Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1463025 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #990 on: September 06, 2012, 08:18:36 pm »
Actually, Zacky, my laptop can run it better than it does DDO.  Granted, it pretty much runs at bare bones graphics settings, which it automatically detects and sets for you (that's how you do convenience RIGHT), but it works right out of the box, as promised, and it works well.

For the record, here's the basic get-up I'm workin with:

* AMD E-350 Processor (2x core) 1.6 GHz
* 4 GB of RAM
* Windows 7 (64-bit OEM)
* AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics

I got it for...around 400 bones.  I've had Minecraft maps that run slower than Guild Wars 2.

Holy fuck, seriously? I thought there was no way my laptop could handle it, as jumpy as it can be with rendering distances in Minecraft above Normal. I've got less RAM but 2.3 GHz, so maybe there's hope.

Running a 64bit operating system, less than 4GB of RAM, your are litterly missing half of the advantages of 64bit.

Optifine is your friend, your sanity will depend upon it. Good luck using a texture pack grater than 16x16.

Laptop, brother, can't easily extend your RAM capacity.  Hell, I've seen cases where you outright can't.

As for the texture packs...the LB Photorealism pack looks good and all, but I rarely play outside of the default pack.  It does its job, and it still manages to look good, even with its relatively tiny pixel count.

Remember, some people put graphics at a far lower priority than most...I'm one of em.  Gameplay and story first, then graphics.  Maybe.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #991 on: September 07, 2012, 01:08:07 am »
Actually, Zacky, my laptop can run it better than it does DDO.  Granted, it pretty much runs at bare bones graphics settings, which it automatically detects and sets for you (that's how you do convenience RIGHT), but it works right out of the box, as promised, and it works well.

* 4 GB of RAM
* Windows 7 (64-bit OEM)

I got it for...around 400 bones.  I've had Minecraft maps that run slower than Guild Wars 2.

Holy fuck, seriously? I thought there was no way my laptop could handle it, as jumpy as it can be with rendering distances in Minecraft above Normal. I've got less RAM but 2.3 GHz, so maybe there's hope.

Running a 64bit operating system, less than 4GB of RAM, your are litterly missing half of the advantages of 64bit.

Optifine is your friend, your sanity will depend upon it. Good luck using a texture pack grater than 16x16.

My, someone shoved a large stick up your ass.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Art Vandelay

« Reply #992 on: September 07, 2012, 01:47:46 am »

* 4 GB of RAM
* Windows 7 (64-bit OEM)

My, someone shoved a large stick up your ass.

But seriously, your are litterly missing half of the advantages of 64bit. Like, litterly.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #993 on: September 07, 2012, 02:19:00 am »

Did everyone just skip my post?  One word: LAPTOP.

("Do I just have a face that no one listens to?")

Saturn500

« Reply #994 on: September 07, 2012, 08:20:15 am »

Did everyone just skip my post?  One word: LAPTOP.

("Do I just have a face that no one listens to?")

I've been there several times in this very thread.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #995 on: September 07, 2012, 09:22:03 am »
Art...LAPTOP!  They're not easily upgraded like a PC.

Ironbite-or are you just going to ignore these posts too?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #996 on: September 07, 2012, 09:52:48 am »

But Ibs, your are litterly missing half of the advantages of 64bit!1!!!1!!ONE! I'm not fucking around here. Half of the advantages of 64bit: Your are litterly missing them. Like, litterly. How are you not seeing this?!?!?!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #997 on: September 07, 2012, 09:56:55 am »
We got anybody here on the DUST 514 closed beta? if so, my character name is Meynard Mayhem, PSN: PineBluffVariant, hit me up sometime.

Distind

« Reply #998 on: September 07, 2012, 10:50:01 am »

But Ibs, your are litterly missing half of the advantages of 64bit!1!!!1!!ONE! I'm not fucking around here. Half of the advantages of 64bit: Your are litterly missing them. Like, litterly. How are you not seeing this?!?!?!
Because laptop ram is fucking expensive?

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #999 on: September 07, 2012, 11:03:01 am »

+1, good sir.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1000 on: September 07, 2012, 11:05:27 am »

Because laptop ram is fucking expensive?
Distind, I am litterly disappoint.

Pah, at least Sleepy gets it.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #1001 on: September 07, 2012, 12:32:15 pm »
I'm are litterly in awe that people are missing the sarcasm in Art's posts.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #1002 on: September 07, 2012, 01:26:45 pm »
I am in literal shock and disbelief at just how poorly designed that laptop is. I mean it is at Alienware level bad. It’s not like they can claim ignorance, they specifically had an OEM license with Microsoft. Microsoft had to give them the specifications for running and bust practice guidelines for compatibility.

This is not Sleepy’s fault either, as it is my opinion that Sleepy was burned by whoever made and sold that laptop.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1003 on: September 07, 2012, 01:51:04 pm »
Apparently Old Rebuplic is going to become free to play! I am downloading the trial version to get an early look at the game.

Seriously though, I expect to see the same problems that all MMORPG's have. Namely, you have to play with other people. People who behave like the average online player...

Still, I am going to try it.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1004 on: September 07, 2012, 02:56:08 pm »
I am in literal shock and disbelief at just how poorly designed that laptop is. I mean it is at Alienware level bad. It’s not like they can claim ignorance, they specifically had an OEM license with Microsoft. Microsoft had to give them the specifications for running and bust practice guidelines for compatibility.

This is not Sleepy’s fault either, as it is my opinion that Sleepy was burned by whoever made and sold that laptop.

I am baffled.  Not every laptop is made to exploit the power of a given operating system and/or hardware configuration.  Many, if not most of them, are made for your everyday consumer, and your everyday consumer isn't going to need too much in the way of hardware horsepower, including RAM.

Unless you get an expensive fucking laptop, chances are, you're not getting a whole hell of a lot of horsepower.  Case in point, I spent ~$400 on mine.  Yeah, it was cheap, but it works, plays games relatively well, and does what I need it to do.  I don't need Alienware-level horsepower, I'm not going to be playing Skyrim or Crysis on my laptop, and I never expected as much when I got it.

So, don't even blame the manufacturer, they make the cheaper laptops for the people who generally buy them, people who don't need much horsepower.  If you want that, you get a desktop.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 03:09:41 pm by RavynousHunter »