Author Topic: The Spanish Are Crafty With Poop  (Read 2531 times)

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
The Spanish Are Crafty With Poop
« on: September 27, 2013, 06:51:22 am »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/05/town-mails-dog-poop-spain_n_3390191.html

This is a bit old, but I saw it on the Gruen Transfer last night, so enjoy.

Basically, a spanish council got sick of people got cleaning up after their dogs in public places, so they sent out volunteers to watch the parks. These volunteers would then note any person that didnt pick up their dogs crap and strike up a conversation with them, learning the dogs name.

They then crossreferenced this name in the microchip database and got the owners address.

Then..THEY MAIL THE POOP TO THE OWNER. The great thing is, it decreased the crap left out by 70%.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: The Spanish Are Crafty With Poop
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 11:36:25 am »
Oh that gives me a fun snarky comment idea for the community rant session of my condo association's quarterly meeting. To wit, a few snotty, stupid old folks in the 'hood insist that all of us dog owners are terribly remiss in picking up after our dogs during walks. Like hell - never seen a single case of anyone forgetting to use the poop bags we all carry, and we often end up walking our dogs together in groups of 2 or 3 owners with up to 6 dogs between us - it's quite the pack party, when that happens. The snobs also claim we are letting our dogs off leash or out too far on retractable leashes, because they are finding turds in their flowerbeds and hedges. Um, no. Seriously doubt it.

So, I got up and spoke to mention an important point of information, that the feces left by free roaming pet cats are indistinguishable in size and shape from turds left by small dogs. All but 2 of the 25+ dogs around here are under 25 lbs. Most of us dog owners pick up any other little turds we happen to spot...and it always smells like cat poop. I even used humor; "Well, as sweet and friendly as all the neighborhood kitties are, I have yet to see one excuse itself to run back into the house to use the litter box." That got some laughs. Continuing, I brought up the problem of feral cats. We have quite a few. I stated that people who place pet food bowls outside in their back gardens (these are all fenced) for their cats are also supporting the feral cat population, not to mention the raccoons and opossums.  I got shouted at by the snobs for "Changing the subject! The subject is dog poop!"  ;D (Oh I agree, this topic is shit).

So fuck them. I'm going to add this article to the topics section of the meeting agenda handout next time. Only, cats will now be included in the turd delivery program.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 12:23:44 pm »
LOL, this is fuuny. But I really hate it when people don't clean up after their dogs.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 01:35:40 pm »
Yeah, it's disgusting and dangerous when people don't pick that shit up during walks, and also really bad when they don't pick it up in their yards. The neighbors have to smell that shit too, ya know? I also wish people would take the next logical step. Most just use the plastic bags to pick it up, then place those shit bags into their curbside garbage containers. The trash collection workers have to deal with astounding amounts of feces and germs when those shit bags get crushed and popped open inside the truck compactors, and at the landfill. That is really dangerous and fucking nasty to do to those workers. Use a folded paper towel to pick up the poop, close the paper towel over the turd and carry it back inside the plastic bag to dump it out into the toilet bowl and flush it, instead. It's an easy trend to start. Once I explained why I do that when other dog walkers saw me, they started to do it, and spread the word. It also solves the problem of having a really stinky dog shit bag collection that people would keep out in their garages between trash pickup days.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 02:33:19 pm »
Oh that gives me a fun snarky comment idea for the community rant session of my condo association's quarterly meeting. To wit, a few snotty, stupid old folks in the 'hood insist that all of us dog owners are terribly remiss in picking up after our dogs during walks. Like hell - never seen a single case of anyone forgetting to use the poop bags we all carry, and we often end up walking our dogs together in groups of 2 or 3 owners with up to 6 dogs between us - it's quite the pack party, when that happens. The snobs also claim we are letting our dogs off leash or out too far on retractable leashes, because they are finding turds in their flowerbeds and hedges. Um, no. Seriously doubt it.

