Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1116316 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #4320 on: September 04, 2015, 03:10:35 pm »
Askold, it might mean what my dad was talking about once from back in the day. Bussing was when at some point in the early 60s they took a bunch of inner city ghetto kids and had them go to school out in the suburbs. They'd literally bus them in. I guess there was a huge culture clash. Living in a city (not just within city limits but really in the city) is a completely different way of life than it in the burbs. I'm not sure if that's what they mean, but that's the only time I've heard the term and it kind of relates to the picture.

More importantly, busing was done at all because, due to white flight, the suburbs were mainly white, whereas urban areas were mainly black.  That in and of itself caused a LOT of backlash, because America is terrible.

To be fair, both whites and blacks were mostly against desegregation busing.  And evidence suggests that, for the most part, this wasn't because of racism, but because of beliefs that it hurt neighborhood schools and caused more discipline problems.

On the other hand, there definitely were those motivated by racism, as demonstrated by that flyer.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4321 on: September 04, 2015, 07:54:02 pm »
I'm so ancient, that I was amongst the first generation of kids to be bused for school desegregation. It was a two way street. Black kids got bused to white schools, white kids got bused to black schools. At least, that's how they did it in Miami, and the idea was to not only get black and white kids together to learn and grow up with each other, but to improve the quality of the black schools. It worked, but there was a huge upswing in white private school enrollment the first few years. Then things settled down a lot.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4322 on: September 06, 2015, 11:42:40 am »

Ryan White?  Who's that?

Even Then

« Reply #4323 on: September 06, 2015, 11:51:56 am »
Tangent:

- In Finland, men who have sex with men can't donate blood, probably because of ZOMG HIV.
- In Europe, there's only a 2.2% difference between straight HIV-positives and gay HIV-positives.
- Considering how the blood's screened anyway, this is some dank bullshit.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4324 on: September 06, 2015, 01:16:28 pm »
Another tangent: Specifically their rules state Finnish men can only donate blood to Red cross if they have not had sex with another man in the last 12 months.

So gay men with a serious case of blue balls can donate blood.

...Yeah, it is still an overreaction considering that the blood gets tested and there should not be a risk of HIV spreading to other people in the clinic.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Even Then

« Reply #4325 on: September 06, 2015, 01:25:03 pm »
Yeah, thanks for the clarification, comrade of the northern wastes  :)

Also, there's like 2900 HIV-positives in Finland, which is less than a promille anyway, and one of the other questions is "have you or a sex partner or someone living with you ever had hepatitis or HIV" which kinda makes the "gay question" obsolete, and the "gay question" is worded "have you ever had sex with a man" instead of "have you had sex with a man in the last year", so yeah, it strikes me as pretty sus.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4326 on: September 06, 2015, 02:55:45 pm »
That's fairly universal, actually. Last time I donated blood I had to check that I had not had sex with a man.

(this was about a month before the first time I had sex with a guy, curiously enough.)
Σא

Even Then

« Reply #4327 on: September 06, 2015, 02:57:22 pm »
And here I was, hoping that this particular brand of asinine would be restricted to Finland...

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4328 on: September 06, 2015, 05:34:23 pm »
You can thank the good ol' USA for that particular rule btw.

Even Then

« Reply #4329 on: September 06, 2015, 05:52:05 pm »
Of all the things to ape from the USA, we ape that... fucking A.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4330 on: September 06, 2015, 09:44:01 pm »

While the "Crucified Canadian" was a myth, that doesn't mean the Germans didn't commit real atrocities.  And calling it "Jewish propaganda" is ridiculous.

Let's not forget that the German Army shot soldiers as punishment too.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #4331 on: September 06, 2015, 10:11:06 pm »
Another tangent: Specifically their rules state Finnish men can only donate blood to Red cross if they have not had sex with another man in the last 12 months.

So gay men with a serious case of blue balls can donate blood.

...Yeah, it is still an overreaction considering that the blood gets tested and there should not be a risk of HIV spreading to other people in the clinic.

Same rule here in the US, actually.

Hey, since the risk of HIV infection is higher if you sleep with men, regardless of sex, does that mean that I should just divorce my husband and join a lesbian commune?
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4332 on: September 06, 2015, 10:24:10 pm »
........yes.

Ironbite-wait.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #4333 on: September 07, 2015, 09:51:53 am »
Good news, everyone! It wasn't my relatives this time!

1. Humans are not at risk of going extinct at any point in the foreseeable future, especially not due to abortion or homosexuality.
2. Homosexuals are a small fraction of the population. Their effect on the breeding pool would be minimal at best. And nobody is suggesting that the 95% of straight people who have attractions to the opposite gender suddenly be made to turn gay.
3. I don't think anybody is suggesting that anybody should be made to abort every child they ever have.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #4334 on: September 07, 2015, 10:05:17 am »
Good news, everyone! It wasn't my relatives this time!

1. Humans are not at risk of going extinct at any point in the foreseeable future, especially not due to abortion or homosexuality.
2. Homosexuals are a small fraction of the population. Their effect on the breeding pool would be minimal at best. And nobody is suggesting that the 95% of straight people who have attractions to the opposite gender suddenly be made to turn gay.
3. I don't think anybody is suggesting that anybody should be made to abort every child they ever have.

Gorblat & Pinfob of Planet Kazork would be far too intelligent for that nonsense!

Is Gorblat smoking a pipe?