Author Topic: Was the right this rabid under Clinton?  (Read 5327 times)

Offline TigerHunter

• Bishop
Was the right this rabid under Clinton?
« on: September 23, 2012, 09:11:20 pm »
I was born in 1991, so I wasn't really paying attention to politics until Bush was in the Oval Office. Since he left, I've noticed that right-wingers (at least, those that make the main page) regard Obama's presidency as nothing short of apocalyptic. Even putting aside the rumors that he's a muslim, or wasn't born in this country, which can easily be attributed to his race, a number of them seem convinced that not only is he incompetent, he is malicious and actively trying to run America into the ground. I know that there were rumors about Clinton too - that he'd ordered people killed and such - but was he regarded in the same light, or is the right's venomous hatred a new phenomenon?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 10:34:14 pm by TigerHunter »

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
Re: Was the right this rabid under Clinton?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 09:23:16 pm »
Yes and no. The main problem today is that there is just so much more information (true or false, for good or ill) and more connection available today. Both the internet and the 24-hour news cycle were in their relative infancy under Clinton - both Fox News and MSNBC launched in 1996, neither with the reach nor content they would have even by 2004. Now the internet has created echo chambers of extreme political thought and cable news stations need to fill 24/7/365 with content. It's not necessarily that the feelings are different, it's that they're amplified.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 09:26:57 pm »
It varies.  So far the Republicans have not moved for impeachment

Saturn500

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 09:53:45 pm »
Of course, Clinton did commit adultery, and doing something illegal is grounds for impeachment, so at least with Clinton, they were kinda justified.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 09:55:46 pm »
When did adultery become illegal?

Saturn500

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 10:14:20 pm »
I thought it was.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 10:15:25 pm »
1. The right wasn't this crazy, yes there were crazy conspiracy theory shit like the "Clinton Chronicles"(which was a whole lot of funny), and the whole impeachment(is it sad that I remember watching the vote as me and my family decorated the Christmas tree that year??). But in my opinion the right wing have amped up the crazy to about 15 on a scale from 1 to 10 under Obama.
2. Clinton was impeached because he lied under oath not because her cheated on Hilliary. If he would've just admitted to it, we would've avoided the whole BS. What really makes me sick, is that the assholes who made a big shit over it, were cheating on their spouses, so they really didn't have the moral high ground to begin with.

Oh yeah, and thanks for making me feel old.

Offline TigerHunter

• Bishop
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 10:35:34 pm »
You're welcome  :P

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 10:44:06 pm »
Speaking of 1991, which I was born in also, I found a book of political cartoons for that year and stumbled upon one about George Bush Sr. having no backbone to the Democrats.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 10:53:40 pm »
1. The right wasn't this crazy, yes there were crazy conspiracy theory shit like the "Clinton Chronicles"(which was a whole lot of funny), and the whole impeachment(is it sad that I remember watching the vote as me and my family decorated the Christmas tree that year??). But in my opinion the right wing have amped up the crazy to about 15 on a scale from 1 to 10 under Obama.
2. Clinton was impeached because he lied under oath not because her cheated on Hilliary. If he would've just admitted to it, we would've avoided the whole BS. What really makes me sick, is that the assholes who made a big shit over it, were cheating on their spouses, so they really didn't have the moral high ground to begin with.

I have always wondered why the republicans never went after the sexual harassment angle since they had a boss taking advantage of his position of authority to get sexual favours from a subordinate.

Don't feel too old, I remember the Regan years quite well.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 11:03:45 pm »
2. Clinton was impeached because he lied under oath not because her cheated on Hilliary. If he would've just admitted to it, we would've avoided the whole BS.

Clinton didn't lie under oath. He asked how the court defined sex- narrowly- and then, accurately, told them he'd never had vaginal intercourse with Ms Lewinski. If he hadn't done that, he'd have been lying. And if they had decided he wasn't lying then, it would have been the 'murder' of Vince Foster or the Whitewater 'conspiracy' or some other nonsense. Or they'd have thrown someone else in prison for refusing to perjure themselves.

The point was not to uphold the law. The point was to headhunt a political opponent. And they were willing to outright abuse their power of impeachment to do it.

He was IMPEACHED for nothing. The Republicans (and even some Democrats, to their utter shame) abused their most serious power. They've done nothing like that for Obama.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline TigerHunter

• Bishop
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 11:31:23 pm »
They've done nothing like that for Obama.
Yet.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 11:32:52 pm »
This basically.  It was actually rather like Andrew Johnson's impeachment.  No legal wrongdoing unlike Nixon just wanted to get rid of a political opponent.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 11:59:57 pm »

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 12:25:21 am »
I can say with certainty that it was nowhere this insane. This madness seems to have only come about in the last decade or so. If they were this mad back in the day, I never would have been a Repub.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!