Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1112806 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #4560 on: December 10, 2015, 12:26:39 pm »
I think he's of the mind that non STEM degrees are effectively worthless.  I...can't say I disagree with that notion, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve an education like the rest of us with real degrees.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4561 on: December 10, 2015, 12:43:16 pm »
I think he's of the mind that non STEM degrees are effectively worthless.  I...can't say I disagree with that notion, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve an education like the rest of us with real degrees.
Languages aren't included in STEM are they? What about history? Psychology?

I think there are plenty of studies that that do not fall within the STEM category but without which a society will greatly suffer. Culture is important as well.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4562 on: December 10, 2015, 01:31:43 pm »
And business, banking, insurance, communications, law, design, entertainment and all the other fields that make civilization organized and enjoyable, as well as structurally and systemically functional.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #4563 on: December 10, 2015, 01:44:08 pm »
And business, banking, insurance, communications, law, design, entertainment and all the other fields that make civilization organized and enjoyable, as well as structurally and systemically functional.

I like how you just listed a bunch of useful subjects but sneakily added useless wank like "communications" and "entertainment" as if no one would notice.

My masters in bagpipe management should come in handy at interview XD

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #4564 on: December 10, 2015, 02:38:49 pm »

I like how you just listed a bunch of useful subjects but sneakily added useless wank like "communications" and "entertainment" as if no one would notice.

On the other hand, that bachelors in communications or entertainment would come in really handy at an interview, say, at a newspaper, or a TV station... or do journalism and entertainment not exist in Britain?

Then again, given the Daily Mail, maybe there really is no such thing as journalism there...
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4565 on: December 10, 2015, 02:48:03 pm »

On the other hand, that bachelors in communications or entertainment would come in really handy at an interview, say, at a newspaper, or a TV station... or do journalism and entertainment not exist in Britain?

Then again, given the Daily Mail, maybe there really is no such thing as journalism there...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI</a>
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #4566 on: December 10, 2015, 03:46:28 pm »

Who is going to produce, write, record, act in and distribute your favorite films and tv shows, Conty? An astrophysicist? A mathematician?

Who is going to produce, crew manage, research, present, record and distribute your thrice daily or continuous news programs? A geologist? A biochemist?

Who is going to compose the wording, edit and choose photos and layout and produce video presentations to promote business enterprises, Conty? Material scientists? Civil engineers?
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4567 on: December 10, 2015, 04:24:43 pm »

Go back to Reddit.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4568 on: December 10, 2015, 05:03:38 pm »

I think there are plenty of studies that that do not fall within the STEM category but without which a society will greatly suffer. Culture is important as well.

Languages, history, and especially psychology fall into the Science category, so yes, they are part of the STEM (Science-Technology-Engineering-Mathematics) field.

Go back to Reddit.

I was being facetious with the "real degree" quip, so bite me.  I'm not an elitist, cracker.

STEM majors simply have the widest appeal because they're more widely applicable in the modern world.  There's a reason computer science majors are commanding such high median salaries.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4569 on: December 10, 2015, 05:17:50 pm »

Languages, history, and especially psychology fall into the Science category, so yes, they are part of the STEM (Science-Technology-Engineering-Mathematics) field.

Go back to Reddit.

I was being facetious with the "real degree" quip, so bite me.  I'm not an elitist, cracker.

STEM majors simply have the widest appeal because they're more widely applicable in the modern world.  There's a reason computer science majors are commanding such high median salaries.

I was kidding.  Wish there was a way to communicate that through text.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #4570 on: December 10, 2015, 05:33:38 pm »

wait, there's no difference between social and hard sciences in the usa?
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #4571 on: December 10, 2015, 05:54:34 pm »
That would make a degree in French a STEM degree, not Liberal Arts. Obviously, nearly all fields involve data recording, analysis and interpretation to different extents, and the skills needed to perform those actions are  basic in STEM disciplines, but they are not STEM intensive. Conjugating verbs is a way of organizing and recording communication data in the purest sense of the word. But I don't think it makes one a scientist, a medical doctor, an engineer or mathematician.

* corrected "subjugating" to "conjugating" verbs, because had I a senior moment and JUSTICE!!1!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 01:16:17 pm by mellenORL »

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #4572 on: December 10, 2015, 06:58:28 pm »
That would make a degree in French a STEM degree, not Liberal Arts. Obviously, nearly all fields involve data recording, analysis and interpretation to different extents, and the skills needed to perform those actions are  basic in STEM disciplines, but they are not STEM intensive. Subjugating verbs is a way of organizing and recording communication data in the purest sense of the word. But I don't think it makes one a scientist, a medical doctor, an engineer or mathematician.

huh, for us, it's either hard sciences (math, physics, biology, engineering...) or the humanities (social sciences, arts and litterature). we totally don't have that distinction here, although hard sciences are of course more prestigious than most humanities (politics and law notwithstanding).
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4573 on: December 10, 2015, 07:18:02 pm »

Go back to Reddit.

I was kidding.  Wish there was a way to communicate that through text.
Aah, no hard feelings, then.

Also, I view languages as science since you're breaking down and understanding how the language in question works so you can use it effectively.  Kinda like learning a programming language.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #4574 on: December 10, 2015, 07:57:06 pm »
Subjugating verbs is a way of organizing and recording communication data in the purest sense of the word

Subjugating verbs.

That's just brilliant.

CHECK YOUR NOUN PRIVILEGE!

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."