Author Topic: FDA to lift Ban on Gay blood donations  (Read 3374 times)

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
FDA to lift Ban on Gay blood donations
« on: December 23, 2014, 11:01:21 pm »
Oh happy day, here's a quote from the article

The US Food and Drug Administration said Tuesday it will move to ease a lifetime ban on blood donations from homosexual men, allowing them to give after a year of abstaining from sexual activity.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/fda-to-lift-lifetime-ban-on-blood-donations-from-gay-men/

While it's not perfect since they have to go a year without sex, it's still progress in my book.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: FDA to lift Ban on Gay blood donations
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 11:15:22 pm »
Still, progress is progress.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 11:17:29 pm »
Cue fundies suddenly finding Bible verses interpreted to mean that blood transfusions are evil.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 11:22:42 pm »
So you mean Jehovah Witnesses?

Ironbite-who have been on that kick for centuries now?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 11:23:26 pm »
Cue fundies suddenly finding Bible verses interpreted to mean that blood transfusions are evil.

Beat me to it.   ;D

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 11:47:44 pm »
Or demanding that hospitals make sure not to give them any homo blood, the way racists will sometimes demand that they only get blood from their own race.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 01:00:59 am »

Yeah, but now it won't just be them.

Or demanding that hospitals make sure not to give them any homo blood, the way racists will sometimes demand that they only get blood from their own race.

And I can definitely see this.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 05:40:03 am »
Finland has the same deal on blood donations.

On one hand it is still really strict, but this isn't the only harsh restriction the Red cross has, anyone who spent time in Britain during the mad cow disease is banned from donating blood for life, on the other hand I think that one year waiting period is unnecessarily long. Most diseases would show up in exams much sooner.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 08:03:23 am »

Well, those are likely the same people that are afraid that GMO crops are going to sterilize them or some shit.  After all, the government clearly wants to kill us all.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 08:55:20 am »
Finland has the same deal on blood donations.

On one hand it is still really strict, but this isn't the only harsh restriction the Red cross has, anyone who spent time in Britain during the mad cow disease is banned from donating blood for life, on the other hand I think that one year waiting period is unnecessarily long. Most diseases would show up in exams much sooner.

i can't give blood outside the uk for that reason... and i thought it was just because the french hated the british... logic fail?
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 11:37:59 am »

Well, those are likely the same people that are afraid that GMO crops are going to sterilize them or some shit.  After all, the government clearly wants to kill us all.

The worst thing is I can see an awesome business opportunity here: set up a private blood bank and only use white heterosexual donors and sell it for a stupidly marked up price under the brand name Good Blood. You could even set up special insurance riders and the like.

(Then there are the trolling possibilities: set the same thing up for conflicting demographics, max and match while you make you money, flee to an extradition free location and spill the beans on national news while sitting on a pile of cash sipping mai-tais surrounded by naked men and/or women)

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 02:05:57 pm »
I still maintain that the restricting factor should be anal sex, not male homosexuality. Anal sex is the actual risk factor in HIV transmission, and using male homosexuality instead both allows risky donations by straight people who do anal and unjustly punishes gay men who don't do anal.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 06:27:47 pm »
Imagine inadvertently becoming a gay black man.  How long would it take to reconstruct your social life?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 08:31:45 pm »
Imagine inadvertently becoming a gay black man.  How long would it take to reconstruct your social life?

That would be impossible, you'd probably be shot on the spot.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 08:58:29 pm »
Yeah, I hate it when that happens.