Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1643777 times)

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #4995 on: June 18, 2015, 03:36:16 pm »

Does his anti-abortion screed count as science or compassion?

You guys aren't really so stupid as to cherry-pick the happy noises coming out of the mouth of a militant creationist. Stop pretending you are.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #4996 on: June 18, 2015, 03:51:04 pm »

You guys aren't really so stupid as to cherry-pick the happy noises coming out of the mouth of a militant creationist. Stop pretending you are.

Creationist? Catholic church teaches God-guided evolution. You've got a point about anti-abortion attitudes and it's just one of many harmful doctrines. Nothing prevents anyone from taking a nuanced position, though: admonish the church for its many flaws but also give it credit when they take steps to the right direction. Whether we like it or not the pope has huge influence on what a big portion of people on Earth pay attention to and I'll gladly take his support for any righteous cause.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4997 on: June 18, 2015, 03:58:34 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIIvpPGYjLs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIIvpPGYjLs</a>

http://www.newsweek.com/pope-franciss-remarks-evolution-are-not-controversial-among-roman-catholics-281115

You could make the claim that he believes in intelligent design, but he certainly accepts evolution and does not believe that the Earth is just a few thousand years old like the young Earth creationists do (and lets face it, whenever creationism is mentioned usually they are the ones people are talking about.)

Then again, I am kinda on the same line as the pope on this. Just because I am a christian and believe that God created the universe it does not mean that I have to disregard science. I believe that God set things in motion and had no need to fine tune things by making animals and people appear from thin air.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #4998 on: June 18, 2015, 08:05:03 pm »
What did you expect? It's Ironchew.  :P

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4999 on: June 18, 2015, 11:25:03 pm »

Creationist? Catholic church teaches God-guided evolution. You've got a point about anti-abortion attitudes and it's just one of many harmful doctrines. Nothing prevents anyone from taking a nuanced position, though: admonish the church for its many flaws but also give it credit when they take steps to the right direction. Whether we like it or not the pope has huge influence on what a big portion of people on Earth pay attention to and I'll gladly take his support for any righteous cause.

Old Earth creationist.

Anyway, you can disagree with the Pope on some things while agreeing on others! I haven't read the climate change encyclical so I don't know if the comic is accurate, but that question is entirely independent on his stance on abortion or evolution or same-sex marriage or condoms or any of the other things where I think he is wrong.
Σא

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #5000 on: June 19, 2015, 02:10:53 am »
Sigma for the win here. I don't expect a friggen POPE to be as progressive as I am on social issues like gay rights and family planning. One step at a time.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5001 on: June 22, 2015, 09:38:31 am »

What makes this even better is the jab at Neo-Confederates.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #5002 on: June 22, 2015, 11:53:34 am »

What makes this even better is the jab at Neo-Confederates.

Eeyup! Love it!

The Future Home of THIS LITTLE SCRAWNY PUNK.....

.....But it's temporary & purgatorial. "Eternal Damnation" is such an evil concept.

The Present Day Home of The Nine.....

I may be a NeoPagan but I do have Paradise & Inferno in my worldview. A number of faith traditions do and even the various reports of NDEs confirm it. I know most here don't believe any of this but that's okay by me.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 11:57:55 am by Barbarella »

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #5003 on: June 22, 2015, 02:00:01 pm »
I may be a NeoPagan but I do have Paradise & Inferno in my worldview. A number of faith traditions do and even the various reports of NDEs confirm it.

You have depressingly low standards of evidence if you think NDEs confirm anything besides the human brain's capacity to hallucinate wildly before death.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #5004 on: June 22, 2015, 04:54:55 pm »
I may be a NeoPagan but I do have Paradise & Inferno in my worldview. A number of faith traditions do and even the various reports of NDEs confirm it.

You have depressingly low standards of evidence if you think NDEs confirm anything besides the human brain's capacity to hallucinate wildly before death.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5005 on: June 24, 2015, 12:10:42 pm »

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #5006 on: June 25, 2015, 10:27:53 am »

Save the Europe

Drown a Greek

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #5007 on: June 25, 2015, 11:05:55 am »

Save the Europe

Drown a Greek

a little explanation: the drowner is christine lagarde, president of the fmi, and ex-director of the medef, basically the french ceo union. not exactly well-liked, since she's cutthroat, and hates the poor so much she could be in a mel brooks movie it's taken to such extremes.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #5008 on: June 25, 2015, 11:22:53 am »
a little explanation: the drowner is christine lagarde, president of the fmi, and ex-director of the medef, basically the french ceo union. not exactly well-liked, since she's cutthroat, and hates the poor so much she could be in a mel brooks movie it's taken to such extremes.
Oh, and FMI = IMF. I didn't know that about Lagarde's background, thanks.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #5009 on: June 25, 2015, 04:01:07 pm »
Same here. Without the explanation, I would've taken it at face value & considered it a "Worst" cartoon.