anyone makes with men's cocks and balls on display however is that it's disgusting rather than immoral.  Like how, for example, somone walking around with a giant boil on their face is disgusting but not immoral.

Not that all people who complain about scantaly clad women are all making that argument, but the fact that some people do make said argument has made people rather sensitive about the subject.

Plus there is the added difference that most skimpy women's clothes don't show off reproductive organs, what with female reproductive organs being internal and all that.  When a girl wears a tight, short skirt nobody is going to see her ovaries and its unlikely you'll see her vagina.  Where as with a  man in certain tight short shorts you can see both his cock and his balls.  Nobody wants to see that, much in the same way nobody wants to see your liver, kidneys, spleen, intestines, brain, etc.  It's just nasty.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 02:09:16 pm »
Like this?
(click to show/hide)

Holy Shit, now that is some tight pants...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 02:10:55 pm by Empress Nicki »

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 09:21:55 pm »
Plus there is the added difference that most skimpy women's clothes don't show off reproductive organs, what with female reproductive organs being internal and all that.  When a girl wears a tight, short skirt nobody is going to see her ovaries and its unlikely you'll see her vagina.  Where as with a  man in certain tight short shorts you can see both his cock and his balls.  Nobody wants to see that, much in the same way nobody wants to see your liver, kidneys, spleen, intestines, brain, etc.  It's just nasty.

Male reproductive organs are external; it seems odd to compare them to internal organs, where disgust is strongly associated with the fact that if you can see them, their owner is dead or heavily injured. Seeing external organs simply means the owner is not covering that part of their body. Not even that, in this case, because we're talking about them being outlined rather than exposed.

Human disgust about various body parts is based more on cultural reasons than biological ones. Pointing out that the penis is a reproductive organ is a red herring. You can argue that most people would be disgusted by it, certainly, but there's little to no logical reason behind it beyond "that's the culture we live in".
Σא

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 09:25:57 pm »
Well... they are kinda ugly, really.  To be fair vaginas don't really win any beauty pageants either.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 12:36:34 pm »

...Not even that, in this case, because we're talking about them being outlined rather than exposed.

Actually we were also talking about when the cock and/or balls are dangling below the leg of the shorts and therefore visable.  That had been mentioned, I wasn't talking soley about the man in the photo.

And my point was only that nobody wants to see it because people find those parts unpleasant like how we find other things unpleasant, instead of people thinking that men dressing in such a way is seen somehow as deserving of horrible consequence and that's why (rightly or wrongly) it's okay to express your wish for men to not dress in such a way whereas if you say the same about how a woman dresses it's not as ok.  I wasn't actually comparing cocks to internal organs in a literal sense.

Even if I was, the difference between genitals and internal organs is irrelevant and in no way affects my point.  People don't want to see your genitals, it doesn't matter whether the reason for that is different to why people don't want to see internal organs or not.  We don't want to see that shit. I don't care if our disgust is cultural, put that fucking thing away.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 03:47:48 pm »
But how is that any different than telling someone to put a bag over their head because you think their face is ugly, or (perhaps more relevant, since it's a cultural preference) telling overweight women that they need to cover up more of their bodies than thin women because, "No one wants to see that."?

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 02:22:16 am »
Hey it’s the male version of camel toe, trouser snake!

“Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.” - Oscar Wilde
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 11:40:17 am »
Well... they are kinda ugly, really.  To be fair vaginas don't really win any beauty pageants either.
As a bisexual guy, I disagree with both points.

But how is that any different than telling someone to put a bag over their head because you think their face is ugly, or (perhaps more relevant, since it's a cultural preference) telling overweight women that they need to cover up more of their bodies than thin women because, "No one wants to see that."?
I agree. Personally, I don't see exposed genitalia as any more gross than anything else. I'd have no issue interacting with nudists, or joining them if I was at a nudist beach or hotel (or cruise).
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 06:51:52 pm »

As a bisexual guy, I disagree with both points.

Fair enough.  I guess it's just a me and/or asexual thing.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 06:53:26 pm by SpaceProg »