Author Topic: Ferguson murder  (Read 73283 times)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Re: Ferguson murder
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2014, 10:17:57 am »
I hate to sound naive, but don't cops have tazers and/or pepper spray and/or a baton for dealing with criminals in a non-lethal way?

... And beanbag shotgun shells, LRAD, pepperballs...

(I almost misspelled shotgun as "shitgun", but autocorrect caught it.)
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2014, 10:37:46 am »
I hate to sound naive, but don't cops have tazers and/or pepper spray and/or a baton for dealing with criminals in a non-lethal way?

I meant that even if the kid was charging at him he should have been able to deal with him via tazer or something.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2014, 12:26:42 pm »

I meant that even if the kid was charging at him he should have been able to deal with him via tazer or something.

They do. Not all officers carry all less-lethal options, but it's highly doubtful that Wilson had nothing but a handgun to subdue criminals.

Also, the ongoing claim is that Brown attempted to grab Wilson's gun and that escalated the situation to require deadly force. Never mind the improbability of this claim (Wilson was sitting in his car when it occurred, which would have required Brown to reach around Wilson's body to try and yank it out of a retention holster that likely would not give up the gun at all to him), the situation would have deescalated as soon as Brown was no longer attempting to gain control of the gun. There's no legal justification for shooting him purely for grabbing at the gun unless he's in the process of taking it when shot.

Of course, we live in a world where "the ground under your feet" and "the curb" are classified as deadly weapons and someone punching you in the face is now cause for deadly force.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2014, 12:54:12 pm »
The report from the police are that Brown and the officer were struggling in the car when the first shot took place, the officer than continued to fire as Brown fled.  The whole incident probably took only a few seconds, if it did play out as the police said.  In that case the officer is not going to be guilty of any wrongdoing.  Brown being 35 feet away is not going to matter.  Police are trained that once they decide to use dealy force to continue until the threat is neutralized.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2014, 01:28:30 pm »
The report from the police are that Brown and the officer were struggling in the car when the first shot took place, the officer than continued to fire as Brown fled.  The whole incident probably took only a few seconds, if it did play out as the police said.  In that case the officer is not going to be guilty of any wrongdoing.  Brown being 35 feet away is not going to matter.  Police are trained that once they decide to use dealy force to continue until the threat is neutralized.

No, police are trained to use deadly force against someone who is a threat that requires deadly force. As soon as the situation deescalates, they must stop attempting to kill the target. If someone is holding a knife and you shoot them and they drop the knife after being shot, you can no longer shoot them.

As soon as the unarmed Brown fled, he was no longer a threat that required deadly force and nothing will make shooting him legal except the ridiculous corruption in our legal system.

This is the same police department that arrested the wrong man, held him in a one-person cell with another inmate, beat him until he had a concussion and charged him with property destruction for bleeding on their uniforms, then let him go.

This is the same country in which a federal court dismissed the charges against the officers despite them perjuring themselves on the stand, as it determined that the perjury and injuries were "too minor" to bother dealing with.

In short, ha ha fuck your statement. Cops can easily get away with illegal actions as long as the courts keep letting them get away with it and apologists keep trying to excuse their behavior. Police officers are the only people in the world who can shoot an unarmed person while they're fleeing or surrendering and they get people trying to excuse their behavior instead of prosecuting them.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:30:27 pm by chitoryu12 »
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2014, 01:45:22 pm »
Not to mention that Brown and the police officer were struggling in the first place because the police officer attempted to drag him into the car.

It was the police officer who initiated conflict in the first place.  All because a couple of black people were walking down the middle of the street.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2014, 01:54:33 pm »
Not to mention that Brown and the police officer were struggling in the first place because the police officer attempted to drag him into the car.

It was the police officer who initiated conflict in the first place.  All because a couple of black people were walking down the middle of the street.

That is one of the other things that does not make sense.  Unless you are competing in a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu you don't try and pull someone on top of you.   
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2014, 02:32:22 pm »

That is one of the other things that does not make sense.  Unless you are competing in a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu you don't try and pull someone on top of you.   

You're assuming the policeman acted with logic instead of emotion.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2014, 03:40:09 pm »
That's the military you're thinking of.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 01:13:45 pm by I am lizard »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2014, 08:18:01 pm »
That's the military your thinking of.
What about his thinking of?

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2014, 08:18:59 pm »
That's the thing that struck me too...whatever version he either was shot while running away (no threat) or  surrendering with his hands up (no threat).

Regardless of the intervening events it sounds like murder/manslaughter to me. Also incredibly bad policing to fire randomly after a fleeing suspect. The police should be banned from watching Holywood cop movies.

Although this reminds me of the Naked Gun movie I saw on TV last night where Lelsie Nielsen says: "To think the next time I shoot a man I could be charged with murder!"
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 08:41:18 pm by davedan »

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2014, 10:43:28 pm »
Frankly, with this cops, at this point I wouldn't believe them if they told me rain was wet.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2014, 11:09:15 pm »
Reports are trickling in that the cops are using tear gas and sonic weapons on people walking around town.  2 HOURS BEFORE CURFEW IS SUPPOSED TO START!

Ironbite-when do we burn this place to the ground?

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2014, 11:52:47 pm »
For those with a little faith in humanity left, sorry I have to squelch some of it.

The Klan is doing a fundraising drive for the policeman who shot Michael Brown.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2014, 11:54:46 pm »
And you know what type of cops showed up to this one?

BIKE COPS!

Ironbite-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!  *supernovas*