Author Topic: Things just got real in Ukraine  (Read 37994 times)

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
Re: Things just got real in Ukraine
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2014, 10:23:11 am »
Putin is blaming the west, most notably the U.S., for the uprising in Ukraine.  He's claiming that somehow we are supporting the protesters and their overthrow of Yanukovych, while the "intervention" in Crimea is to protect the Russian citizens that live there and a response to the request for help by Yanukovych.

For Putin, he may have very well put himself in a lose-lose situation.  He isn't going to get Ukraine to warmly embrace with Russia because of the history of Russia-Ukraine interaction, and this latest show of aggression isn't going to help matters either.  Polls conducted in Russia show people don't favor what he's doing (although I'm aware of polls that state opposite).  The economy isn't fairing too well, and people may see this Crimea "intervention" as a distracting issue to domestic problems in Russia.  In spite of trying to show "goodwill" in the Winter Olympics in Sochi, this action has really wrecked whatever goodwill that was trying to be built.  Lastly, since Putin has now placed Russian military forces in and around Crimea, he has to stay committed to his decision to sending them there.  An abrupt withdraw of those troops will not give the image and message that Putin wants to send to Ukraine and the rest of the world.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2014, 10:36:15 am »
That message being: "I AM REAL MAN, I LIKE THE PUSSY, I SWEAR IT!"
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2014, 10:52:37 am »
That message being: "I AM REAL MAN, I LIKE THE PUSSY, I SWEAR IT!"

Well, with all those photos he constantly releases to the press, I would agree he's really overcompensating for something...

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2014, 11:02:00 am »
At this point, the best-case scenario would be for Crimea to secede, whether uniting with Russia or becoming an independent nation. Since the bulk of the Crimean population seems to be in favor of joining Russia, I'd be OK with this, and I imagine the EU might... if that is ALL Putin gets. At minimum, he would have to recognize the new government in Kiev, if not actually turn over Yanukovych.

I don't see the EU (or America) allowing Putin to overrun the Ukraine. We're already bringing out the big guns diplomatically - kicking Russia out of the G8 is pretty severe. I fear that if Putin goes any further, there will be bloodshed. At minimum, there will be fighting between Russian and Ukrainian troops. Frankly, if it does, I think we should abandon diplomacy and go straight for the military option.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2014, 11:24:12 am »
But that scenario would still mean that Russia gets to keep Sevastopol. Which is the presumably the main reason they got in this trainwreck.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2014, 11:49:54 am »
I wonder if the Crimea does join the Federation, would Russia's influence on the rest of Eastern Europe be weaken since they'd be seen as aggressors? Or would they be scared of what Russia did with Ukraine and become closer with the Kremlin.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2014, 12:24:07 pm »
I wonder if the Crimea does join the Federation, would Russia's influence on the rest of Eastern Europe be weaken since they'd be seen as aggressors? Or would they be scared of what Russia did with Ukraine and become closer with the Kremlin.

Russia has essentially bullied Ukraine into not joining the EU or NATO around 2004-2005 by threatening to cut off gas supplies to them, and Russia is doing it again now because of the uprising.  Russia does have some pull in the European and Asian economy.  The Orange Revolution in Ukraine back in 2004 should have been a signal to Putin that Ukraine is going by the beat of their own drum. 

Sadly, Putin wants to hold on to his sphere of influence with the post Soviet territories.  Most CIS nations work with and are neutral to Russia, Kazakhstan is still warm and friendly to Russia, and communist Belarus is still attached to Russia in practically everything, but gosh darn that Ukraine and them wanting to do their own thing. Putin probably thought he finally had Ukraine in his sphere when Yanukovych rejected entering the EU and made an agreement to have closer ties to Russia until, of course, the pro-EU Ukrainians raised a stink over it.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2014, 12:25:53 pm »
If I were Putin, I'd cut my losses and try to increase Russian power some other way.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2014, 12:30:39 pm »
I see no point in having that pull over its neighboring nations if Russia current tantrum is tanking it's economy (as well as everyone else). CCTV was reporting how this plunged stocks the world over.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2014, 12:40:43 pm »
But that scenario would still mean that Russia gets to keep Sevastopol. Which is the presumably the main reason they got in this trainwreck.

I'm OK with that. Provided that it is the will of the Crimean people. And that Putin recognized the new government in Kiev.

Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2014, 12:42:29 pm »

I'm OK with that. Provided that it is the will of the Crimean people. And that Putin recognized the new government in Kiev.
Well, at this point, I just want Putin to fail.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2014, 05:42:24 pm »
Frankly, I hope he does fail. In fact, I want him out of power.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2014, 05:44:22 pm »
Frankly, I hope he does fail. In fact, I want him out of power.

Yeah, Putin is well on his way to becoming Stalin 2.0.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2014, 06:04:55 pm »
Putin: Stalin without the epic mustache or actual manly looks.

What?  I think Stalin looks more like a man than Putin does...Putin looks like he could be in a late 90's boy band.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2014, 06:06:24 pm »
Putin: Stalin without the epic mustache or actual manly looks.

What?  I think Stalin looks more like a man than Putin does...Putin looks like he could be in a late 90's boy band.
Emphasis on "boy".  Putin's considerably shorter than most people assume.