Author Topic: Greatest Songwriters of the 20th Century  (Read 1687 times)

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Greatest Songwriters of the 20th Century
« on: April 30, 2014, 04:05:37 pm »
I've always thought these sort thread was/is a lot of fun. And since we haven't done anything like this in a while, and since its raining heavily here so there isn't much else for me to do, and because it's my birthday, I figured I'll start something.
As the title says, who do you think should make the cut as some of the greatest songwriters of the 20th century? Spanning the decades and genres and the globe, just as long as they did the bulk of their writing somewhere between 1900-1999. Feel free to put up links, just make sure copyright laws are not violated. And please remember, music is highly subjective and I intentionally left criteria for greatest blank. This is supposed to be all in good fun.

So, in no particular order, here goes:
Warren Zevon. You may know him from songs like Werewolves of London or Lawyers, Guns, and Money bit some of his other songs are well worth a look. Check out Genius or The Vast Indifference of Heaven.

Randy Newman. I can't stand his voice, but the man knows how to set the mood for a movie.

John Williams. One of the few people still composing music as opposed to writing.

Neil Young. While I may not care for his politics, his work with Buffalo Springfield and Crosby, Sills, and Nash along with his solo career warrant his being on my list.

Paul Simon. Not much else I can say about him.

Mac Macanally. He's the one cowriting a LOT of Jimmy Buffett tunes. If you're willing to look past Margaritaville to songs like Brahma Fear, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Mark Knopfler. He might not be the poet Paul Simon is, but Knopfler certainly knows exactly what his guitar is capable of. And I find many of his songs, both solo and with Dire Straits, very soothing.

Last on my list for right now is Robert Johnson. While he may not have invented the blues, being one of the pioneers in recording the genre, plus the back story/legend make him worthy of a top seed.

So there are some of mine. Let's see what you all have.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Greatest Songwriters of the 20th Century
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 04:29:54 pm »
I think it's about time songwriters got some credit.  Let me get back to you.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 07:04:34 pm »
Freddie Mercury.

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 07:25:48 pm »

Offline Dan

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 03:12:42 pm »
Bob Dylan

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 06:33:08 pm »
Bob Dylan

That reminds me: Gordon Lightfoot.