Author Topic: Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 111313 times)

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
Re: Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2015, 11:54:51 am »
So 'Hot Ryu' is shirtless to show off his muscles and hyper-masculinity in order to emphasize his combat prowess. Mika is virtually shirtless to show off her tits.

Big strong man punch thing hard vs. I like boobies.

Ah yes, the "male power fantasy" refrain.  Well, romance novels are intended for women.  But if you see a man on one's cover, chances are he's muscular and shirtless.  Obviously, enough women find that attractive for it to be a viable marketing tactic.

Of course it's a viable marketing tactic for attracting bored, middle age and older housewives.

Now, could you please remind me what the target demographic is for the video game in question?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2015, 12:02:11 pm »
So 'Hot Ryu' is shirtless to show off his muscles and hyper-masculinity in order to emphasize his combat prowess. Mika is virtually shirtless to show off her tits.

Big strong man punch thing hard vs. I like boobies.

Ah yes, the "male power fantasy" refrain.  Well, romance novels are intended for women.  But if you see a man on one's cover, chances are he's muscular and shirtless.  Obviously, enough women find that attractive for it to be a viable marketing tactic.

Of course it's a viable marketing tactic for attracting bored, middle age and older housewives.

Now, could you please remind me what the target demographic is for the video game in question?

Aren't most gamers women these days?  It's a slim majority, but a majority nevertheless.

And if it's okay for something female-oriented to have beefcake, why is it wrong for something (supposedly) male-oriented to have cheesecake?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:05:19 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2015, 12:17:04 pm »
If you include all gamers of the broadest definition of video games, including free online point-and-click ultra casual stuff, yes, women are more than half because that category definition is as wide as the world, basically. If you mean gamers as in MMO, PSN and Xbox Live, etc., women are possibly about 5% less than half to date. One thing about uber-muscle male characters is that they are probably meant to appeal to both sexes for different reasons, role model for one and sex object for the other. Hyper-sexy, jiggly female characters are so ubiquitous that straight females probably only register them as just another annoyance that one deals with to play an otherwise good game. Sometimes the characters' hyper-sexy pandering allegedly to appeal to young straight males is downright hilarious, at least for a lesbian like me. I enjoy playing TR/Lara Croft games, but her tits and ass have always been characters in their own right, just like Jessica Rabbit's.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2015, 03:48:13 pm »
If you include all gamers of the broadest definition of video games, including free online point-and-click ultra casual stuff, yes, women are more than half because that category definition is as wide as the world, basically. If you mean gamers as in MMO, PSN and Xbox Live, etc., women are possibly about 5% less than half to date. One thing about uber-muscle male characters is that they are probably meant to appeal to both sexes for different reasons, role model for one and sex object for the other. Hyper-sexy, jiggly female characters are so ubiquitous that straight females probably only register them as just another annoyance that one deals with to play an otherwise good game. Sometimes the characters' hyper-sexy pandering allegedly to appeal to young straight males is downright hilarious, at least for a lesbian like me. I enjoy playing TR/Lara Croft games, but her tits and ass have always been characters in their own right, just like Jessica Rabbit's.

I guess you have a point, at least about some female characters.  But keep in mind, the line between "sex object" and "female power fantasy" is rather blurry.  Power fantasies aren't just about kicking ass.  More often than not, they're also about looking good doing it.  They're wish fulfillment, with everything that entails.  How many men want to be the Thing?  I'm pretty sure most guys don't think being made of orange rock is an acceptable tradeoff for superpowers.  Batman, on the other hand, is nowhere near as powerful, but I think most guys would rather be him than Ben Grimm.

It's the same for women.  Bayonetta, for example, was created by a woman, and plenty of women adore her.  This isn't just true for video games.  I looked up the statistics.  Many, many sexualized comic book heroines have dedicated female fanbases.

And it should be taken into account that there are female "eye candy" characters who look legitimately tough.  Cammy White, for example.  She is jacked.  Where, exactly, does she fall?  She's got too much visible musculature to fall into the stereotypes of sexualized women, and yet plenty of men find her attractive.  Then again, said musculature breaks the mold when it comes to all too many female characters in video games.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing less sexualized female characters in mainstream games.  But I'd prefer that this involves creating new characters, rather than changing existing ones.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2015, 07:38:42 am »
So, African-Americans are owed reparations for slavery, huh? By that logic, Italy owes reparations to Spain, Tunisia, Greece, Algeria, Morocco, Turkey, Syria, France, Egypt, the UK, Israel, Romania, Iraq, and all the other countries that were conquered by Rome, since Ancient Rome took slaves from all its conquests.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2015, 09:51:57 am »
The Republic of Italy is not the same government as the Empire of Rome, though. The USA has the same government now as we did back then, so the idea of reparations makes more sense.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2015, 06:50:40 pm »

originally titled "modern activism".

once upon a time, activism could get you in trouble. nowadays, it gets you followers on tumblr.

humanity fail.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2015, 07:59:50 pm »
-snip-

originally titled "modern activism".

once upon a time, activism could get you in trouble. nowadays, it gets you followers on tumblr.

humanity fail.

I'm pretty sure the intended point of that was to sharply criticize tumblrinas and gators that attach themselves to photoshopped holding-a-piece-of-paper templates.

The whole format is just begging for dishonest reuse.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2015, 10:57:01 am »
Well, yeah.  It's all too easy to 'shop in "I eat my own boogers" or something, especially given how straight and even the text is.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2015, 11:02:19 am »

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2015, 02:17:36 pm »

Even that's not right: someone is in jail for defying a court order.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2015, 05:04:21 pm »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2015, 05:23:14 pm »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2015, 05:46:24 pm »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2015, 06:58:02 pm »
Ben Carson is an outlier and shouldn't be counted.