Author Topic: Arkansas Heartbeat Bill  (Read 4393 times)

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Arkansas Heartbeat Bill
« on: February 23, 2013, 11:46:45 am »

Ever since the right to procure an abortion was deemed a constitutionally-protected right by the Supreme Court in Roe v. Wade (and more or less reiterated in Planned Parenthood v. Casey), the anti-choice pro-life movement has concocted a slew of inventive ways to restrict womens' reproductive rights in the U.S. One of these measures, known informally as the "Heartbeat Bill", would "ban most abortions if a fetal heartbeat is detected within six weeks of a pregnancy." Any doctor found in violation of this law would be charged with a Class D Felony, and could be sentenced to six years in prison and slapped with a fine of up to $10,000. In order to detect a heartbeat at such an early stage of the pregnancy, an invasive probing of the woman's vagina would most likely be necessary. How fitting, then, that State Senator Jason Rapert (seen here decrying the rule of dirty minorities) is the bill's chief sponsor. Frankly, his Twitter background should've tipped us off.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Re: Arkansas Heartbeat Bill
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 11:51:03 am »
So out of curiosity, how accurate are the invasive probings that I've heard about?
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 12:06:50 pm »
Isn't a fetus's heartbeat not technically a heart at first?
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 01:16:31 pm »
So out of curiosity, how accurate are the invasive probings that I've heard about?

Not sure what you mean by accurate, but I had an ultrasound (to test for a medical condition, not for pregnancy) and they shove a wand in your vagina and twist it around. It's not fun.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 01:22:58 pm »
I have a better idea for a heartbeat bill. if a politician suggests another fucking heartbeat bill, you can punch them to death.

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 01:30:59 pm »

Not sure what you mean by accurate, but I had an ultrasound (to test for a medical condition, not for pregnancy) and they shove a wand in your vagina and twist it around. It's not fun.

Well, I mean "How good is it at detecting an actual heartbeat with a high rate of precision?"  How effective is the actual ultrasound.  For that matter, what affect (if any) does it have on the fetus?

You mention that the ultrasound thing isn't fun.  So that raises one question for me.  With the way new discoveries are being made in science, will there ever be a new and less invasive technique that could do the same thing as these ultrasounds?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 01:33:53 pm »
Because gotta punish the whores.

Ironbite-it's the only way they'll learn.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 01:35:44 pm »
I'll make the low-lying joke here, since no one else has:

"The guy even has 'Rape' in his name! No wonder he's all for this!"
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 01:52:53 pm »
I'll make the low-lying joke here, since no one else has:

"The guy even has 'Rape' in his name! No wonder he's all for this!"
It's on his Twitter background. So I beat everyone to it  :D

EDIT:

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 03:48:54 pm »
Whenever they come up with a stupid anti-abortion/anti-gay bill, I feel as if it's a way to distract people from the fact that they have no fucking clue what to do to fix the economy without screwing themselves over.

And they wonder why they lost the last election.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 03:53:32 pm »
They're going to look for a fetal heartbeat in an embryo?  Go, Arkansas.  Soooo-ey!
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 05:32:48 pm »

Well, I mean "How good is it at detecting an actual heartbeat with a high rate of precision?"  How effective is the actual ultrasound.  For that matter, what affect (if any) does it have on the fetus?

You mention that the ultrasound thing isn't fun.  So that raises one question for me.  With the way new discoveries are being made in science, will there ever be a new and less invasive technique that could do the same thing as these ultrasounds?

You know, nobody trying to really address posts like this is the very fucking reason I started the "On Trivializing Abortion" thread.  FFS.  I understand that you guys don't like this, but I have questions that would be cool to be answered.  Hell, I think that you'd do right by helping people with real questions by addressing them.  That is, instead of mocking this bill, maybe you should actually fucking help people understand why it's so shitty.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 05:41:05 pm by B-Man »

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 06:15:41 pm »

You know, nobody trying to really address posts like this is the very fucking reason I started the "On Trivializing Abortion" thread.  FFS.  I understand that you guys don't like this, but I have questions that would be cool to be answered.  Hell, I think that you'd do right by helping people with real questions by addressing them.  That is, instead of mocking this bill, maybe you should actually fucking help people understand why it's so shitty.

Dude, you only posted it a few hours ago. One, people may not feel like immediately researching that subject, and two, such a bill is so enraging that it's hard to avoid initially mocking it.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 10:22:37 pm »

I viewed it as one of those bills that was self-evidently shitty. From a constitutional perspective, there's no way this could pass the undue burden test laid out by Casey. It's just a fail from the get-go.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 01:45:50 am »

The thing is, those questions are irrelevant within the debate of abortion. regardless of the medical technologies invasive nature or accuracy the final choice still belongs to the woman involved. As such, all things like these bills and the person-hood bills do is attempt to shame, guilt trip, badger and traumatize pregnant women as well as deny access to healthcare for poor women.

If the technology becomes much more accurate and less invasive it would be great for any pregnant woman especially those who wish to see how the development is going and such, however doing such things with women who are trying to seek an abortion is just plain anti-woman abuse.