Author Topic: Lawyer wants to lower the age of consent to 13  (Read 5833 times)

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
Lawyer wants to lower the age of consent to 13
« on: May 09, 2013, 09:23:44 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22459815

A barrister wants the age of consent in the UK lowered to 13 to stop the persecution of old men accused of sex crimes.

Barbara Hewson told online magazine Spiked that the move was necessary in the wake of the Jimmy Savile scandal to end the "persecution of old men".

She also said that complainants should no longer receive anonymity.

Because now that we can go after them, it's not fair?  How does that work out?

Her remarks come after a number of high-profile arrests over allegations of historical sexual offences in the wake of the Jimmy Savile scandal.

Among those to have been convicted is former BBC broadcaster Stuart Hall, who admitted 14 charges of indecently assaulting girls, including one aged nine, between 1967 and 1985.

Ms Hewson described Hall's crimes as "low-level misdemeanours" which "ordinarily... would not be prosecuted".

14 counts including rape?  That's low-level to her?

"What we have here is the manipulation of the British criminal justice system to produce scapegoats on demand. It is a grotesque spectacle," she said.

"It's time to end this prurient charade, which has nothing to do with justice or the public interest."

She argues for an end to complainant anonymity, a strict statute of limitations to prevent prosecutions after a substantial amount of time has passed and a reduction in the age of consent to 13.

Or, in other words, now that we can get the victims to come forward, we have to stop them.  Sorry, no.  We can get them now, we couldn't before.  Justice must be served.

She said that "touching a 17-year-old's breast, kissing a 13-year-old, or putting one's hand up a 16-year-old's skirt" are not crimes comparable to gang rapes and murders and "anyone suggesting otherwise has lost touch with reality".

I don't even know where to begin with this!  She's not living on this planet any more!
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
Re: Lawyer wants to lower the age of consent to 13
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:44:56 am »
I could see a drop to 16. I COULD see that. But 13? We don't fucking live in the 1700s anymore.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 09:58:19 am »
I could see a drop to 16. I COULD see that. But 13? We don't fucking live in the 1700s anymore.

The age of consent in the UK already is 16.

Distind

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 10:00:58 am »
... what is it creepy old men have about touching teenagers? I didn't like teenagers when I WAS one, and I don't like them any more now ten years later.

Don't grab things that don't belong to you, it's a good general rule.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 10:03:49 am »
What shall we do about all these creepy old perverts? Let's make sex with children legal!

Also she seems to be basically saying touching someone without consent is ok as long as there's no penetration.

How can anyone that stupid do this well in life?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:08:27 am by Katsuro »

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 10:17:14 am »
Japan technically has it at 13 what I mean is that is a federal minimum but each prefacture sets theier own age and they all are higher

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 10:26:17 am »
Japan technically has it at 13 what I mean is that is a federal minimum but each prefacture sets theier own age and they all are higher

People keep saying things like this. That doesn't make it ok.

Also, it's not just her suggestion of lowering the age of consent, it's everything she's said.  She's practicaly rape apologising with some of her comments.  Or at least molestation apologising.  She's sticking up for sick perverts who've abused their positions to take advantage of the vunerable for their own sexual gratification without consideration for the other pary and she's calling their arrests persecution.  Just...what the actual fuck?!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:31:25 am by Katsuro »

Offline Scotsgit

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 11:06:13 am »

Also, it's not just her suggestion of lowering the age of consent, it's everything she's said.  She's practicaly rape apologising with some of her comments.  Or at least molestation apologising.  She's sticking up for sick perverts who've abused their positions to take advantage of the vunerable for their own sexual gratification without consideration for the other pary and she's calling their arrests persecution.  Just...what the actual fuck?!

This.

She basically doesn't want any more of these old men to be prosecuted, instead let's lower the age of consent and there won't be a crime.  She really is living on another world if she believes that to be morally right.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 11:16:37 am »

Yeah, she says that "touching a 17-year-old's breast, kissing a 13-year-old, or putting one's hand up a 16-year-old's skirt are not crimes comparable to gang rapes and murders and anyone suggesting otherwise has lost touch with reality"

They are still crimes though. That's like saying we should make it legal to steal anything worth less than £50 just because it's not as bad as bank robbery.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 11:21:05 am »

Barbara Hewson; Upper class/inbred snob defending upper class/inbred sicko snobs, basically.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 11:51:59 am »
Is this real life?

Offline Scotsgit

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 11:56:36 am »

Barbara Hewson; Upper class/inbred snob defending upper class/inbred sicko snobs, basically.

Sickos they are, but Jimmy Saville and Stuart Hall are far from upper class, something that's pretty consistent with the people mentioned in connection with Operation Yewtree is that they come from all walks of life.

Offline Scotsgit

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 11:57:16 am »
Is this real life?

All too real, although her Chambers are going to decide today whether to keep her on or not.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 11:58:25 am »
I didn't say it was.  I was trying to counter the Japan argument.             

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 12:59:56 pm »
OH good lord the hell did this idiot come from?

Ironbite-so I can go there and sterilize it with fire.