Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic  (Read 642790 times)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
« Reply #1725 on: February 16, 2013, 01:25:16 am »
So I'm sure you've heard too, but it's possible that our upcoming episode won't be stand alone.

I really hope it is, just so I can say "Ha!  And you never said they'd do something like that in MLP, Priestling." :P
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #1726 on: February 16, 2013, 02:50:18 am »
I've heard that from several sources... including Megan McCarthy herself via Twitter.  I'm willing to admit that I'm wrong... and very impressed that they ARE doing such a thing.  That's AWESOME!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #1727 on: February 16, 2013, 11:03:23 am »
Okay new ep was awesome but
(click to show/hide)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1728 on: February 16, 2013, 11:06:44 am »
HO
LY
SHIT

That episode blew me away.  That episode alone is probably why Season 3 only had 13 episodes.  It almost seems like half their budget had to go into it.

(click to show/hide)

Also, to all the bronies who whinged and whined about Twilight Sparkle becoming an alicorn, all I have to say is...

SUCK IT.

:3
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #1729 on: February 16, 2013, 11:13:40 am »
What I mean by forced evolution is now we can make more alicorns

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #1730 on: February 16, 2013, 11:36:37 am »
Ehhhhh...

Stuff I liked:
(click to show/hide)

Stuff I didn't like:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #1731 on: February 16, 2013, 12:31:29 pm »
Considering the show has aired, fucked spoilers. I'm not gonna bother with the tag for this.

Patches, you can't always expect to be able to relate perfectly to magical friggin' ponies. I don't think most people have to worry about their brother marrying an evil doppelganger. Or chaos incarnate ruining the world. Or their ruler's sister, who has been possessed by some unknown evil force coming to make the world night forever.

The episode did have aspects people can relate to. Twilight accidentally ruined her friends' lives, and had to work to put things right. It's admittedly not a problem most people will have to deal with, but the lesson is there that you must face and fix your mistakes. That kind of applies to almost every lesson in the show--fantastical ways to frame common problems.

The episode being fast paced is a legitimate problem. It did feel too fast. But it's hard to complain about the songs, since they were all high quality. Hell, we even got to hear Celestia sing, and finally got some new Twilight singing after way too little recently.

Is Twilight optimistic? Of course. She hasn't actually had to start working yet. I imagine season 4 will deal a lot with Twilight learning to manage her new responsibilities, and seeing that being a princess isn't all gumdrops and rainbows. You're basically complaining because she's excited about her new position instead of being immediately crushed to death by the burden of power.

Offline cheese007

• Bishop
« Reply #1732 on: February 16, 2013, 01:29:23 pm »
Few items of interest:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #1733 on: February 16, 2013, 01:30:04 pm »
Patches, you can't always expect to be able to relate perfectly to magical friggin' ponies. I don't think most people have to worry about their brother marrying an evil doppelganger. Or chaos incarnate ruining the world. Or their ruler's sister, who has been possessed by some unknown evil force coming to make the world night forever.

But that wasn't the point of those episodes.  The actual situations don't matter, but the emotions related to them should be.  It didn't matter that the episode was about marrying a doppleganger, the crux of the episode was dealing with someone you care about apparently shunning your feelings, and choosing between overlooking something bad to make someone feel better and calling them out on a problem while risking being shunned.  It didn't matter that the episode was about chaos incarnate ruling the world, the point of the episode was to not get too caught up in negativity and let it rule your life.  And it didn't matter that the episode was about an evil force making the world night forever, the point of the episode was learning to rely on other people's help.

What, exactly, was the lesson we were supposed to take away from this episode?  Don't let the charge of "destiny" dictate your life; do what you know you're naturally good at, unless destiny tells you to be a princess, then fuck your natural talents, be a princess?

Twilight has been working very hard the entire series, but not towards the goal of being a princess.  It's like if you worked all your life to become an astronaut, and you were then approached by the President and told, "Wow, you've worked really hard at all this science stuff, I'm going to appoint you as head of the Department of Science."  While it's an honor and all, it's hard to be totally happy about it when it means you have to give up what you originally got into the field to do.  And I do hope that S4 goes into that.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #1734 on: February 16, 2013, 01:46:50 pm »
Applejack so jelly of Twilight, you can tell. Seriously, more musical episodes for Season 4 plz.

Edit: SHE LIVES
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 01:53:59 pm by Dakota Bob »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1735 on: February 16, 2013, 02:52:25 pm »
Heaven forbid an otherwise aesop heavy series go a single episode without an aesop for the sake of making an episode that's just about the plot.

I don't think there was meant to be a lesson to learn.  And that's why the episode was good.

@Dakota Who?  If you mean Derpy, I don't really see her anywhere in the picture.  I see a mare with a dress and a lavish haircut that shares her colors but that's about it.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #1736 on: February 16, 2013, 03:14:16 pm »
It's Derpy. on the first picture look to the right of Fluttershy. second picture, look between the legs of the two crystal ponies, at the bottom left of the picture.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1737 on: February 16, 2013, 03:18:20 pm »
I found another version that outlined it.  Wow.  That is HARD to see.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #1738 on: February 16, 2013, 03:27:13 pm »
Wow!! What a great episode. I loved all the songs, and I have to say I think Twilight becoming an Ailcorn is a good thing. Also it's nice to see my Derpy again.  :D

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #1739 on: February 16, 2013, 03:55:35 pm »
/mlp/ found 5 instances of Derpy in this episode.
http://imgur.com/a/N0ODY