Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1651059 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #4575 on: October 20, 2014, 02:21:44 pm »
Eeh, sometimes, you gotta go with the one that's just less of an asshole than their opponents.  Just how shit is, sometimes.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #4576 on: October 20, 2014, 02:41:46 pm »
Eeh, sometimes, you gotta go with the one that's just less of an asshole than their opponents.  Just how shit is, sometimes.

I disagree, to the point where I think that's a worse idea than not voting at all. Your options are restricted in a first-past-the-post system, but if enough people vote for a party that represents their interests and one of those parties gains enough momentum, it starts cannibalizing the "mainstream" parties. Said mainstream parties respond by running candidates or supporting policies that are very similar to the upstart party in an attempt to win back votes. At least in the United States, this worked in the 1930s with the Communist party and the Democrats and it could still work today.

Voting for the lesser evil perpetuates shitty politics and it shifts the range of acceptable political opinions further away from you.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #4577 on: October 20, 2014, 02:58:23 pm »
Sadly, most of the time, third parties in America tend to be election spoilers for the party closest to them, like with Nader throwing the Florida vote to Bush in 2000. Even the most successful third-party run in 1912 accomplished the same thing, dividing the Republicans and landing the Democrats in the White House.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #4578 on: October 20, 2014, 03:40:35 pm »
Sadly, most of the time, third parties in America tend to be election spoilers for the party closest to them, like with Nader throwing the Florida vote to Bush in 2000. Even the most successful third-party run in 1912 accomplished the same thing, dividing the Republicans and landing the Democrats in the White House.

That's the whole point. You sabotage the campaigns of one mainstream party so that they come crawling to your party's platform in the next election cycle. That's how to shift the range of acceptable political opinions towards your issues.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4579 on: October 20, 2014, 04:05:35 pm »
Okay, I have a pertinent question for ya, Chew: how?  How do you propose we, realistically, go about doing what you're talking about?  Remember that we're not millionaires, and that the game is critically rigged against us.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4580 on: October 20, 2014, 05:55:03 pm »
Maybe George Washington was right about political parties....

Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #4581 on: October 20, 2014, 06:26:37 pm »
Okay, I have a pertinent question for ya, Chew: how?  How do you propose we, realistically, go about doing what you're talking about?  Remember that we're not millionaires, and that the game is critically rigged against us.

If I started discussing realistic options you would move the goalposts on me. Fuck realistic -- I aim for optimistic.

If we stopped paying attention to the shills telling us not to vote, that would be a start (yes, I know propaganda is tailor-made by top-notch psychologists to be spoon-fed to the masses without trouble) We have to get up off our asses, help the campaigns of candidates we support, and vote for them in the primaries of their parties -- many third parties allow voters affiliated with other parties or none at all to vote in their primaries. Finally, we need to get over the "vote for the lesser evil" bullshit and start voting for the candidate, third party or no, that best supports our issues. When a big enough chunk of the voting population does this, the mainstream parties begin to adopt those platforms because they want those votes back, and the range of acceptable political opinion shifts in our favor.

If this sounds like too much trouble to you, ask yourself, "Is this more trouble than enduring a government that doesn't represent me for the rest of my life?". If your answer is no [EDIT: I meant "yes"], you have nothing to complain about.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 06:30:18 pm by Ironchew »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4582 on: October 20, 2014, 08:52:44 pm »

If I started discussing realistic options you would move the goalposts on me.

So, you automatically know what I'm gonna do?  Well, fuck me, with your powers of foresight, you could just about be a god damned superhero.  I meant what I said, you braying jackass, I don't hide landmines in my words unlike some pretentious weenies out there.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #4583 on: October 20, 2014, 09:04:10 pm »
So, you automatically know what I'm gonna do?  Well, fuck me, with your powers of foresight, you could just about be a god damned superhero.  I meant what I said, you braying jackass, I don't hide landmines in my words unlike some pretentious weenies out there.
You seem upset.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4584 on: October 20, 2014, 09:08:09 pm »
You seem upset.

I don't like people putting words in my mouth.  Unless I'm joking, which usually isn't too difficult to tell, I say what I mean.  I don't do goalpost-shifting nonsense; it takes too much time, too much energy, and yields too little reward.

(Also, just because I'm caustic doesn't mean I'm upset.  I just felt like being caustic...like a good organic acid.)

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #4585 on: October 20, 2014, 09:13:45 pm »
You seem upset.

I don't like people putting words in my mouth.  Unless I'm joking, which usually isn't too difficult to tell, I say what I mean.  I don't do goalpost-shifting nonsense; it takes too much time, too much energy, and yields too little reward.

(Also, just because I'm caustic doesn't mean I'm upset.  I just felt like being caustic...like a good organic acid.)
Ah, that makes sense.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #4586 on: October 20, 2014, 10:18:57 pm »

That's the whole point. You sabotage the campaigns of one mainstream party so that they come crawling to your party's platform in the next election cycle. That's how to shift the range of acceptable political opinions towards your issues.

Except nothing like that happened in the examples I mentioned. Nader didn't force the Democrats to go more liberal in 2004 and Roosevelt didn't force the Republicans to be more progressive in 1916. If anything, the opposite happened.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #4587 on: October 20, 2014, 11:41:45 pm »
Say what you will about the Tea Party (and I have a lot to say about them, not much nice), but give them credit: they had an impact. They forced the Republican Party so far right that I can almost feel myself getting stupider every time my family discusses politics, which thankfully isn't often.

Any progressive counterpart to the Tea Party will not be as well funded as they are The Tea Party is a totally grassroots movement of regular, average, real Americans, and to beat that, any progressive counterpart will need to focus on lower level grassroots moves of their own. Don't expect to intimidate politicians with money. Instead, we would have to focus on education and public awareness. Which brings me to another weakness to be overcome.

It's often been pointed out that the Tea Party movement consists largely of older generations. That works well in their favor for the moment. Older people vote more, and they are more politically active. Other than voter apathy, the worst thing for democracy is the idea that the Wednesday after you vote, your civic responsibility is done. Not so. Hold leaders accountable. Change isn't easy. Voting isn't even the bare minimum that an individual can contribute.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #4588 on: October 21, 2014, 10:28:10 am »
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Tea_Party

While I don't doubt that the Tea Party is made up mainly of ordinary people, there are very good reasons to disbelieve its claims to being a "grassroots" movement. Grassroots movements, by and large, start from the bottom and work their way up, often with little or no funding other than what their participants can scrape together. There's strong evidence that the Koch brothers have been pulling the Tea Party's financial strings since the beginning, as shown in the article above, even though they've tried to keep their involvement at enough of a remove to be deniable.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #4589 on: October 21, 2014, 07:54:20 pm »
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.