Author Topic: Catch-All 3D printing thread  (Read 3239 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Catch-All 3D printing thread
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 03:15:38 pm »
@John: Wait...your dad's 3D printer has a die that has 6 sides, or your dad made a d6 with his new 3D printer?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 03:36:40 pm »
He made a d6.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 04:32:26 pm »
I can't imagine that rolls terribly well... it'd be mighty light.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 11:20:53 pm »
So it seems that now that the patents for metal 3D printers is about to expire, someone has built a 3D printer that prints with carbon fiber.

For a long time it was metal that eluded the 3D printing industry, then high quality metal, then high quality metal from an affordable machine. We are just approaching the last of these goals when a new challenger has appeared to one-up the achievement.

MarkForged, founded by Gregory Mark, showed off a new 3D printer called the Mark One at this week’s Solidworks World conference. Its main feature is the ability to print parts in carbon fiber, a relatively expensive but extremely durable material that could enable all sorts of new printed objects.

Carbon fiber can be many times stronger than steel, per unit of weight, and it has directional strength as well — meaning that it stands strongest against force applied along one particular axis. The substance is so strong and lightweight that racing cars incorporate carbon fiber parts to reduce weight — a high-performance vehicle using carbon fiber wherever possible can reduce weight by up to 60%. Its chemical properties also make it an ideal material for printing medical implants and other bio-compatible technology.

There are two major reasons carbon fiber isn’t used more than it is: it’s expensive, and it’s difficult to work with. The properties of the material are such that mass production is difficult, and parts often need to be made by hand. With a 3D printer, at least the latter of these options could be eliminated.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen