Author Topic: Gun Control  (Read 79673 times)

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
Re: Gun Control
« Reply #330 on: January 09, 2013, 04:02:29 pm »
I'm feeling mildly more human now, and should point out I don't think a gun ban will work simply because we don't even know where the bloody hell half of them are. Despite their being at least one for every adult in the country......

that's probably why every gan ban I've ever seen has a grandfather clauses.

Plus it seems a lot of mass shooters try to build their arsenal right away.  But I could be wrong about that.  Such a ban would be more likely to target potential shooters then people who, having had these weapons for years without incident, probably won't become mass shooters.

Admittedly that's hypothetical.

Also there will eventually be the problem of 3D printers.

There are already people who have tried making plastic guns

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Distind

« Reply #331 on: January 09, 2013, 04:15:55 pm »
I dislike grandfather clauses because it means they're a secondary market with a gun for everyone just waiting to happen. For a ban to be effective it has to be, you know, a ban. Otherwise it's a minor limitation on market size. If we're talking illegal guns, then ban of resale isn't going to manage jack either.

3D printers are a different monster, you have to get ammo from somewhere, and that's about where my license for ammo purchase comes in. I'd be downright impressed if someone managed to print a case and primer for a round. Not enough to be shot, but if they could do that I'd have printed my own mk 19 for the oncoming gunpocolypse anyway. I've claimed I could use one for landscaping purposes, no one has disputed it's possible but they said it isn't a valid reason to be able to own one.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #332 on: January 09, 2013, 08:15:41 pm »
It seems one of my earlier comments has caused some confusion and I'd like to clear this up.

When I read this:
See, my own state, Oklahoma, is one of a few where we don't require people to register their firearms or get a license to own them and the only way this would work is if a law were passed at a Federal level requiring firearms to be registered.

I was horrified. In America there are more regulations on owning a car than there is on owning a firearm. According to Damen, in Oklahoma, there is technically no such thing as an illegal firearm because they are not a controlled product.

Here's where there seems to be some confusion. In the United States, there is no Federal requirement to register personally owned firearms that are not Class 3 (or Title 2), that is left up to the states. My state of Oklahoma is, surprisingly, not an anomaly in the lack of required registration. Back in 1986, the United States Government passed the Firearm Owners Protection Act which, among other things, actually prohibits the Federal government from having a firearm registry. Honestly, I was baffled to find out that only three states and four cities, California, Michigan and Hawaii and DC, Chicago, Omaha, and Clark County, NV, require some type of firearm registration. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

However, a non-registered firearm in the state of Oklahoma (and other places) can still be an illegal firearm at the Federal level if that firearm or the owner of that firearm violates certain prohibited laws regarding the ownership or transfer of that firearm, or if that firearm has certain prohibited features. An example of a prohibited feature would be a rifle which has a barrel length of less than 16 inches (406.4mm) or an over-all length of less than 26 inches (660.4mm). Anything shorter than this is classified as a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) and is a Title 2 firearm requiring special paperwork, more extensive background checks, a tax stamp and a sign-off from the chief of the local law enforcement stating that it does not violate any laws. The actual law, as written, states:

The term ''short-barreled rifle'' means a rifle having one or
more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made
from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if
such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than
twenty-six inches.

In the case of shotguns they are required to have a minimum barrel length of 18 inches (457.2mm) but most all manufacturers make their barrels with a length of 18.5 inches (469.9mm) and an overall length of, again, 26 inches (660.4mm). Any shotgun or rifle with an overall length of less than 26 inches (660.4mm) would be illegal in my state. Here is an over-view of the firearm laws in Oklahoma, if you're curious about them.

I am completely baffled that the concept of just requiring everyone to be registered with the state and having all their firearms registered also is considered an attack on someone personally. Why can we not have a real legal discussion about having people register their weapons? It really is the very absolute least we can do.

Because a common theme you'll hear from the rabidly right-wing pro-gunners is the belief that "registration always leads to confiscation." To back this up they'll cite the various dictatorships that have cropped up throughout history, the common three would be Hitler, Stalin and Mao, where the leaders first registered and then confiscated civilian firearms. I find this to be paranoia and silly and that the likelihood of this happening in the USA is minimal. Personally, I'd have no problems with a Federal law requiring registration of firearms on the condition that the information would not be able to be made public so we won't end up with another flare-up like with the newspaper publishing them. That is the sort of info that does nothing to serve the public good and can only harm. Do I support mandatory registration? Well, to be honest, I neither support or oppose it.

These excuses are rubbish. Gun control laws are not a personal attack on anyone, stricter gun control laws will reduce the amount of crimes that happen with legal weapons, as well as making getting possession of an illegal one harder, and despite the monumental effort to implement, it can still be done. It will always seem impossible until you actually start doing something about it.

My personal favorite idea is the one I mentioned to QueenOfHearts: subsidize the purchase and installation of firearm safes. One of the best things we can do is make it harder for thieves to get to a person's firearms. That means a good, heavy, bolted down safe that will take a lot of time to get into. From there we can move on to other areas, like stiffer penalties for straw purchases, crack down on dealers who will illegally sell firearms, make it a requirement that police who find an illegally owned weapon are to confiscate that weapon and open the NICS background checks to the public.

Seriously, it is not to hard. Implement registration requirements and limitations on firearms both in type and number owned. Allow people to turn in their weapons if they do not meet the requirements, and provide about a year window for this. I don't want to hear how people cant afford to register themselves and their weapons because that's a lie, these people can afford their guns to begin with. If they cant afford to register, the correct option is to then hand them in to the police. The police then melt down and destroy all the collected firearms, and in their normal duties any unregistered firearm they come across is also collected and destroyed. In this process you gradually reign in the wanton gun ownership and violence. Nothing worth doing happens overnight.

I actually have less of a problem with prolific legal firearm ownership, regardless of the type of firearm or number of firearms anyone owns than I do with people thinking that if you just make this type of rifle or that type of handgun illegal that it'll solve the problems we have. There would be less firearm crime, yes, I will not deny that because it is simple math: fewer firearms, fewer firearms to commit crimes with. However, fewer firearms does not always equal less crime overall. Something the pro-gun side is half right about is that it is a complicated issue. That is completely correct but no, that is not a reason to try to do something about it. However, I find the idea of banning this or that to be simplistic at best and ineffective at worst.

For example, the biggest thing I am hearing from the anti-gun side (to borrow a term) is that we have this overwhelming and burning need to ban modern sporting rifles (more popularly, and incorrectly, known as assault rifles). I keep hearing that these rifles are the greatest threat to public safety ever. But this is demonstratively false. According to the FBI, more people are killed each year by knives than by all rifles (bolt action, lever action, pump action, and semi-auto) combined. According to the FBI, more people are killed each year by blunt objects such as clubs and hammers than by all types of rifles combined. According to the FBI, more people are killed with "personal weapons" than all types of rifles. "Personal weapons" in this case includes "hands, fists, feet, ect." According to the FBI, the most common weapon used for homicide in the United States are handguns.

Another thing I hear from the anti-gun side is that "assault weapons" are the weapons of choice of mass shooters. This, too, is false. I just looked up mass shootings in the United States on Wikipedia (yes, I know, I'm lazy) and have seen...frankly, far more than I wanted to. But the ratio of rampage killers using semi-auto rifles to killers that used handguns was quite astonishing in that there were more of them using handguns than rifles and even less of them used semi-auto rifles.

I wasn't kidding when I said this is a complicated issue and that's because the problems we face go much deeper than just having access to firearms. If we continue to focus only on the method and not the motive for these actions we will have failed: both the victims and in getting the perps the help they need. Not long after the Sandy Hook shooting I saw a woman being interviewed who was saying that her son needed to get help for his mental problems but the only way she could get him into an institution was if she pressed assault charges against him. Keeping mental healthcare expensive and difficult to obtain while combining it with crushing poverty and social stigmas is a recipe for tragedy.

This turned into a far longer rant than I originally anticipated, it is just that I see the same arguments from the pro-gun side and it is starting to get to me.

Don't worry, I fully understand where you're coming from. For me, I keep seeing the same arguments from the anti-gun side, so I can sympathize with your frustrations.

I have a personal little bet going. I predict that given the last 2 years, that there will be another mass shooting event in America within 5 months. I am waiting to see if I am right.

While I agree, I think the bigger problem isn't the mass shootings. It's the ones and twos that happen every day in most major cities. They seem to happen a couple times a night in my own hometown.

For what it's worth, I too want stricter gun control. And please bear in mind who it is typing this. I want stricter, effective gun control. What worries me is it will be practically useless feel good while accomplishing nothing legislation that comes out of D.C. and the various state capitols. If we can avoid that and find some sort of gun control that would do something, I'm all on board. As would be most regular posters here I'd bet. Even Damen, Shep, and Stormwarden.

Oh hell yes I'd be on board with that in a New York minute.

But the problem I'm seeing is that right now the majority of the President's task force to reduce gun crime isn't consulting with the people they need to. It's made up of legislators who have a history of pushing for gun bans/harsher restrictions and people who have been victims of firearm crimes and they're talking to shooting victims, hunter groups and fucking Wal-Mart. I think they'll finally have a chat with the NRA tomorrow, but even then they're not talking to the people who would have the most knowledge of what to do: gunsmiths, firearm instructors, ATF, law enforcement, criminologists or psychiatrists. This is largely why I am so skeptical that anything meaningful will be done and the only people who will be affected are legal firearm owners.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #333 on: January 09, 2013, 10:11:22 pm »
Rookie hit it right on the head. I want meaningful gun laws, not half-assed feel-good crap that's more about garnering votes than providing any meaningful reform. The big problem is that we have a bunch of hyper-reactive politicians in the House and Senate, and their past works after major shootings tells me not to have any faith in their ability to get anything done.

We have "ban them all" fuckwits on one end and "DON'T TOUCH OUR GUNS!!1!" fucktards on the other end. Some say that perhaps they can come to something meaningful. I'll believe it when I see it, because they're the ones dominating the arguments, leaving the moderates out in the cold. If there's one thing I've seen since Columbine, it's that politicians love the chickenshit way out of their problems.

Limits on number of firearms purchased at any point, with exceptions for collectors and gun shop owners? I'm okay with this. Gun owners required to notify law enforcement or report their guns sold if they sell a gun owner-to-owner? I'm okay with this. Limits on clip size? I'm okay with that, provided that the rare exception (feral hogs ARE a very real threat down south, amongst certain other things, like coyotes.) is accommodated. Comprehensive gunowner education, both in the laws and their use, being drilled into their heads? I'm okay with that, as a lot of gun crimes that get reported are actually cases of not knowing the law.

But I keep saying this over and over again. Mental health reform, both in medicine and in our culture, needs to happen as well. We're dealing with a lot of mental illnesses that aren't reported or treated because of the stigma attached to them. I think it's this that will do more good. But again, I'm cynical that our politicians will be willing to do something that might actually require work.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #334 on: January 09, 2013, 10:24:08 pm »
I haven't really followed most of this debate because it is lengthy and I am lazy but have laws relating to firearm storage been raised.

My impression of US gun laws is that I can basically keep a loaded gun under my pillow. Personally I think firearms should be kept in a gun safe with ammunition kept in a separate safe. This would prevent (or at least hinder) people who don't own the firearms from having access to them, such as the children of the owners or intruders to the House.

I suspect, although I don't have any hard figures, they would also reduce the number of accidental shootings.

And you don't need a drum of ammo for hunting.

Offline Damen

• The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
« Reply #335 on: January 09, 2013, 10:33:44 pm »
I haven't really followed most of this debate because it is lengthy and I am lazy but have laws relating to firearm storage been raised.

My impression of US gun laws is that I can basically keep a loaded gun under my pillow. Personally I think firearms should be kept in a gun safe with ammunition kept in a separate safe. This would prevent (or at least hinder) people who don't own the firearms from having access to them, such as the children of the owners or intruders to the House.

I suspect, although I don't have any hard figures, they would also reduce the number of accidental shootings.

As far as I can tell, there's no Federal law relating to the storage of firearms in your own home. This may vary from state to stage, but I'm not sure. However, laws regarding the transport of firearms do exist.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #336 on: January 14, 2013, 09:21:45 am »
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 03:42:02 am by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Damen

• The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
« Reply #337 on: January 26, 2013, 03:09:39 am »
I feel I must resuscitate this thread because earlier I'd mentioned the gun permit map that the morons at the newspaper published. Wykked Wytch was kind enough to inform me that the newspaper removed the map and that privacy provisions were put in place with the recent gun control law that was ram-rodded through the New York state congress to prevent this crap from happening again. Of course, they also had death threats and "white powder scares" and ended up hiring armed guards. The irony of them hiring armed security was delicious for me.

HOWEVER! That is not the point to this update. The point to this is to say that the NRA, the Brady Campaign, senators, talking heads as well as yours truly and the others on this forum and everywhere else who were saying that the newspaper just gave crooks a map of where guns are to be stolen were right.

Two handguns and two pistol permits were stolen from the New City home of a man whose name and address are listed on the website of a local newspaper as possessing gun permits, police said.

The thieves ransacked the house Wednesday night, breaking into two safes on the home's third floor and stealing a third safe. The guns were in the stolen safe, police said.

Of course, in fairness, the police also pointed out:

Clarkstown police said they had no evidence the burglary was connected to the controversial map.

"The burglary is still under investigation, and there are no facts to support this correlation at this time," Clarkstown Sgt. Joanne Fratianni said in a statement. "If the investigation develops further information, it will be released accordingly."

Of course, I'd like to take the time to point out that this is not something we'll know for sure until the thieves are caught. And, honestly, I'm not holding my breath for that. But, the article goes on to point out:

The burglary comes less than a week after a White Plains homeowner -- who also was listed on the Journal News website as having gun permits -- arrived home to find his home burglarized, with jewelry missing and an attempted break-in of his gun safe. The thieves were not successful, and no guns were stolen.

---

The homeowner's stolen pistol permits were for Rockland and Orange counties.

Rockland was one of the counties published in the newspaper's map.

The head of the White Plains Police Benevolent Association, Robert Riley, has been one of the fiercest critics of the Journal News map, saying it puts the lives of police and ordinary residents in potential danger.

"The Journal News printed a virtual treasure map for criminals," Riley said Monday. "It lets the bad guys know who is vulnerable, due to not having a gun permit, and where to go if they wanted a gun."

The newspaper thought they were doing a public service and people were quoted as making them "feel safer knowing" where the guns are. Well, the criminals knew too and stole those guns from the law abiding citizens. How safe do you feel now?
"Fear my .45"

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #338 on: January 26, 2013, 05:25:47 am »
Even on survivalist forums (filled with some of the most deranged lunatics in humanity), most of them don't talk about their prepping and even try to keep their firearm ownership on the down low. Why? Because they know that if there was a crisis or disaster of some sort and people were fighting for their survival, everyone who knows that they have guns and supplies will mob them to try and get them to donate or "donate" supplies and weapons.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #339 on: January 27, 2013, 11:21:50 am »

Um, there are very little "U.S. gun laws". Most just deal with higher classes of weaponry and provide some guidance on interstate travel. What you do have is 50 state laws plus laws for the District and U.S. territories. And who the fuck knows how many local ordinances and restrictions. Maryland requires me to have a gun safe and trigger locks. Wyoming might not require any of that. Oklahoma may only require trigger locks while Vermont may only require safes. Can you sleep with the gun under your pillow? Check your local listings. But I will put this out there. Maryland does require safes and locks. But really, there's nothing stopping me from sleeping with a gun under my pillow, laws be damned.   
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Damen

• The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
« Reply #340 on: January 27, 2013, 02:07:31 pm »
Um, there are very little "U.S. gun laws". Most just deal with higher classes of weaponry and provide some guidance on interstate travel. What you do have is 50 state laws plus laws for the District and U.S. territories. And who the fuck knows how many local ordinances and restrictions. Maryland requires me to have a gun safe and trigger locks. Wyoming might not require any of that. Oklahoma may only require trigger locks while Vermont may only require safes. Can you sleep with the gun under your pillow? Check your local listings. But I will put this out there. Maryland does require safes and locks. But really, there's nothing stopping me from sleeping with a gun under my pillow, laws be damned.

I'm not going to dispute anything there (because there's nothing to dispute [save that Oklahoma doesn't require trigger locks and those laws were found unconstitutional in the Heller case]). But I will say you are vastly understating just how many gun laws there are in the USA. How many are there? I don't know. And the simple truth is, no one does for sure (yet) because we hark back to the sheer size of the United States. In this vast country we have the Federal laws. And then we have state laws. But then we also have gun laws at the county level and at the city, town and village level.

When you look at the sheer scope of how many states, counties and cities there are and consider that they may all have different gun laws, the (still unknown) number of gun laws in the USA can swiftly become mind boggling.
"Fear my .45"

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #341 on: January 27, 2013, 03:57:44 pm »
Minor correction but Stalin allowed his citizens who had guns to keep them and Hitler only took guns away from the people he wanted to kill.  Actually he wanted Germans to have guns

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #342 on: January 27, 2013, 07:47:10 pm »

I'm not going to dispute anything there (because there's nothing to dispute [save that Oklahoma doesn't require trigger locks and those laws were found unconstitutional in the Heller case]). But I will say you are vastly understating just how many gun laws there are in the USA. How many are there? I don't know. And the simple truth is, no one does for sure (yet) because we hark back to the sheer size of the United States. In this vast country we have the Federal laws. And then we have state laws. But then we also have gun laws at the county level and at the city, town and village level.

When you look at the sheer scope of how many states, counties and cities there are and consider that they may all have different gun laws, the (still unknown) number of gun laws in the USA can swiftly become mind boggling.

You're misunderstanding his point. When he says there are very few "U.S. gun laws", he's referring to the federal laws. In fact, he immediately goes into explaining the many conflicting state laws.

That's why any gun owner needs to carefully look at the gun laws for his/her state and the states that they plan on visiting or passing through while carrying or purchasing weapons. It's also why making any kind of blanket statement about "gun laws in the US" or "Americans are trigger-happy and keep loaded guns all around the house" is extremely naive and narrow-minded. Federal gun laws only cover a few areas, namely strictly regulated weapons (machine guns, short-barreled rifles and shotguns, and destructive devices).

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #343 on: January 27, 2013, 09:05:42 pm »
All the more reason for there to be a review of gun laws on at least the Federal and State levels. Reviewing local gun laws would also be a big help as well, but given the reluctance of local authorities to address them, it will be difficult.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating: Restore the ATF, get them a director, and, after reviewing the laws currently on the books and eliminating the chaff, start enforcing them properly. And educate, educate, EDUCATE. Teach firearm safety from a young age, make it clear that they aren't toys, and teach responsibility.Unfortunately, I'm not sure the pols can stop playing politics long enough to get any real work done.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #344 on: January 27, 2013, 09:49:14 pm »
All the more reason for there to be a review of gun laws on at least the Federal and State levels. Reviewing local gun laws would also be a big help as well, but given the reluctance of local authorities to address them, it will be difficult.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating: Restore the ATF, get them a director, and, after reviewing the laws currently on the books and eliminating the chaff, start enforcing them properly. And educate, educate, EDUCATE. Teach firearm safety from a young age, make it clear that they aren't toys, and teach responsibility.Unfortunately, I'm not sure the pols can stop playing politics long enough to get any real work done.

Restore? The ATF is still fully operational. Their agents still make investigations and searches (and get attacked by pit bulls, which happened recently), and you need to go through them to get a Federal Firearms License. They have about 5000 employees and a $1.2 billion budget.