Author Topic: Ferguson murder  (Read 73274 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Ferguson murder
« Reply #210 on: September 28, 2014, 12:23:10 pm »
Ferguson residents complained about the bracelets, which are black with "I am Darren Wilson" in white lettering, at a meeting with federal officials this week.

Love the subtlety of white lettering on black bands. Just scrap the entire Ferguson PD and hire private security companies to patrol, instead. After a few months, poll the residents as to which company they want to buy out and convert into their new police department.

Yup. Much more like it. That's actually a small but highly regarded security company from Atlanta. No body armor. No AR's. No murdering.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #211 on: September 28, 2014, 01:20:25 pm »
Just scrap the entire Ferguson PD and hire private security companies to patrol, instead.

Not to downplay the ongoing disaster in Ferguson, but that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. You're trading out a force that is (supposed to be) accountable to the citizens with forces accountable to whatever maximizes profits.

No AR's. No murdering.

New Orleans tried that experiment after Hurricane Katrina and they had a lot of armed goons doing a lot of murdering. I do not trust these companies enough to assume the same thing wouldn't happen again.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #212 on: September 28, 2014, 01:55:40 pm »
Just scrap the entire Ferguson PD and hire private security companies to patrol, instead.

Not to downplay the ongoing disaster in Ferguson, but that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. You're trading out a force that is (supposed to be) accountable to the citizens with forces accountable to whatever maximizes profits.

No AR's. No murdering.

New Orleans tried that experiment after Hurricane Katrina and they had a lot of armed goons doing a lot of murdering. I do not trust these companies enough to assume the same thing wouldn't happen again.

The sad thing is that there's not always an easy solution.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #213 on: September 28, 2014, 02:02:04 pm »
Ironchew, did you see where I suggested that the "winning" security firm would be bought out by the City of Ferguson and the personnel incorporated into a new Department? I meant that as a regular, City government police department. In many states, to qualify for a license, armed security personnel must get their basic training under contract with local Sheriff's or even Highway Patrol police academies...but typically not the full 9 week boot camp, so not enough to "militarize" their mindsets. Any random group of licensed and surety bonded armed security guards could arguably be better than the institutionalized racial profiling, automatic stop-and-frisk, empty-your-clip-at-the-first-imagined-excuse modus operandi of all of the notorious commando PD's we keep seeing in the news. Regardless, just wiping clean an entire "problem" PD is a good idea, since that totally disrupts the interpersonal workplace dynamics that engendered and sustained corruption in the first place. Re-build the PD with all new hires from far outside of the community. And make sure they all pass background checks, personality and psych screening!
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #214 on: September 28, 2014, 02:47:18 pm »
Re-build the PD with all new hires from far outside of the community.

That's just the trick, isn't it? Part of the problem the Ferguson police had in the first place was that a lot of them lived outside the community, which encouraged them to treat the place like a warzone full of scary black men.

Whatever they decide to do over there, the people that live there need to be in control of the process. Private firms are not accountable to them at the end of the day.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #215 on: September 28, 2014, 03:50:44 pm »

That's just the trick, isn't it? Part of the problem the Ferguson police had in the first place was that a lot of them lived outside the community, which encouraged them to treat the place like a warzone full of scary black men.

Whatever they decide to do over there, the people that live there need to be in control of the process. Private firms are not accountable to them at the end of the day.

Ironchew's right.  I'd say a major cause of police brutality is cops viewing themselves as apart from the community.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #216 on: September 28, 2014, 06:10:40 pm »
And now a cop's been shot.

http://news.yahoo.com/authorities-police-officer-shot-ferguson-033939406.html

Why do I get the feeling things are gonna get even worse?

The media and Twitter were in hysterics, but the two officers who have been shot were totally unrelated to the protests. One was an off-duty cop out of uniform in their civilian vehicle who had a bullet through the window and the other was pursuing a burglary suspect. They're as related to the protests as every other crime in the town.

That is the absolute worst idea. Police departments already often suffer from a disconnect between the police and the community, resulting in them viewing the civilians as a group of "others" that they feel little attachment to and simply treat as potential threats. The vast, vast majority of conflict between current Ferguson PD and Ferguson residents is caused by the Ferguson police having little to no connection to the community that they ostensibly protected. A major complaint among Ferguson residents (some of whom I actually talk to over on Something Awful) is that their government is predominately white and has zero connection to the people that they govern. Bringing in an outside security firm to take over policing duties would be about as effective as hiring a PMC to act as your national military.

If you want to solve the town's policing problem, the only way to do that is by populating the police AND the government with Ferguson residents who actually have relationships with the people they serve.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #217 on: September 28, 2014, 07:29:23 pm »

This is 2014, people...
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #218 on: September 28, 2014, 08:08:48 pm »
Why not just an independent anti-corruption commission outside the police force funded through some revenue stream that cannot be tinkered with by the government and with appointments made on a bipartisan, state-wide, basis?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #219 on: September 28, 2014, 11:57:22 pm »
So how long until the Ferguson Riots start?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #220 on: September 29, 2014, 12:24:49 am »
Huh?

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #221 on: September 29, 2014, 12:32:23 am »
Huh?

You know, when the Wilson asshole goes free and the whole city explodes. Kinda like the LA Riots from 20 years ago.

No wait, almost exactly like the LA Riots from 20 years ago.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #222 on: September 29, 2014, 12:45:04 am »
Whenever the Grand Jury comes back.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #223 on: September 29, 2014, 01:29:23 am »
Huh?

You know, when the Wilson asshole goes free and the whole city explodes. Kinda like the LA Riots from 20 years ago.

No wait, almost exactly like the LA Riots from 20 years ago.
Doubt that will happen.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #224 on: September 29, 2014, 08:38:02 am »

This is 2014, people...

So where's the skepticism towards these people receiving threats?

After all, they can just as easily be faking all of this shit.  Even/especially the syringe.

Somebody started trusting random people on Twitter? After all, the evidence may be there for you to see but it doesn't exist unless you acknowledge it!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs</a>
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:42:37 am by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.