Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1111880 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #2940 on: January 09, 2014, 03:53:20 pm »

Seriously?  You're comparing those asshats to the fucking apostles?  I don't think they appreciate the comparison.  By the way, I'm sure there are some Christians out there who would consider that blasphemy.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2941 on: January 09, 2014, 05:31:20 pm »
Gotta say, even if you attribute the innocents they slaughtered to atheism and not more accurately to their powermongering, Christianity still wins the body count by a landslide.

...And if you factor in all the Abrahamic religions, there's no contest.
...That's going a little too far in the opposite direction.  Religion has also done a lot of good in the world.

I don't remember saying all religion is evil, but quite a lot of bloodshed has been committed in the name of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism.  That doesn't mean I don't think they are capable of good, but when they try to demonize atheism, paganism, and satanism well..

I'd just like to say, there's some pretty horrible "morals" in the Bible.  Parts of it do kind of teach some pretty nasty stuff.

"Pretty" horrible?  That's putting it lightly.  Genocide is okay, so long as a deity gives the go-ahead first.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2942 on: January 09, 2014, 05:33:34 pm »
Gotta say, even if you attribute the innocents they slaughtered to atheism and not more accurately to their powermongering, Christianity still wins the body count by a landslide.

...That's going a little too far in the opposite direction.  Religion has also done a lot of good in the world.

I don't remember saying all religion is evil, but quite a lot of bloodshed has been committed in the name of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism.  That doesn't mean I don't think they are capable of good, but when they try to demonize atheism, paganism, and satanism well..

I'd just like to say, there's some pretty horrible "morals" in the Bible.  Parts of it do kind of teach some pretty nasty stuff.

"Pretty" horrible?  That's putting it lightly.  Genocide is okay, so long as a deity gives the go-ahead first.
It should be noted that this was in a time and place when genocide was considered normal.  If anything, the Hebrews were lenient by the standards of the setting.  Of course, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be criticized, but it's best to keep this in perspective.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2943 on: January 09, 2014, 05:43:24 pm »
Anjezë Gonxhe Bojaxhiu, alias "Mother Teresa" may have helped many people, but she was still a cold-hearted bitch who happily took money-gifts from people who stole the retirements of hundreds of old folks, rubbed shoulders with the Duvalier family, and whose "Home for the Dying" was more a house of suffering because she wanted the people to be "enlightened," because she believed that suffering brought one closer to Christ.

"Keeping things in perspective" almost always seems to be code for "don't make them out to be the complete dickheads they really are."  The Ancient Jews, or at the very least their leadership, were complete dickheads who thought genocide was okay because their collective hallucination told them so.  Genocide is not okay.  Anti-semitism was normal in Hitler's time, too, but he's the modern personification of evil for very good reasons, one of them notably being fucking attempted genocide.  No one, no matter what gender, creed, time, age, or culture is ever exempt from the "genocide is not fucking okay" rule, and those that embark upon and/or order it should be treated as the living abominations they are and/or were.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2944 on: January 09, 2014, 05:44:31 pm »
Anjezë Gonxhe Bojaxhiu, alias "Mother Teresa" may have helped many people, but she was still a cold-hearted bitch who happily took money-gifts from people who stole the retirements of hundreds of old folks, rubbed shoulders with the Duvalier family, and whose "Home for the Dying" was more a house of suffering because she wanted the people to be "enlightened," because she believed that suffering brought one closer to Christ.

"Keeping things in perspective" almost always seems to be code for "don't make them out to be the complete dickheads they really are."  The Ancient Jews, or at the very least their leadership, were complete dickheads who thought genocide was okay because their collective hallucination told them so.  Genocide is not okay.  Anti-semitism was normal in Hitler's time, too, but he's the modern personification of evil for very good reasons, one of them notably being fucking attempted genocide.  No one, no matter what gender, creed, time, age, or culture is ever exempt from the "genocide is not fucking okay" rule, and those that embark upon and/or order it should be treated as the living abominations they are and/or were.
Personally, I suspect Mother Theresa's misdeeds were exaggerated, but that's neither here nor there.

But back on topic.  I never said that genocide was okay.  Stop putting words in my mouth.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:47:05 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2945 on: January 09, 2014, 05:47:14 pm »
If that's how you read it, I apologize, that was not my intent.  I just have a severe dislike for what I see as apologetics for any kind of horrifying crime, and its not the first time I've heard the "keep things in perspective" line used as a kind of excuse for the horrid actions of others.  If that was not your intent, I apologize for that as well, but I stand by what I said in regards to the genocide supposedly committed by the Jews in their holy book.  Its the biggest reason I left Christianity, I just couldn't reconcile the desire to do good with worshiping a god that is okay with murder, rape, and genocide.  Didn't help that I discovered that it, in all likelihood, doesn't exist in the first place.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:49:00 pm by RavynousHunter »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2946 on: January 09, 2014, 05:47:52 pm »
If that's how you read it, I apologize, that was not my intent.  I just have a severe dislike for what I see as apologetics for any kind of horrifying crime, and its not the first time I've heard the "keep things in perspective" line used as a kind of excuse for the horrid actions of others.  If that was not your intent, I apologize for that as well, but I stand by what I said in regards to the genocide supposedly committed by the Jews in their holy book.
It's okay.  I forgive you.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #2947 on: January 09, 2014, 06:16:22 pm »

It should be noted that this was in a time and place when genocide was considered normal.  If anything, the Hebrews were lenient by the standards of the setting.  Of course, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be criticized, but it's best to keep this in perspective.

Yeah, but the Bible is supposedly, acording to a hell of a lot of people, where we should draw our moral code from.  And I don't think "that's just how people were back then" is any kind of mitigating cirumstance for GOD ordering genocide and rape, seeing as how he's supposed to be the source of morality with his 10 commanments and all, one of which is particularly hypocritical.

Anyone who tells people to use the Bible as their mroal compass in the modern world can quite frankly fuck right off.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:19:52 pm by Katsuro »

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2948 on: January 09, 2014, 06:19:32 pm »
what gets me is sunday schools that use Jerecho to show faith in god accomplishes many things
maybe not use the story where they murder all the men and kids and take the women as sex slaves

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2949 on: January 09, 2014, 10:04:04 pm »
Read "Jericho," immediately thought you were referencing the post-apocalyptic American TV drama, which would be odd to mention in Sunday school...

"And lo, did Mayor Johnston Greene make an edict enforcing the rationing of food, and the Lord saw that it was good!"

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2950 on: January 09, 2014, 10:59:29 pm »
Truthfully a lot of youth religious crap is really poorly worded like I used to volunteer at bible school and one time in 2004 olympics were on so we used gospel games and followed paul's trip to rome
i sure hope they don't find out what happens when he got there

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2951 on: January 10, 2014, 10:23:30 pm »

Yeah, 'cause that's sure to get people on your side.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2952 on: January 11, 2014, 12:41:07 am »
you must be new here
Die cis scum is actually an in joke

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2953 on: January 11, 2014, 12:44:32 am »
you must be new here
If it is, it's a stupid in-joke.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2954 on: January 11, 2014, 02:19:12 am »
you must be new here
If it is, it's a stupid in-joke.
The way I've seen it used it sometimes doesn't look like a joke.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!