Author Topic: Judge orders infant's name changed on religious reasons  (Read 5053 times)

wrightway

Judge orders infant's name changed on religious reasons
« on: August 12, 2013, 08:10:39 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/tenn-judge-changes-infants-name-messiah-215423538.html

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge said.

Well, this is judicial overreaching if I've ever seen it. Parents arguing over the last name of their infant went before a judge to determine what the last name would be. The judge ruled on the last name, and the first name. She decided that it was detrimental in her "christian county" for the child to be named Messiah, and renamed him Martin.

Look, if the kid doesn't want his name he can change it when he gets older. It's none of her damned business what his first name is.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: Judge orders infant's name changed on religious reasons
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 08:15:21 pm »
Messiah is a really stupid name that no parent should inflict upon their child anyway, but I do think this was an overreach of the judge's power.

Then again, there are parents who name their kids things like Aryan Nation and Adolf Hitler Campbell, so maybe there are some cases where the judge should intervene and change the child's name. These very real kids ended up in foster care for other reasons, so I don't know what happened to them or whether they still use their birth names. (Come to think of it, white supremacists like to name their kids some really stupid shit...)

However, to my knowledge, America doesn't have any laws that prescribe naming requirements for children, so technically changing a child's name under the law should be impossible. Should such regulations exist?
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:30:57 pm »
So... if a Hispanic couple who have a child named Jesus came before this judge, would they be forced to change that child's name?

I have heard some bizarre names before but one that I heard in high school was a girl name "Toyleta, pronounced Toilet-a (though she insisted on be called "Leta"
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

wrightway

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 08:36:31 pm »
I actually thought about the Adolf Hitler kid when I first saw this article. As I recall, the parents brought attention to themselves with the name and were then busted running a meth lab. While I think the name is beyond silly, there are no laws limiting what you can name your child. Especially, as pointed out by Neverland, when cultural differences can make names mean different things.

Offline Clochette

• Bishop
  • spin spin sugar
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:19:17 pm »
I actually thought about the Adolf Hitler kid when I first saw this article. As I recall, the parents brought attention to themselves with the name and were then busted running a meth lab. While I think the name is beyond silly, there are no laws limiting what you can name your child. Especially, as pointed out by Neverland, when cultural differences can make names mean different things.

Why is it that the people who crow the loudest about white superiority always seem to be the worst examples of it?

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 09:39:26 pm »
So... if a Hispanic couple who have a child named Jesus came before this judge, would they be forced to change that child's name?

I have heard some bizarre names before but one that I heard in high school was a girl name "Toyleta, pronounced Toilet-a (though she insisted on be called "Leta"

I knew a boy once who was named "Ransom." One has to wonder what his parents were thinking of when they named him that.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 09:43:06 pm »
What nicknames could this kid get in life? It would be really easy for elementary schoolers to nickname him "Messy" and laugh.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 09:56:44 pm »
What nicknames could this kid get in life? It would be really easy for elementary schoolers to nickname him "Messy" and laugh.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 10:07:41 pm »
I wonder if anyone kid named Ransom has ever been kidnapped, and when the kidnapper demands a ransom the negotiators just break down laughing.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 11:40:36 pm »
It's a stupid name, but the judge's reasons for changing it are equally stupid.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:31:27 am by Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 12:27:44 am »

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge said.

Well, this is judicial overreaching if I've ever seen it. Parents arguing over the last name of their infant went before a judge to determine what the last name would be. The judge ruled on the last name, and the first name. She decided that it was detrimental in her "christian county" for the child to be named Messiah, and renamed him Martin.

Look, if the kid doesn't want his name he can change it when he gets older. It's none of her damned business what his first name is.

The judge is a pious, pompous ass. I will even accuse her of a Freudian slip in naming the kid after (Trayvon) Martin, posthumously crucified in another court, just like her favorite fanfic hero, Jesus Christ the Messiah.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline agentCDE

• Bishop
  • Slacker Heathen Extraordinaire!
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 12:41:13 am »

If I remember correctly the point was raised in the courtroom and the judge basically went NUH UH DOESN'T COUNT I'M NOT LISTENING LA LA LA LA LA LA

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 12:51:16 am »

That right there should be grounds for impeachment. The constitution more or less establishes that the US is not a christian country. If you don't know the most basic facts about your country's constitution, then you need to get the fuck out of the judiciary.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 01:40:40 am »

I agree.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 03:03:28 am »
There should at least be a law. I know it'll probably violate a whole other bunchs of laws, but parents shouldn't be able to name their kids just any crazy shit they think up. "Messiah" is a pretty tame title, they could have picked something even more fucked up, like "Cock Shaft Grasping Sleeves"