So, I got up and spoke to mention an important point of information, that the feces left by free roaming pet cats are indistinguishable in size and shape from turds left by small dogs. All but 2 of the 25+ dogs around here are under 25 lbs. Most of us dog owners pick up any other little turds we happen to spot...and it always smells like cat poop. I even used humor; "Well, as sweet and friendly as all the neighborhood kitties are, I have yet to see one excuse itself to run back into the house to use the litter box." That got some laughs. Continuing, I brought up the problem of feral cats. We have quite a few. I stated that people who place pet food bowls outside in their back gardens (these are all fenced) for their cats are also supporting the feral cat population, not to mention the raccoons and opossums.  I got shouted at by the snobs for "Changing the subject! The subject is dog poop!"  ;D (Oh I agree, this topic is shit).

So fuck them. I'm going to add this article to the topics section of the meeting agenda handout next time. Only, cats will now be included in the turd delivery program.

My family always puts our cat on a leash when we let her outside. For some reason, this is considered weird.

Honestly though, I don't understand why people just let their cats run around free outside.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 05:48:30 pm »

My family always puts our cat on a leash when we let her outside. For some reason, this is considered weird.

Honestly though, I don't understand why people just let their cats run around free outside.

OMG SOMEONE ELSE WHO DOES THIS!

I want to be your bestest best frieeeeeeeend =3=
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 06:34:48 pm »
Free roaming pet cats are in danger of being hit by cars, getting their asses kicked by dogs, by tough stray cats with diseases, including feline leukemia, and of attack from large raptors like red hawks, turkey buzzards and bald eagles, and attack by foxes, coyotes and raccoons. That's a long list of common dangers. Who cares if it "looks weird" to walk your cat? It might take a while to acclimate an adult cat to a harness and leash, but a couple folks around here do it, and it's cute as hell. It's a good motivator for the really frail older folks to get a little bit of fresh air and a slow, easy walk. It's also a perfect young person's excuse to get out of the house and make calls and text without interruption.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 07:55:42 pm »
Some cats are very good about not wandering away from their own yard. Plus if you have a decent amount of land, it'd be pretty silly to only let your cat outside on a leash. I think having it on a leash is considered weird because, well, it's a friggin' cat. It's not going to respond like a dog that's been put on a leash. All the cats I've had or been around are far too independent to put on a leash.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 09:34:53 pm »
OMG SOMEONE ELSE WHO DOES THIS!

I want to be your bestest best frieeeeeeeend =3=

Awwwww.

Some cats are very good about not wandering away from their own yard. Plus if you have a decent amount of land, it'd be pretty silly to only let your cat outside on a leash. I think having it on a leash is considered weird because, well, it's a friggin' cat. It's not going to respond like a dog that's been put on a leash. All the cats I've had or been around are far too independent to put on a leash.

I wasn't referring to walking a cat. That is quite impossible.

My parents use a long length of rope attached to a fixed point in the yard. Punkin is free to explore as she wishes, but can't wander too far away.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 09:39:35 pm by Random Guy »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 11:13:46 pm »
Not to mention cats actually do adjust just as well to leashes as dogs do.

Even our older cat quickly learned how to adjust to a leash while we still had her, despite only having started near the last fourth of her life.

... :(
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 12:18:27 am »
My grandmother has an enclosed porch that she would let her cats out onto to keep them from running off. Although her cat died recently, she lived to be fairly old (14 I think).

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 02:37:10 am »
My family has a decent amount of land, so we let our cats outside whenever they want. They usually only go on the porch, in the backyard, or in the garden. We also have a deck that one cat has claimed as her own.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Bender_Rodríguez

• Bishop
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 04:00:30 am »
On my way to work the other day, I saw an old man scooping his poop with one of those long arm scoops.  I watched him grab it and walk over and drop it right onto the curb.  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.  I need to get the hell out of "rural" missouri

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 12:14:42 pm »
Not to mention cats actually do adjust just as well to leashes as dogs do.

Even our older cat quickly learned how to adjust to a leash while we still had her, despite only having started near the last fourth of her life.

... :(

There are hundreds of videos of owners walking their cats on leashes. It's a slow, stop and go, leisurely affair where you let the cat go where it wants, sit when it wants, following behind with the leash. The best looking scenarios are where the cat's harness is attached to a long light retractable leash, such as are made for tiny breeds of dogs, with the string like cord versus tape shaped cord.