Author Topic: Fun times in Syria  (Read 30922 times)

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
Re: Fun times in Syria
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 10:10:38 pm »
Well here's a fun story that just happened. Me and my little brother had just pulled in to our driveway on the way back from going to pick up food for dinner and he gets oout to open the gate. Once he gets out I'm fiddling with buttons trying to figure out how to turn off the light I accidentally turned on earlier. In the process I hit a button that changes the radio station to Dan Savage's Savage Nation.

Oh boy, I think I lost noticeable brain mass from that minute of listening to it. He said Something to the effect of -

"I've been watching the BBC and they're reporting what the American news stations won't, that US warships have been sighted of the coast of Iceland (I think that's what he said) on their way to Syria. Obama's going to strike Syria in the night while Americans are too busy partying to care!

Obama needs to be impeached. He should be dragged before the war crimes tribunal in the Hague! These are definitely war crimes he's committing! He's attacking Syria after they used chemicals once! The recent attack hasn't even been confirmed and it's probably the rebels!

This is nothing like the Holocaust. Even if it was it would be like bombing the trains of prisoners to stop it!"

At this point my little brother was getting back in the car and I promptly shut the radio off, both because I couldn't listen to it anymore and because I didn't want to expose my little brother to the concentrated stupid that was spewed forth.

Ha! the traitor! Everyone knows BBC is a puppet of the NWO! A real American only listens to Fox and Rush.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 11:28:08 pm »
As long as my country stays the fuck out of it, you guys do whatever the fuck you want.

One more reason to hope that Abbott doesn't get elected, I suppose.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 11:39:00 pm »
Other issue with Russia:  Because Syria is an ally, they have to make at least a token protest.  If they let this go through without at least making the gesture, it would cause their other allies to lose faith in them.  Same reason why China and Russia tend to oppose sanctions against North Korea.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 11:45:30 pm »
Damn, I feel really conflicted about this. One the one hand, I understand that our track record of successful interventions isn't exactly stellar, considering Afghanistan and Iraq. I understand that there is not a very well united rebel group, nor one we can be sure that it is right to support, what with the Islamist influences. But I honestly feel guilty about possessing the power and ability to do something good like aiding the overthrow of a brutal dictatorship and yet not doing it. Damn it all, why must everything be so complicated?
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 11:52:10 pm »
thats not dan savage that mochael savage

Art Vandelay

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 12:01:18 am »
Damn that Mochael Savage.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 01:30:31 am »
Damn, I feel really conflicted about this. One the one hand, I understand that our track record of successful interventions isn't exactly stellar, considering Afghanistan and Iraq. I understand that there is not a very well united rebel group, nor one we can be sure that it is right to support, what with the Islamist influences. But I honestly feel guilty about possessing the power and ability to do something good like aiding the overthrow of a brutal dictatorship and yet not doing it. Damn it all, why must everything be so complicated?

Actually, the rebels have made it easier. The Islamists and the secularists are fighting each other. So we can basically just support the Free Syrian Army - which isn't that united, but they're pretty much all the people we like.

A Libyan-style intervention should do the trick.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 01:34:36 am »

This is exactly how I feel about it. Not sure what to think.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 07:42:00 am »

how about instead of dropping bombs and choosing a camp (or choosing between the plague and cholera) we send in aid, logistical support for the civilians? keep the armed guard around so that the rebels or the army can't get the supplies and make sure that its helping the population and not fuelling the fire?

let warriors wage war, let the civilians live.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 08:55:10 am »
Really doesn't need to be. People just are so worried about interfering in anything or ever daring to get involved in other people's business that they'd rather let thousands die. The money spent on our military isn't exactly refundable. The least we can do is not let brutal dictators continue to torture and kill people. However, apparently it's racist to acknowledge that there are dictators in the Middle East.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 10:14:05 am »

how about instead of dropping bombs and choosing a camp (or choosing between the plague and cholera) we send in aid, logistical support for the civilians? keep the armed guard around so that the rebels or the army can't get the supplies and make sure that its helping the population and not fuelling the fire?

let warriors wage war, let the civilians live.
Yeah.... no. Much as I'd like to agree with you, food/medical supplies is too hot a target, and putting our troops in Syrian territory, regardless of the reasons, will be seen as an act of war. Do you really think Russia will stand for that, given their behavior?
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2013, 12:02:06 pm »
Relevant article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324463604579044642794711158.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

Contrary to many media accounts, the war in Syria is not being waged entirely, or even predominantly, by dangerous Islamists and al Qaeda die-hards. The jihadists pouring into Syria from countries like Iraq and Lebanon are not flocking to the front lines. Instead they are concentrating their efforts on consolidating control in the northern, rebel-held areas of the country.

Groups like Jabhat al Nusra, an al Qaeda affiliate, are all too happy to take credit for successes on the battlefield, and are quick to lay claim to opposition victories on social media. This has often led to the impression that these are spearheading the fight against the Syrian government. They are not.

The extremists and moderates have split into two groups. There is now a three-way war in Syria, and it's fairly obvious which side to support.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 12:16:19 pm »
If the West had intervened earlier, al-Nusra et al would never had gained the support they had.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 12:24:59 pm »
It is not our job to police the world. The only reason I can justify getting involved is if the fighting spreads to neighboring countries that want no part of it. Otherwise, it's an internal affair that Syria needs to deal with on its own.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 12:31:54 pm »
I'm very afraid that this turn into another clusterfuck like Iraq, and Afghanistan, and we'll end up bogged down for years to come. I would feel better we had a coalition of some sort to go in to it, and it seems that Obama is rushing into it, funny given that he had a problem when Bush rushed into Iraq.