Author Topic: Signs of self awareness observed in a robot  (Read 2685 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Signs of self awareness observed in a robot
« on: July 17, 2015, 12:58:01 am »
http://futurism.com/links/view/uh-oh-a-robot-just-passed-the-famed-self-awareness-test/

Three robots were put into a classic test of self awareness and one of them passed the test. The test doesn't seem particularly complicated to a human but I suppose having a robot beat it does seem impressive.

-In the puzzle, a fictional king is choosing a new advisor and gathers the three wisest people in the land. He promises the contest will be fair, then puts either a blue or white hat on each of their heads and tells them all that the first person to stand up and correctly deduce the colour of their own hat will become his new advisor.
-Selmer Bringsjord set up a similar situation for the three robots – two were prevented from talking, then all three were asked which one was still able to speak. All attempt to say “I don’t know”, but only one succeeds – and when it hears its own voice, it understands that it was not silenced, saying “Sorry, I know now!”
-It might sound a pretty simple task for a human, but it’s not for a robot – the bot must listen to and understand the question, then hear their own voice saying “I don’t know” and recognise it as distinct from another robot’s voice, then connect that with the original question to conclude that they hadn’t been silenced.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: Signs of self awareness observed in a robot
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 06:33:16 am »
How does the robot distinguish between the voices?

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 10:27:38 am »

Probably the same way your voice sounds different to you than it does to other people.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 11:41:24 am »

Probably the same way your voice sounds different to you than it does to other people.

...That would in itself be an achievement in AI design as far as I understand.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 12:48:08 pm »
Science is wonderful, isn't it?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 01:00:23 pm »
I've seen how this movie ends.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 04:16:11 pm »
OK, what the hell. I assume this is a poorly-reported version of an actual story, but as it is its is meaningless

1) That is not how the blue/white hat puzzle works! At all! If it did, it would not be a puzzle!

2)  What exactly were they testing, a general reasoning scheme that can observe "Only one robot can talk -> I try to talk -> I talk -> That robot is me". Because depending on what you start with, that can be trivial or not. But more important, that's an AI test, why are they doing it with robots rather than just in a computer?

3) Is auditory recognition important? Is that what they were testing?

4) The hell does this have to do with self-awareness? Is it just that the robot recognised itself as the one that spoke? Because that sort of self concept can be trivially programmed.

5) gaaaaaah this is so frustrating.

As an aside, this is the blue/white hat puzzle:

(click to show/hide)
Σא

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 12:14:43 am »
Here is the incident in video.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MceJYhVD_xY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MceJYhVD_xY</a>

I wonder why the other two robots aren't getting up?

http://www.techradar.com/news/world-of-tech/uh-oh-this-robot-just-passed-the-self-awareness-test-1299362

The comments are awesome. This test was a liberal conspiracy to lower the value of humanity and pushing forwards the atheist agenda.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 12:32:07 am »
OK, the video is pretty cool. But it looks like almost all of the reply is written in specifically to maximise empathy? Like, having the robot say "sorry" and stuff. Also doing it with cute robots with auditory processing and not with just software.

It's a pretty cool thing to watch, but the coolness and the science seem dissociated. The actual breakthrough appears to be something called Deontic Cognitive Event Calculus which is apparently what the AI used to prove it was the one that didn't get muted.

It's probably easier to get people to talk about cute robots that respond to verbal questions that to implementations of modal logic.
Σא