Author Topic: Stephen King has a few choice words about taxes  (Read 3009 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Stephen King has a few choice words about taxes
« on: April 30, 2012, 04:28:27 pm »
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/04/30/stephen-king-tax-me-for-f-s-sake.html

I guess some of this mad right-wing love comes from the idea that in America, anyone can become a Rich Guy if he just works hard and saves his pennies. Mitt Romney has said, in effect, “I’m rich and I don’t apologize for it.” Nobody wants you to, Mitt. What some of us want—those who aren’t blinded by a lot of bullshit persiflage thrown up to mask the idea that rich folks want to keep their damn money—is for you to acknowledge that you couldn’t have made it in America without America. That you were fortunate enough to be born in a country where upward mobility is possible (a subject upon which Barack Obama can speak with the authority of experience), but where the channels making such upward mobility possible are being increasingly clogged. That it’s not fair to ask the middle class to assume a disproportionate amount of the tax burden. Not fair? It’s un-fucking-American is what it is. I don’t want you to apologize for being rich; I want you to acknowledge that in America, we all should have to pay our fair share. That our civics classes never taught us that being American means that—sorry, kiddies—you’re on your own. That those who have received much must be obligated to pay—not to give, not to “cut a check and shut up,” in Governor Christie’s words, but to pay—in the same proportion. That’s called stepping up and not whining about it. That’s called patriotism, a word the Tea Partiers love to throw around as long as it doesn’t cost their beloved rich folks any money.

Lots of profanity involved. And a very irate Stephen King. Yes, that Stephen King.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

shykid

Re: Stephen King has a few choice words about taxes
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 05:08:53 pm »
“I’m rich and I don’t apologize for it.”

Only in America would such words be applauded rather than political suicide in the middle of a recession and in the face of being the country with the largest wealth equality gap and relative poverty rate in the developed world.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:52:36 pm »
Wow, I just got a LOT more respect for Stephen King.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 01:41:11 am »
When Stephen King doesn't like someone, you know it pretty fast. Think back about what he said to the author of the Twilight Saga. He was no more gentle with Mitt Romney and I salute him for it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 02:09:28 am »
No doubt about it, the man's got a pair of brass ones.  Kudos to him for refuting the "just shut up and write a check" argument of Chris Christie, who I'm sorry to say is the governor of my home state.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
  • On Craggy Island, under deep cover.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 03:51:37 am »
I don't always agree with Stephen King's opinions (he liked Hunger Games, I thought it was almost as bad as Twilight) but on social issues, I seem to be 100% in agreement with him.

Respect due.

He and Tabby divert a lot of their money into worthwhile causes, a fact not paraded around in public - as might be the case for right wingers seeking some tax relief...
Part wolf, part pirate.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”   -  Albert Einstein.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 05:29:08 am »
I love Stephen King's writing style, even when he's ranting.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

shykid

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 07:12:11 am »
What Antichrist said x 1000.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 09:42:17 am »
What Shy said, divided by 1000.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 04:39:25 pm »
Stephen King, I love you.  Never change.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 03:01:08 am »
That those who have received much must be obligated to pay—not to give, not to “cut a check and shut up,” in Governor Christie’s words, but to pay—in the same proportion.

Could someone clarify this for me. I understand What Stephen King is saying but I don't understand the counter argument of "give" and "cut a check and shut up". I agree that all must pay their fair share in proportion to the well-being of the whole.

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 03:03:37 am »
That those who have received much must be obligated to pay—not to give, not to “cut a check and shut up,” in Governor Christie’s words, but to pay—in the same proportion.

Could someone clarify this for me. I understand What Stephen King is saying but I don't understand the counter argument of "give" and "cut a check and shut up". I agree that all must pay their fair share in proportion to the well-being of the whole.
The governor was directing that to rich people that were complaining they should pay more. Cut a check and send it to the IRS as a bonus to them. So basically what's said is people like King should write a check, mail it in, then STFU and STFD.
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline tempus

• Bishop
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 04:50:16 am »

The man is awesome.
Congratulations.  You found Ronald Reagan. He’s living in each and every one of you.  Just waiting to gnaw his way out of your chest and skitter off into the ventilation ducts.

--Neckfucker

That shape...that figure...those curves...god damn the weighted companion cube has never looked so good!

--Anonymous

Los Angeles is a city of brick, steel, concrete, and asphalt. There's no room for cows.

--CommanderCoffee

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 08:00:35 am »
I'll never be a fan of King's writing, but I respect him as a person now.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"