Author Topic: Fire at Notre Dame  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
  • Death to the False Emperor!
Fire at Notre Dame
« on: April 15, 2019, 02:48:29 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47941794

Jesus Fucking Christ, hasn't Paris suffered enough!?
Anti-authoritarian, anti-extremist, anti-bullshit.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Fire at Notre Dame
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 05:19:06 pm »
The part of me that doesn't care about the relics of religion could only care insofar as the blaze is contained to the building and doesn't spread.

The part of me that wants to preserve important pieces of history (for instance, as museums) hopes as much as possible can be saved.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 05:48:18 pm »
The part of me that doesn't care about the relics of religion could only care insofar as the blaze is contained to the building and doesn't spread.

The part of me that wants to preserve important pieces of history (for instance, as museums) hopes as much as possible can be saved.

The relics of religion aren't in the building right now since its closed for renovation. The only thing we're losing is some of the historical stuff (mainly windows).
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 06:14:43 pm »

The relics of religion aren't in the building right now since its closed for renovation. The only thing we're losing is some of the historical stuff (mainly windows).

Yes, but the art--some of which couldn't be removed, like the windows, or the carving of the Last Judgment--was religiously inspired, plus the building itself is a freaking cathedral. It is itself a relic of religion.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 06:30:58 pm »

Yes, but the art--some of which couldn't be removed, like the windows, or the carving of the Last Judgment--was religiously inspired, plus the building itself is a freaking cathedral. It is itself a relic of religion.

And?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 06:38:04 pm »

And?

And so, if it were solely of religious significance, it could burn for all I care.

But since it's also of historical and artistic significance, I hope the building is saved.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 09:00:37 pm »
Wouldn't worry about it.  France says the fire's under control.

Ironbite-it can be rebuilt.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 12:00:47 am »
Trump had to chime in with advice telling the French to drop water on the cathedral from a plane. When they didn't do so (because it would have been stupid) Trump-cult has decided that the French are letting the cathedral be destroyed just to spite Trump because they refuse to use good ideas if Trump is the one who came up with it.

And conspiracy theorists are already claiming that this was a Jewish plot or a satanic ritual or whatever.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 04:18:10 am »
Trump had to chime in with advice telling the French to drop water on the cathedral from a plane. When they didn't do so (because it would have been stupid) Trump-cult has decided that the French are letting the cathedral be destroyed just to spite Trump because they refuse to use good ideas if Trump is the one who came up with it.

And conspiracy theorists are already claiming that this was a Jewish plot or a satanic ritual or whatever.

Or like Glen Beck implied it was a secret Muslim attack that those european commies are covering up due to political correctness run amok.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 04:54:59 am »
What I want to know is why the fuck are people donating money to restore it when the Catholic Church already has all of the money in the world? At least when people donate to an already obscenely overfunded Kickstarter, there are usually stretch goals involved.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 11:38:59 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 05:24:54 am »
It's not owned by the Catholic church though. The government of France has owned it since the revolution.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 06:01:31 am »
Yes, and they let the Church use it as the Archbishop of Paris's HQ and the occasional mass, in exchange for keeping the lights on and the floors clean. The Church are the ones responsible for restoring it.

It's just a massive shame that there's nothing stopping them from trying to mooch off of pretty much everyone in the process.

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 01:14:14 pm »
Maybe people just want to chip in. If there'd been an option to donate to rebuild the WTC, I think a lot of people would've contributed to that too.

On a side note, I heard some idiots have been using this to criticize the French president. Yeah, there are legit reasons to complain about Manny Macaroon, but how was this in any way his fault?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 02:17:03 pm »
If individual people want to chip in, that's fine. My complaint is governments pledging aid for this when the two bodies responsible for the maintenance, upkeep and use of the cathedral, the Government of France and the Catholic Church, have enough money to do it themselves, and said governments could better spend that money elsewhere.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 09:08:55 pm »
Sometimes, Dpareja, it seems like you and Jack freaking Chick might've found common ground about the Catholic Church.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer