Author Topic: Living Will - authorized euthansia Vs hospice care  (Read 3849 times)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Living Will - authorized euthansia Vs hospice care
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 03:06:34 pm »
Ehh... I don't know if I'd want to be euthanised for that.  For acquiring disabilities, there should be a waiting period to get past the depression that follows such things, IMO.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 03:11:18 pm »
I'd actually be okay with it, provided they received proper counseling beforehand and had a decent period of time to consider it.  If they think life without sight isn't worth living for them, well, that's their decision.  Certainly not everyone would agree, but there are plenty of people who prefer to keep fighting through a terminal illness, even once there's little to no hope.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 03:15:40 pm »
True that, Jack Mann.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 04:30:22 pm »
Can't say I blame them seeing as they are already deaf and seeing as sight is 70% of your information

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 04:35:54 pm »
True, but in time one can actually become accustomed to it and the other senses develop more acuity.  To me... I'd consider euthanasia if I was blind AND deaf, but even then people can adapt. 
It's a big choice, and something that shouldn't be approached when the depression is taking place and the wounds are raw.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 04:47:18 pm »
Yeah, what Jack Mann said. Knowing that such a pill is available would probably lead to more people who are temporarily under extreme stress committing suicide. People who just lost a loved one are a good example.

I'd also like to point out that if someone's in the real mental shitter, that it's probably not going to "go away in a few days."

I dunno about that.  I support the right to die, but I think it's something that should have some oversight and red tape.  There have been plenty of people who considered suicide, committed, were stopped at the last minute, and ended up regretting the decision.  Suicide should not be a snap decision.  If, after thinking it over a few days, they still want to kill themselves?  By all means.

Severe chronic depression?  Better commit suicide!  Maybe that's not what you're saying, but that's sure the hell how it could be read.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 05:23:13 pm »
I know you weren't talking to me, but to be clear, I was referring more to the acute depression that often takes place when one loses a sense or body part.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 12:10:43 am »
Yeah, what Jack Mann said. Knowing that such a pill is available would probably lead to more people who are temporarily under extreme stress committing suicide. People who just lost a loved one are a good example.

I'd also like to point out that if someone's in the real mental shitter, that it's probably not going to "go away in a few days."

I dunno about that.  I support the right to die, but I think it's something that should have some oversight and red tape.  There have been plenty of people who considered suicide, committed, were stopped at the last minute, and ended up regretting the decision.  Suicide should not be a snap decision.  If, after thinking it over a few days, they still want to kill themselves?  By all means.

Severe chronic depression?  Better commit suicide!  Maybe that's not what you're saying, but that's sure the hell how it could be read.

Severe chronic depression that doesn't respond to treatment?  Honestly, I would support someone who wanted to end their life under those conditions.  Some people don't find a treatment that works for them.  It's unfortunate.  And maybe someday we will find a cure.  But if life is intolerable, with no way of getting better...  Well, I'm not sure I'd want to live.

Again, though, this is contingent on them making an informed choice.  As in the case of blindness, I would want them to have received counseling beforehand.

I don't want anyone making a snap judgement and killing themselves over a temporary problem.  I certainly don't want anyone to think they have an obligation to die.  But if they have been given the facts, have had time to consider it, and are mentally sound, then they should have the right to decide what's too much for them.

Sometimes, they're not going to make the choice you or I think is right, it's true.  But that's the point.  It's their choice.  At least, it should be.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا