Author Topic: Ubisoft to ditch DRM  (Read 2986 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Ubisoft to ditch DRM
« on: March 26, 2012, 04:50:06 pm »
Ubisoft’s DRM measures on the PC are something that plenty of PC gamers know about and dislike. It also greatly inconveniences legitimate customers, but Ubisoft’s digital head Chris Early outlined a lot of strategies to discourage piracy and eventually ditch all these DRM policies.

He also tried to justify the current DRM practices by saying that people shouldn’t enjoy their content without them receiving anything in return, but they also do not want to create inconveniences for people who pay for their products. It’s obviously a very delicate matter, and finding a correct balance is very difficult.

Ubisoft wants DRM to go away, but for that to happen, they need to figure out a way to provide a lot of value to PC gamers so that no one would want to pirate their games.

“Some are doing a very strict DRM. Some doing an on-going content revision. I don’t think we have a single, good answer yet. The interesting thing will be, how do we create enough value that that need for DRM goes away?”

source - http://gamingbolt.com/ubisoft-wants-to-provide-a-lot-of-value-to-pc-gamers-and-ditch-drm

I think the world is going to end.....either that or ubisoft is finally getting it through their thick heads that DRM is bad...but I'm actually going to side with the former on this one rather than the latter  just cause its Ubisoft :-X
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Ubisoft to ditch DRM
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:55:04 pm »
So, one of the horses is coming close to the finish line, at long last?  Bout damn time.  Treating your customers like they're all potential criminals is just bad for business...and is likely the reason piracy is so rampant.

Or, as Armake put it: "WE BUY THE THING, IT SHOULD WORK OUT OF THE MOTHERFUCKING BOX!"
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 06:38:49 pm »
I wonder if they'll retroactively implement this.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 05:43:34 pm »
Butbutbutbutbutbutbut Blizzard's going to use this same DRM for their most awesomeist game DIABLO 3!  It can't be a bad thing!
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline agentCDE

• Bishop
  • Slacker Heathen Extraordinaire!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 07:45:33 pm »
On the one hand, I want to scream "I'll believe it when I see it!"

On the other, if this DOES happen... well, the DRM is the reason why I never bought the Assassin's Creed games. I might actually buy their products again if they can promise I'll actually be able to play them.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 11:36:12 pm »
Butbutbutbutbutbutbut Blizzard's going to use this same DRM for their most awesomeist game DIABLO 3!  It can't be a bad thing!

Technically, isn't it a side effect of their real money trade-- I mean, auction system?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 02:16:15 am »
I just chock it up to Blizzard being shit.

I'm too tired to be coy or sarcastic.

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 09:24:24 am »

Technically, isn't it a side effect of their real money trade-- I mean, auction system?

They're claiming that, but how difficult would it be to use a different set of data for single player use?  Jay Wilson is still trying to claim that it's "selling a different experience," but I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't care about the online aspect, and will be playing Single Player on Battle.net's servers.
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 12:23:32 pm »

They're claiming that, but how difficult would it be to use a different set of data for single player use?  Jay Wilson is still trying to claim that it's "selling a different experience," but I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't care about the online aspect, and will be playing Single Player on Battle.net's servers.

Not very difficult, since that's exactly how Diablo II works.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 06:24:39 pm »
Zackski, you ignorant slut.  Don't you know that if a system is proven to work, you're supposed to ditch it with the next iteration of the game that said system appears in?  Reinventing the wheel is good for business!  Fuck the baby, we want that bathwater fucking GONE!

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 03:00:08 pm »
This just means they're rolling out the new SuperUbi DRMTM.  After you buy the game, you can only play it on the computers they have physically located at their HQ.  People should love it, because it eliminates the annoying process of installing the game and making sure their computer meets system requirements!  A plane ticket and cab to Ubisoft is a small price to pay for such a convenience.