Author Topic: North Korea angry about British TV show  (Read 2531 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
North Korea angry about British TV show
« on: August 31, 2014, 10:21:28 am »
http://news.yahoo.com/n-korea-slams-uk-tv-show-nukes-hideous-083656234.html

Seoul (AFP) - North Korea Sunday slammed a new British TV drama series revolving around its nuclear weapons programme, urging the British government to scrap the "slanderous farce" if it wants to maintain diplomatic ties.

"Opposite Number" -- a series commissioned by Channel 4 -- features a British nuclear scientist captured in the North during a covert mission and forced to help weaponise its nuclear technology.

The 10-part series will take viewers inside the "closed worlds of North Korea" with "opposing CIA and MI6 agents secretly deployed on the ground in Pyongyang, as the clock ticks on a global-scale nuclear crisis", Channel 4 said on its website.

The TV show is "nothing but a slanderous farce" to insult and distort the North's nuclear capability, said the country's top military body, the National Defence Commission (NDC).

The North is already armed with "unimaginably powerful nuclear weaponry" and has no need to steal foreign technology to further develop it, the NDC spokesman said in a statement carried by the state news agency.

"Those who are talking about 'illegal acquisition of nuclear technology' are no more than blind fools and idiots bereft of even elementary ability to discern the truth," said the official.

The impoverished but nuclear-armed state has staged three atomic tests, most recently in 2013, and has often threatened nuclear strikes against major foes Seoul and Washington.

"No matter how desperately the producers of the above-said TV channel, hooligans and rogues under the guise of artistes, may work to falsify the reality, they can never hide the truth," said the official.

He also accused Downing Street of conniving at the perceived provocations, urging it to "throw reactionary movies... into a dumping ground without delay and punish the chief culprits".

"This would help...preserve the hard-won diplomatic relations between the (North) and Britain," the spokesman said.

The isolated Stalinist state always bristles at foreign movies mocking its system or leadership, especially the Kim family that has ruled the country for some six decades with an iron fist and pervasive personality cult.

I swear, North Korea's run by attention whores.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: North Korea angry about British TV show
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 11:15:37 am »
I dunno, unless the programme is a light-hearted comedy, I doubt it'd actually capture the full scale of North Korea's nuclear weapons capability.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 12:35:49 pm »
My first thought is "The UK has diplomatic relations with NK? Really?"
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 01:14:19 pm »
I dunno, unless the programme is a light-hearted comedy, I doubt it'd actually capture the full scale of North Korea's nuclear weapons capability.

If we still had the voting system, I'd +1 this post

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 01:27:12 pm »
My first thought is "The UK has diplomatic relations with NK? Really?"

NK does have an embassy here. Even had a recent diplomatic incident with them involving a local barbershop and a poster of Kim Jong-Un.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-27038723

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 01:47:46 pm »
I remember the barbershop thing.  Thought that was stupid as hell.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 02:27:00 am »
I am left wondering if the North Korean spokes person is a true believer and honestly believes his country has that kind of nuclear capacity, or if he is just trying to make kim jong un feel better.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 07:50:08 am »
I am left wondering if the North Korean spokes person is a true believer and honestly believes his country has that kind of nuclear capacity, or if he is just trying to make kim jong un feel better.

It's NK, it's probably both.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 05:00:59 pm »

So did everybody, including the British authorities if I remember correctly.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 10:54:06 pm »

So did everybody, including the British authorities if I remember correctly.
Maybe it was some kind of smokescreen to distract from their human rights abuses?