Author Topic: The Japanese Military Can Fight Abroad Again  (Read 3757 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: The Japanese Military Can Fight Abroad Again
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 10:04:33 pm »
The only real problem I see in this is that South Korea already considers Japan to be the greatest threat to them and they've already been setting up their military to defend from Japanese invasion, so this will not help their relations and they'll probably keep ignoring Best-Korea at a time when they are becoming more likely to attack.
Really? They have China and North Korea nearby and they're most worried about Japan? Those guys really know how to hold a grudge.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 12:48:38 am »
The only real problem I see in this is that South Korea already considers Japan to be the greatest threat to them and they've already been setting up their military to defend from Japanese invasion, so this will not help their relations and they'll probably keep ignoring Best-Korea at a time when they are becoming more likely to attack.
Really? They have China and North Korea nearby and they're most worried about Japan? Those guys really know how to hold a grudge.

Japan and the US and South Korea have a very strange relationship, yes.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 01:13:57 am »

To be fair, the last group of people to subjugate and put under heel the populace of Seoul and the surrounding area was... Japan. And none too kindly either.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 01:40:25 am »

To be fair, the last group of people to subjugate and put under heel the populace of Seoul and the surrounding area was... Japan. And none too kindly either.

Sure, 70 years ago. Nowadays though, the idea of Japan annexing South Korea for imperialist glory is kind of dumb, and I just assumed highly developed nations like South Korea would not base their foreign policy around such a stupid concept.

I guess the lesson here is never underestimate human pettiness.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 04:12:22 am »

Japan and the US and South Korea have a very strange relationship, yes.
...Well now that you mention it. Japan is a fanboy/lackey of the country that nuked them and occupied their country while South Korea is still more worried about Japan than the two countries that occupied Seul and tried to take over S-Korea the last time.

As for the Japanese military being used in attack... The way I see it the most likely place for them to invade (rather than simply get pulled into a war that someone else has started) would be that island cluster that they've been arguing about with Russia for decades. But even that is unlikely as a) they are much more peaceful these days. b) Starting a war that could turn into WW3 is not very smart and any country doing it would have to be really desperate and facing some kind of disaster even if they don't start a war.

Then again, they might go to Korea IF Best-Korea tries to attack again, because that IS a local hotspot where it would be in their interests to interfere. I can't see any likely scenario where they would actually declare a war and invade someone.

Maybe they plan to start defending their whaling ships from Greenpeace?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 04:22:53 am »
South Korea is very closely allied to the US. There's no real threat that SthKorea and Japan (or even China) will ever go to war. The problems are largely just trade and other diplomatic silliness.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 04:53:53 pm »
China has been a little too grabby in the Sea of China lately, though. I see Beijing weighing in on the JDF's role change with some rancor.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 06:43:52 pm »
China has been a little too grabby in the Sea of China lately, though. I see Beijing weighing in on the JDF's role change with some rancor.

Yes, this is clearly about containment of China.

-FDR