Author Topic: North Dakota Votes to Send Bill Banning All Abortions to Ballot  (Read 1556 times)

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/03/22/1764141/north-dakota-passes-personhood/

A personhood ban could have far-reaching consequences even beyond abortion care, since it will charge doctors who damage embryos with criminal negligence. Doctors in the state say it will also prevent them from performing in vitro fertilization, and some medical professionals have vowed to leave the state if it is signed into law.

Personhood measures are so extreme that some pro-life Republicans in the state have come out against them, planning to join a pro-choice rally in the state capital on Monday to oppose the far-right abortion restriction. “We have stepped over the line,” Republican state Rep. Kathy Hawken (R-Fargo) said of the recent push to pass personhood. “North Dakota hasn’t even passed a primary seatbelt law, but we have the most invasive attack on women’s health anywhere.”

How bad does a bill have to be before the people that should be supporting it start saying "we've gone too far?"  What's the likelihood of North Dakota citizens voting this down?

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: North Dakota Votes to Send Bill Banning All Abortions to Ballot
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 07:55:50 pm »
Won't someone think of the fetuses??
That being said, this just another ploy to get Roe overturned by the Supreme Court. Congrats North Dakota, I hope you enjoy having blood on your hands.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 09:02:38 pm »
Oh please, the courts will strike that down so fast it'll make their heads spin.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 09:07:02 pm »
I think it's passed.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 09:25:46 pm »
I think it's passed.
It still has to be voted on by the general public though. The "Personhood Bill" was also on the ballot in Mississippi--and was soundly defeated. Hope that puts things in perspective.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 09:43:18 pm »
I think it's passed.
It still has to be voted on by the general public though. The "Personhood Bill" was also on the ballot in Mississippi--and was soundly defeated. Hope that puts things in perspective.
Yeah, if that didn't fly in Mississippi, it won't fly anywhere.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 09:58:53 pm »

Arkansas passed one, which was vetoed by the governor. The legislature overrode the veto.

As has been stated, this law is unconstitutional. Even if it is intended to challenge Roe, the chances of that happening are slim. In order to do so, they USSC would have to overrule their own precedent, which is a pretty major step.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 10:02:56 pm »

Arkansas passed one, which was vetoed by the governor. The legislature overrode the veto.
I thought the Arkansas Attorney General put a stop to that.

As has been stated, this law is unconstitutional. Even if it is intended to challenge Roe, the chances of that happening are slim. In order to do so, they USSC would have to overrule their own precedent, which is a pretty major step.
And I doubt Justice Kennedy changed his mind since Casey...