Author Topic: Blizzard doing Chinese censorship  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Blizzard doing Chinese censorship
« on: October 08, 2019, 07:36:04 am »
https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1181442535962632193

TL;DR Hearthstone player from Hong Kong spoke positively of the protests and as a result Blizzard took away their prize money, banned them from the Hearthstone league and from the entire game.

It's not even the first time they do whatever it takes to stay on the good side of China. Previously they have forced league players from Taiwan to play under the Chinese Taipei flag and refuse any acknowledgement of Taiwanese independence.

This is ridiculous. Even before you take in the bit where Hearthstone casters tried to hide under a table because the pro-Hong Kong message came as a surprise to them and they couldn't hold their laughter. ...And were fired for it.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
Stop the timeline, I wanna get off.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Blizzard doing Chinese censorship
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 10:23:45 pm »
Most of it is BS but the "Chinese Taipei" bit is a longstanding aspect of international law, pursuant to the Nagoya Resolution.

That's how they participate in organizations like the WHO, for example.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.