Author Topic: ICE mistakenly deports teenage girl missing since 2010  (Read 13438 times)

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
ICE mistakenly deports teenage girl missing since 2010
« on: January 05, 2012, 02:21:41 am »
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Dallas-Teen-Is--Mistakenly-Deported--136626533.html

A teenage girl went missing in 2010, has been found in Colombia. Now, by the title of the thread, you know why she was there. She not only got deported by ICE, but she's a US citizen, black, and oh yeah, doesn't speak a lick of Spanish.

In all fairness, the fake name the girl gave DID match that of an illegal immigrant who was wanted on a number of warrants. She's not completely innocent in it, but her inability to speak Spanish should have set off warning bells all over the place. ICE failed to confirm her identity via fingerprints, and didn't take a closer look at the evidence.

Someone's going to lose their job over this SNAFU...

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: ICE mistakenly deports teenage girl missing since 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 02:23:41 am »
.....so for 2 years this chick's been in Colombia doing...what exactly?

Ironbite-trying to prove who she was when it should've been FUCKING OBVIOUS WHEN SHE GOT THERE!?

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 02:32:31 am »
Wow. That is just... I'm not sure whether to laugh hysterically at their incompetence or to rage at the fact that they deported a fourteen-year-old who is now in a Colombian jail.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 02:42:37 am »
Actually, she was household help, having to do a huge amount of cleaning, according to the article.

Mea culpa (sp on both?) on this one, but I should have added the Colombian government to this clusterfuck. They've refused to release her back to US custody. Makes me wonder what on earth is going on over there. Times like this are why I have an angry demiplane.

EDIT: Thanks for the clarification, Nap
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:49:54 pm by Stormwarden »

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Napoleon the Clown

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 04:00:47 am »
*Mea culpa

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 04:21:46 am »
Dallas Morning News has reported she's also pregnant, which makes me wonder if that's part of the reason the Colombian government is so reluctant to let her leave.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 10:47:53 am »
She's not completely innocent in it, but her inability to speak Spanish should have set off warning bells all over the place. ICE failed to confirm her identity via fingerprints, and didn't take a closer look at the evidence.

She could easily fake not speaking Spanish. As for fingerprints, the person she was mistaken for was wanted on a warrant. Since the article does not say what the warrant is for, it's possible the person in question does not have their fingerprints on file. As a 14-year old, it's also very likely the girl did not have fingerprints on record. End result - running her prints likely would have told them nothing.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 11:06:09 am »
One more thing to say about fingerprinting, it's not very reliable.
A 2006 study by the University of Southampton in England asked six veteran fingerprint examiners to study prints taken from actual criminal cases. The experts were not told that they had previously examined the same prints. The researchers' goal was to determine if contextual information—for example, some prints included a notation that the suspect had already confessed—would affect the results. But the experiment revealed a far more serious problem: The analyses of fingerprint examiners were often inconsistent regardless of context. Only two of the six experts reached the same conclusions on second examination as they had on the first.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/forensics/4325774

As such, using them for identification purposes doesn't really mean anything.

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 11:31:41 am »
Wow.
I can believe it. I'm sure after deporting the numbers of people they do, she hardly registered on the "something fishy" list. Why in the hell would she give them a fake name anyways?
Bet she'll think twice before stealing again though.
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 11:32:57 am »
I don't get why the Colombian government gave her a work permit. Did they realize she wasn't Colombian, or do they do that for all citizens?

Offline D Laurier

• Bishop
  • Never trust a white man with power.
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 12:10:29 pm »
I don't get why the Colombian government gave her a work permit. Did they realize she wasn't Colombian, or do they do that for all citizens?

I think that whole "work permit" thing is uniquly American.  They dont have it in most countrys.
Cable (or satelite) TV is like paying someone to projectile poop all over your brain.

Distind

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 02:54:15 pm »
Why in the hell would she give them a fake name anyways?

This, so fucking much this.

That said I'm keeping this for future reference, should I have kids, I'll be sure to tell them that lying to the officials can get your dumb ass deported. And now I'll have evidence.

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 03:39:10 pm »
Why in the hell would she give them a fake name anyways?

Presumably to keep her identity a secret. /captain obvious

In all seriousness, she was a runaway. She probably didn't want to go home then, and was afraid she'd get sent back to her divorced parents if she gave her real name.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 04:19:50 pm »
Whoever did this ought to have "INCOMPETENT" branded on their forehead, before having their asses fired.

Come to think of it, we might want to brand their asses as well.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 07:35:29 pm »
At first blush (and I feel furious with myself over it) I blamed the victim in giving the fake name in the first place. Seriously, I felt rotten over it and like the worst person in the world.

After a bit more thinking I had to wonder how you can confuse a 14 year old for a 22 year old. Did we also not try to do face matching? Then there was the incompetence of the fingerprinting and everything else.

All in all a rotten thing. But... I read something about her getting on to Facebook and talking about her job. That should have set off warning bells too.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!