Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 395807 times)

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #2715 on: December 23, 2018, 09:18:13 am »
Is the wall really so important for the Republicans that they would sacrifice a long term advantage for it? To me it sounds more like Trump's vanity project that is mostly useful for the party to rile up the base and give smoke curtain to whatever else they want to do. Trump himself would do it in a heartbeat but McConnell has to think more tactically. Sure, there is more than enough racist sentiment to make sure there are less brown people entering the country but the unrealistic nature of Trump's wall plan must get through to all but the most thick headed party members.

It's really that important to Trump. A subsidiary of his or his children will build it. Well, have Mexicans build it anyways.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #2716 on: December 24, 2018, 05:00:24 pm »
Is the wall really so important for the Republicans that they would sacrifice a long term advantage for it? To me it sounds more like Trump's vanity project that is mostly useful for the party to rile up the base and give smoke curtain to whatever else they want to do. Trump himself would do it in a heartbeat but McConnell has to think more tactically. Sure, there is more than enough racist sentiment to make sure there are less brown people entering the country but the unrealistic nature of Trump's wall plan must get through to all but the most thick headed party members.

It's really that important to Trump. A subsidiary of his or his children will build it. Well, have Mexicans build it anyways.

This matters for the Republicans only if Trump understands the dynamics of a filibuster well enough to direct his twitter rage towards his own party or threaten to do so. Unless there is someone explaining for him the option to kill the filibuster and keeping his attention there the Republicans can just point their finger at the filibustering Democrats.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2717 on: December 25, 2018, 12:52:21 pm »
So how long do you think Trump is going to keep this temper tantrum government shut down up?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2718 on: December 25, 2018, 01:58:22 pm »
Once again Trump was given an easy opportunity to gain points by behaving like a sensible adult human being, once again he decided instead to make a mess.

There was some Christmas PR thing where he spoke to a 7-year old kid and basically told off the kid for still believing in santa.

I know that this isn't a major deal in any way but you would think that even Trump can just have a two or three sentence exchange in public without being an embarrassment.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2719 on: December 25, 2018, 03:22:33 pm »
Another child died in Customs custody.

https://www.newsweek.com/ice-border-wall-child-death-migrant-1271196

Ironbite-MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #2720 on: December 26, 2018, 03:23:14 am »
So how long do you think Trump is going to keep this temper tantrum government shut down up?

At least until after New Years, I'd say.  Of course, on January 3rd the new Congress takes over, and then there's zero chance Trump gets his wall...

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2721 on: December 26, 2018, 03:36:06 pm »

At least until after New Years, I'd say.  Of course, on January 3rd the new Congress takes over, and then there's zero chance Trump gets his wall...

I could be glib here and say, "Never underestimate the ability of the Democrats to capitulate," but there are two reasons (that come to mind) they might give in (at least somewhat) on this, and they both have to do with who gets impacted by a protracted government shutdown.

1. The markets always take a hit when the government shuts down, and that impacts rich people, including political donors (both to Democrats and Republicans, though, so this might be more of a wash since there'll be pressure from both sides).

2. Many of those federal government employees have to work without pay, to be paid later, or just get furloughed and never get paid for this time--thus losing income (even if only temporarily for some). That's big, considering how many families in the US can't afford an unexpected $700 bill (or even $400), which is essentially what "not being paid for a while" amounts to. And a lot of those workers are in unions, and so those unions will put pressure on Democrats to end the shutdown.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2722 on: December 26, 2018, 03:44:12 pm »
They can also just send the Senate bill that was rejected by the House back to the Senate and see if Turtle wants to play.  If I were in Pelosi's shoes that's exactly what I'd do.  The Shutdown Blame Game, at least for this Presidency, is over seeing as how Orange Piss Pot said he'd be proud to shut the government down over this.  This is on his head now.  And, despite the media trying so hard to "both sides" it, that's not going away.  Turtle wants to get back to business and if Pelosi sends him the thing he sent Ryan, he'll take it.  No matter what Trump wants.

Ironbite-the game is changing and Turtle wants to hold on to power as long as he can.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2723 on: December 26, 2018, 04:42:07 pm »
Trump is blaming the shutdown on the Democrats and as usual his fans are eating it up.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2724 on: December 26, 2018, 04:48:15 pm »
That's just his fans.  The 30% of the country nobody can reach except other idiots.  The rest of the world isn't buying it.

Ironbite-the Orange Piss POt hasn't figured that out.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #2725 on: December 26, 2018, 08:21:36 pm »

Ironbite-the Orange Piss POt hasn't figured that out.

Nor does he really care.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2726 on: December 26, 2018, 08:47:28 pm »
Which is why he's so frustrated.  He doesn't care enough to figure out that that 30% is all he's got right now.  It might be enough to keep him in office but it's not enough to get the GOP elected as they found out in the last election.

Ironbite-only reason they didn't lose the Senate is because of math and 2020 is not kind to the GOP mathematically.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2727 on: December 26, 2018, 10:20:10 pm »
The GOP is going to be the agents of their own ruin - the more they Trump it up, the more they'll get shitstomped. And they don't even realize it.

In my state, we got rid of Dana Rohrabacher, who's been in a long time. And I think Darryl Issa too.

Man Kevin McCarthy must be really fucking nervous.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2728 on: December 27, 2018, 05:42:07 am »
Trump finally visits the troops in the Middle-East.

...And reveals the faces and location of Seal team 5.

But don't ever forget that Obama wore a tan suit.

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
« Reply #2729 on: December 27, 2018, 02:09:48 pm »
And about the possible real reason for that troop visit:

https://twitter.com/billprady/status/1078012198369128448

From a Hollywood producer, but theatrics are the only thing Dump is sorta good at.

Quote from: BillPrady
Pay attention.

Trump's trip to visit troops is cover so he can get to Florida. He needs to get to Mar-a-Lago for NYE.

They sold tickets to a party and promised access to the president.

So, yeah, he will make rich people mad at him if he's still in Washington DC.
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.