Author Topic: SCOTUS Hears Gay Marriage Cases  (Read 11936 times)

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
SCOTUS Hears Gay Marriage Cases
« on: March 26, 2013, 11:44:08 am »

The day has finally arrived--today arguments are being heard for the landmark case of Hollingsworth v. Perry, a case which could end in a decision to legalize same-sex marriages in every state. Tomorrow, arguments will be heard for another important case, U.S. v. Windsor, which deals with the constitutionality of the federal Defense of Marriage Act. So, here are some Twitter updates about the Prop 8 case courtesy of SCOTUSblog. I know that the audio for the oral arguments can be found somewhere, I just have to figure it out. (Though if someone else finds it, please post it.)

• The Beast
Re: SCOTUS Hears Gay Marriage Cases
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 11:48:18 am »
As a reminder, the Perry case could have several different outcomes:

1.) The case could be dismissed if the Supreme Court finds that the Prop 8 proponents lack standing in the case.

2.) The Supreme Court could rule that statewide bans on same-sex marriage do not violate the Fourteenth Amendment's Equal Protections Clause.

3.) The Supreme Court could uphold the Ninth Circuit's limited ruling that a state cannot grant a right such as marriage and then rescind said right. This would affect California and theoretically any other state in which this has occurred.

4. The Court could rule that gays and lesbians have a fundamental right to marry and that prohibitions on same-sex marriage are inherently unconstitutional. This move would affect all fifty states, the majority of which do not currently recognize or allow same-sex marriages.

EDIT: Since the decision is expected this June, when we come closer to the deadline I'll start a poll on what people think the results will be.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 12:17:18 pm »
Just read the Twitter updates.

Kennedy's a pussy.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 12:19:49 pm »
Just read the Twitter updates.

Kennedy's a pussy.
Yeah, I think Scalia stole his spine and hid it in the coat room.

• The Beast

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 02:34:24 pm »

1.) The case could be dismissed if the Supreme Court finds that the Prop 8 proponents lack standing in the case.

2.) The Supreme Court could rule that statewide bans on same-sex marriage do not violate the Fourteenth Amendment's Equal Protections Clause.

3.) The Supreme Court could uphold the Ninth Circuit's limited ruling that a state cannot grant a right such as marriage and then rescind said right. This would affect California and theoretically any other state in which this has occurred.

4. The Court could rule that gays and lesbians have a fundamental right to marry and that prohibitions on same-sex marriage are inherently unconstitutional. This move would affect all fifty states, the majority of which do not currently recognize or allow same-sex marriages.

EDIT: Since the decision is expected this June, when we come closer to the deadline I'll start a poll on what people think the results will be.

I am hoping that the 4 option will be the one that is favored and this will have a profound effect never seen since the days of the civil rights movement (I forget which specific cases came before the SCOTUS at the time.)
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 02:42:52 pm »

I am hoping that the 4 option will be the one that is favored and this will have a profound effect never seen since the days of the civil rights movement (I forget which specific cases came before the SCOTUS at the time.)

The one to which a lot of parallels are being drawn is Loving v Virginia, which struck down all interracial marriage bans.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 02:46:36 pm »

From what I'm seeing on the Twitter feed, looks like Kennedy's gonna pussy out and they're likely either going to issue a very narrow ruling or dismiss it.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 02:58:43 pm »

From what I'm seeing on the Twitter feed, looks like Kennedy's gonna pussy out and they're likely either going to issue a very narrow ruling or dismiss it.
Either way then, Prop 8 will be invalidated. And even that I'd gladly accept more than the Court upholding the ban.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 03:55:45 pm »
I just hope that the ruling is in favor of same sex marriage somehow. Also from my lurking on facebook, it looks like the bigots are getting nervous.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 05:53:25 pm »
I wonder how much whining we'll get from the fundies if the court rules in favor of same-sex marriage.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 05:55:51 pm »
I wonder how much whining we'll get from the fundies if the court rules in favor of same-sex marriage.

The fundie reaction in a nutshell:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-03vYYAjA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-03vYYAjA</a>

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 07:10:13 pm »
At least Kennedy sounded sympathetic, even if he sounded overly cautious.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 09:33:16 pm »
Some handy numbers: http://news.msn.com/politics/gay-marriage-by-the-numbers

I'm hoping for the best here, but I really can't get over how ridiculous this entire situation is. The fact that we're still fighting for equality, and that so many people are still against it. I know their reasoning, but it's ludicrous.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 10:02:14 pm »
Nate Silver on Same-sex marriage statistics. I really want to keep this man all for myself, and he can be a great gambling partner.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:29:44 pm by Empress Nicki »