Author Topic: SCOTUS Hears Gay Marriage Cases  (Read 11963 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: SCOTUS Hears Gay Marriage Cases
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 01:06:26 pm »
Thanks to a huge get out the vote effort by the Mormon Cult of Latter Day Conmen.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 01:53:34 pm »
Here's an article on how such a politically-charged Court might rule on Prop 8. One should always take articles like this with a grain of salt, however.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 03:10:18 pm »
From my reading of the case, I think we're most likely to see SCOTUS either just deny standing, or make a narrow ruling. I very much doubt they'll uphold Prop 8, but it's also unlikely that they'll make a broad ruling.

Of course, if they make a narrow ruling, then I think the logical approach for gay marriage advocates is to sue somewhere else, preferably in a state that never granted gay marriage in the first place. Although seeing their waffling, I'm no longer quite sure that they would make a nationwide ruling given a lack of other options.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Julian

• Pope
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 03:41:57 pm »
Hell even in the land of cheese-eating surrender monkeys* not everyone is on board with the idea of gays and lesbians being human beings who deserve the same rights as heterosexuals.

*I'm French and therefore I can say that. I'm pretty sure that's how that works.
Well to be fair, a lot of those douchebags are also against other groups of heterosexuals having the same sets of rights when it comes to other issues.

America by no means has a monopoly on assholes, bigots and morons.

Frankly they should bus them in every three months to have a big cry, and let everyone laugh at their lame asses until their shampaign runs out of money. It's not all funded by the Catholic church, even if they're the ones doing 90% of the pushing in the background to get asses off seats.

Are they still censoring what posters people are allowed to bring?

• The Beast
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 04:01:58 pm »
From my reading of the case, I think we're most likely to see SCOTUS either just deny standing, or make a narrow ruling. I very much doubt they'll uphold Prop 8, but it's also unlikely that they'll make a broad ruling.

Of course, if they make a narrow ruling, then I think the logical approach for gay marriage advocates is to sue somewhere else, preferably in a state that never granted gay marriage in the first place. Although seeing their waffling, I'm no longer quite sure that they would make a nationwide ruling given a lack of other options.
Well if a lawsuit were started now in a state that does not offer same-sex marriages at all, it would still take at least a few years to make it to the Supreme Court. Remember, the Perry case began in 2009, and the Court's opinion will be revealed in June of this year. This would give ample time for more states to legalize it by legislation or ballot measure, as well as for more people (especially Republicans) to cross over to the pro-equality side. That might give the Court the push it needs.

EDIT: We finally have the audio for the Defense of Marriage Act arguments.

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2013, 04:41:34 pm »
And Bill O'Reilly dismissed gay marriage opponents as "Bible thumpers". You can't explain that.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2013, 05:00:40 pm »
Flip flop from a guy who said that it would lead to people marrying dolphins

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2013, 05:37:53 pm »
So, has Kennedy found his balls yet?
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2013, 05:56:22 pm »

I suspect that he still opposes gay marriage, he just thinks that the arguments put forward, being primarily based on Christian doctrine, are weak, and that sticking to those arguments will lead to gay marriage becoming the law of the land.

(Ugh, posted this in the wrong thread...)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

• The Beast
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2013, 07:19:07 pm »
So, has Kennedy found his balls yet?
Only in this Onion version of the oral arguments.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2013, 08:19:04 pm »
I think they strike down DOMA but up hold prop 8, basically making what defines a marriage as a state issue.   
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2013, 08:34:59 pm »
Was it Prop 8 in California that was found unconstitutional not because refusing gay marriage is a wrong, but because you can't take away rights that have already been given?  Or was that another state?  If the former, then it'll have horrible, horrible implications if it's upheld. 

• The Beast
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2013, 08:43:49 pm »
I think they strike down DOMA but up hold prop 8, basically making what defines a marriage as a state issue.
I sincerely doubt they'll uphold it. Most likely they'll dismiss it over the standing issue, letting the Ninth Circuit decision stand.

• The Beast
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2013, 08:45:19 pm »
Was it Prop 8 in California that was found unconstitutional not because refusing gay marriage is a wrong, but because you can't take away rights that have already been given?  Or was that another state?  If the former, then it'll have horrible, horrible implications if it's upheld.
Yeah that's California. Judge Walker's ruling was broad, striking down bans on same-sex marriage as unconstitutional in general, but the Ninth Circuit issued a much more narrow ruling which stated that you cannot grant a right such as marriage and then revoke that right.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2013, 08:50:01 pm »

I suspect that he still opposes gay marriage, he just thinks that the arguments put forward, being primarily based on Christian doctrine, are weak, and that sticking to those arguments will lead to gay marriage becoming the law of the land.

(Ugh, posted this in the wrong thread...)

According to the article, O'Reilly supports civil unions, and thinks marriage should be left to the states.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!