Author Topic: Good artists, bad people  (Read 16850 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Good artists, bad people
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2014, 09:14:58 pm »
Spoony leaving TGWTG was a combination he didn't like where the site was going, he didn't like Doug was "retiring" the Nostalgia Critic character, and he wasn't happy with his role on the site of the number 3 guy behind Linkara and Doug.  Add the stress of his life plus a bunch of shit that headed his way and he snapped under pressure.  All in all I found the fact that they managed to make Spoony less of a part of To Boldly Flee and gave us an amazing performance as Terl and they didn't cut that much out of the special after he did leave is an achievement to the producers and directors of the special.

The fact that he was right about JesuOtaku being a lying two-face bitch doesn't excuse the "hey I'll chain you to my radiator until you love me" joke though.

Ironbite-not even a little.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2014, 04:48:03 pm »
Going back a little bit, let's bring up Carlo Gesualdo.  A renaissance-era composer, he wrote some of the most intensely expressive classical music of his time.  However, he was also an abuser, murderer, and all around bastard.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2014, 04:57:58 pm »
In many ways the patrons of Bach were artists since they commissioned him and they were assholes not liking that his music was different.  also good artist but a bad person whoever painted all those portraits of Beethoven he was not white

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2014, 05:09:49 pm »
also good artist but a bad person whoever painted all those portraits of Beethoven he was not white
He wasn't?  What makes you say that?

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2014, 05:25:56 pm »
Wow, I had no idea.  Maybe I'll point that out to a White Nationalist.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2014, 06:02:01 pm »
The claim that Beethoven was black is dubious at best. Those descriptions, when used in a modern context, might imply black ancestry, but in Beethoven's day they were applied to anyone whose complexion and features differed from those of the average northern European. If I were alive back then, many of those descriptors could be applied to me (very curly hair, thick lips, darker features) despite the fact that I have no black ancestry (I do have non-white ancestry, but several of those features were also influenced by white ancestors with darker features -- Welsh, French, etc.). Likewise, research into Beethoven's ancestry indicates that his father was Flemish and his mother had a good amount of Germanic ancestry. All of this adds up to a man with an olive, Mediterranean-like complexion who might have had some Moorish ancestry somewhere down the line, but was (to use modern terms) predominately white.

Straight Dope covered it here: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2598/was-ludwig-van-beethoven-of-african-ancestry
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2014, 12:33:24 pm »
How about Euronymous?  He was one of the most groundbreaking guitarists in extreme metal, but he was also a sick bastard.

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2014, 12:41:32 pm »
How about Euronymous?  He was one of the most groundbreaking guitarists in extreme metal, but he was also a sick bastard.

Or Varg Vikernes for that matter. Great musician, but he's a batshit insane Neo-Nazi.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2014, 12:43:56 pm »

Or Varg Vikernes for that matter. Great musician, but he's a batshit insane Neo-Nazi.
He's a White Nationalist, but not a Neo-Nazi.  He believes in democracy, for one thing.  It's a bit of a sticking point for him.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2014, 12:45:05 pm »

He's a White Nationalist, but not a Neo-Nazi.  He believes in democracy, for one thing.  It's a bit of a sticking point for him.

Which means... what? "America's for the white people, but the jews and blacks are okay"?
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2014, 12:48:39 pm »

Which means... what? "America's for the white people, but the jews and blacks are okay"?
He's not American.  He's Norwegian.  And he's a monstrous racist, he just doesn't like fascism.

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2014, 12:53:01 pm »
Err, thanks for informing me.

On that note, most people in extreme metal are massive sexists, homophobes and transphobes.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2014, 01:34:21 pm »
Not Rammstein

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2014, 02:32:27 pm »
Not Rammstein

Here's their very NSFW performance of Buck Dich.

(click to show/hide)
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov