Author Topic: National Elections Thread  (Read 78269 times)

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
Re: National Elections Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2016, 10:48:10 pm »
Watching Trump's speech in front of that crowd is too scary to bee funny anymore. It really hits home that he has a realistic chance to be the next president. Part of what makes it scary is that the fearmongering he does is not too different from the tactics some politicians use here.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 10:49:41 pm by SCarpelan »

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2016, 11:09:25 pm »
Hey Ironbite, if you're hanging around, isn't Trump god friends with Vince McMahon? I seen to remember a friendship.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2016, 11:13:17 pm »
Hey Ironbite, if you're hanging around, isn't Trump god friends with Vince McMahon? I seen to remember a friendship.

Yeah, Trump hosted a couple Wrestlemania's, and had a storyline where there was a "Battle of the Billionaires" in which Trump shaved Vince's head. Stone Cold Steve Austin then gave Trump a stunner for his troubles.

Shortly thereafter, Vince "sold" the WWE, which Trump bought, only to turn around and resell it to Vince at double value. The storylines with Trump were stupid. Almost as stupid as Roman Reigns.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2016, 01:16:19 am »
Trump promised the truth. How'd he do?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ap-trump-fact-check-1.3690469

Not well.

Despite promising "the truth, and nothing else" in his convention speech, Donald Trump presented the nation with a series of previously debunked claims and some new ones Thursday night — about the U.S. tax burden, the perils facing police, Hillary Clinton's record and more.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2016, 09:00:30 am »

If you're expecting any type of wrestlers going out and stumping for Trump, don't.  From what I understand, Vince keeps very neutral about politics these days, preferring to back both horses in an effort to hedge his bet.

Ironbite-and yes the Trump stuff in the WWE was super stupid.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2016, 10:49:58 am »
No, I'm not expecting wrestlers until the inauguration. I'm just wondering if Trump is recording any help getting to the lowest common denominator.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2016, 11:39:45 am »
No, I'm not expecting wrestlers until the inauguration. I'm just wondering if Trump is recording any help getting to the lowest common denominator.

If he wanted to do that, all he'd need are sports stars.  I'm sure Tim Tebow would be honoured to serve as the official mouthpiece of the braindead imbeciles of this wondrous, backward nation.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2016, 12:59:59 pm »
So Hillary is apparently going to pick her VP today. All signs are pointing to Tim Kaine, or Tom Vilsack. Unless she pulls some sort of shocking pick out of left field. I don't know anything about these two other than the states they are from. Tim Kaine could help out with Virginia and possibly North Carolina. Tom Vilsack could help out with Iowa. But where they stand politically I have no idea.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2016, 01:08:21 pm »
So Hillary is apparently going to pick her VP today. All signs are pointing to Tim Kaine, or Tom Vilsack. Unless she pulls some sort of shocking pick out of left field. I don't know anything about these two other than the states they are from. Tim Kaine could help out with Virginia and possibly North Carolina. Tom Vilsack could help out with Iowa. But where they stand politically I have no idea.

Something's making me lean Warren or Sherrod Brown of Ohio. Warren has shown she can get under Trump's skin, she's smart, she helps Clinton with her "beholden to Wall Street" bullshit criticisms, and bolster's Clinton's historic first woman president bit (in contrast to Trump "She had blood coming from her 'whatever'"). Brown is also quite progressive, from Ohio which is more battleground (Virginia and Iowa are very likely to go Blue this year), is a man (and if misogynists hate one woman on the ticket, they'll hate two), and gets midwest points. Downside with Warren is she's a New England Female. Downside with Brown is that Bernie really hates the guy and likely pulled some behind the scenes strings to keep Brown out of the running.

As for where they stand politically, Kaine is slightly more moderate than Hillary, and Vilsack is a moderate.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2016, 01:14:32 pm »
I doubt she'll pick Warren. I don't see Hillary going very left, plus Massachusetts being a blue state already wouldn't really help Hillary out.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2016, 01:47:57 pm »
My pick is Castro.  Something about him just makes me think she'll go for him.

Ironbite-also Sanders as my 10000000 to 1 long shot.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2016, 04:24:03 pm »
I saw this ad by Clinton to attack Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrX3Ql31URA

Really, Clinton?  That's the best you can do, think of the children?  One of the reasons Trump's gotten this far is that the media keeps talking about his language and insults, instead of fact-checking him.  If she really wants to take him down, her ads should say, "False!" after every stupid comment that he makes. 

Now i'm still not a fan of Clinton, but I'd think that, 'Think of the children' is something the GOP would sink to.  With all her money, she could hire someone to fact check Trump and bury him with no effort.

Hopefully she comes to her senses by the debates.  I seriously doubt B.S. ads like this will do anything but make the public laugh at her.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2016, 04:49:06 pm »
I saw this ad by Clinton to attack Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrX3Ql31URA

Really, Clinton?  That's the best you can do, think of the children?  One of the reasons Trump's gotten this far is that the media keeps talking about his language and insults, instead of fact-checking him.  If she really wants to take him down, her ads should say, "False!" after every stupid comment that he makes. 

Now i'm still not a fan of Clinton, but I'd think that, 'Think of the children' is something the GOP would sink to.  With all her money, she could hire someone to fact check Trump and bury him with no effort.

Hopefully she comes to her senses by the debates.  I seriously doubt B.S. ads like this will do anything but make the public laugh at her.

I disagree, I think it was effective to its end. Hillary is still at a point to define her campaign because (1) she hasn't really done so yet, and (2) Trump hasn't done so yet as the RNC was just a bash Hillary fest with the old cliches of Emails and Benghazi.  When the two national party candidates have high unfavorability ratings, I don't think going negative is the right choice. But, this ad highlights Trumps bombastic tone while presenting Hillary as an even-handed and level-headed leader, which isn't that different from the effective campaign LBJ ran against Goldwater.

What is more, the ad will probably resonate differently with different groups: a white man in South Carolina may not see it that same way as a latina in New Mexico. Trump's rhetoric has already acted to normalize bigotry among children. I think the ad really intends to target mothers who are black or latina (evidenced against from Trump's "Blood from her 'where-ever'" comment in the video) who fear that Trump represents the racial underbelly of America coming to the forefront of our national politics.

Besides, I think throwing a fact check into your opponent's face is most effectively done in a live debate, a la Obama-Romney in 2012.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2016, 08:47:05 pm »
Welp, it is Clinton/Kaine vs. Trump/Pence. Can't wait to see the DNC next week.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2016, 04:00:26 am »
It'd be hilarious to see Sanders delegates try to get someone else nominated for VP (maybe Sanders himself, though he'd probably decline; possibly Warren).
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.