Author Topic: Georgia Governor Approves Abortion Ban Past 20 Weeks  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Georgia Governor Approves Abortion Ban Past 20 Weeks
« on: May 02, 2012, 03:14:31 pm »
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/05/02/475121/georgia-governor-signs-abortion-ban/

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal (R) signed a controversial “fetal pain” bill into law yesterday, which bans most abortions after 20 weeks with exceptions to save the life of the mother and if the fetus has extreme defects that make survival unlikely. The bill has no exception for rape or incest. Lawmakers based the legislation on the widely disputed claim that a fetus can feel pain after 20 weeks gestation, and Georgia is the seventh state to approve such a law. State laws already prevented most abortions in the third trimester.

Fascinating.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:48:12 pm by Commander Shepard »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Re: Georgia Governor Approves Abortion Ban
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 03:18:23 pm »
Eh, >90% of abortions happen within the 1st 20 weeks anyways, and the ones that don't are often due to health problems.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 05:07:22 pm »
When I read this I thought he banned abortions completely. Good to see that it has a somewhat reasonable comprimise. Although incest and rape should be an exception.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Normandy

• Pope
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 08:32:17 pm »
Yeah this isn't as bad as I thought from the title.  The lack of an exception for rape is a glaring omission, though.

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 09:01:48 pm »
When I read this I thought he banned abortions completely.

The Supreme Court would bitchslap them so fast that their arm would break the sound barrier.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 09:43:28 pm »
Yeah my fault on the title. Apologies.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
Re: Georgia Governor Approves Abortion Ban Past 20 Weeks
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 12:13:14 am »
I don't think banning abortions after 20 weeks is so bad, as long as they still allow it in cases of medical emergency. 20 weeks and the line between fetus and baby is really starting to blur.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 01:54:17 am »
Honestly this does not seem all that bad. It actually looks pretty reasonable. I must admit that I would have wanted exceptions for rape, incest and minors though. My reasoning behind that is that in cases of rape and incest the rapist or family can effectively shut a person in and prevent them form getting the medical care they deserve. It is rare, but it does happen especially if the victims are minors. Sometimes the only opportunity for the victim to escape is after 20 weeks.

In general though given how American legislators are going completely ass backwards about abortion this is pretty fair for once.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 05:58:39 am »
Another watse of taxpayers' $.  This election, I'm only voting for those who push economic issues.  If I hear/read anything about banning abortion, banning same-sex rights, or religion, I don't care which party they are, they're crap in my book.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 10:58:46 am »
I draw the line when it can feel pain.  I'm that way with animals as well as people.  I couldn't have one of my stray cats fixed until after she had her kittens because they were too far along, and I didn't want them... Well... blah blah, you know.