Author Topic: National Elections Thread  (Read 78251 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: National Elections Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2016, 04:54:23 am »
I disagree, I think it was effective to its end. Hillary is still at a point to define her campaign because (1) she hasn't really done so yet, and (2) Trump hasn't done so yet as the RNC was just a bash Hillary fest with the old cliches of Emails and Benghazi.  When the two national party candidates have high unfavorability ratings, I don't think going negative is the right choice. But, this ad highlights Trumps bombastic tone while presenting Hillary as an even-handed and level-headed leader, which isn't that different from the effective campaign LBJ ran against Goldwater.

What is more, the ad will probably resonate differently with different groups: a white man in South Carolina may not see it that same way as a latina in New Mexico. Trump's rhetoric has already acted to normalize bigotry among children. I think the ad really intends to target mothers who are black or latina (evidenced against from Trump's "Blood from her 'where-ever'" comment in the video) who fear that Trump represents the racial underbelly of America coming to the forefront of our national politics.

Besides, I think throwing a fact check into your opponent's face is most effectively done in a live debate, a la Obama-Romney in 2012.

Yeah, sorry, not buying it.  The media has been trying the same tactic for a year now and all it's done is make Trump even more popular.  A number of people are flocking to Trump because, according them, he's 'keeping it real and calling it like he sees it.' 

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 05:16:28 am by Vypernight »
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2016, 07:42:15 am »
http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-36870441

He will disappoint some liberals namely because of his pro-trade position, which he will have to temper now.

DNC convention will sure be fun.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2016, 09:24:59 am »
Oh it was always gonna be fun.  Expect a vote the second the convention opens.

Ironbite-and get your popcorn

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2016, 09:55:20 am »
I got an air popper and an unopened tub of butter, who wants some?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

pyro

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2016, 10:20:10 am »
Only if you throw in some popcorn, too.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2016, 01:01:55 pm »
Yeah, sorry, not buying it.  The media has been trying the same tactic for a year now and all it's done is make Trump even more popular.  A number of people are flocking to Trump because, according them, he's 'keeping it real and calling it like he sees it.'

I'm going to disagree.  It made a certain group of authoritarian whites flock to Trump but almost everyone outside that group hates him.  The Authoritarian Whites make up about 40% of the republican party, which was enough to give him the primary thanks to winner take all states and a divided field, but he's very unpopular with the country overall.  If there had only been one establishment candidate after Iowa instead of three, he would probably have beaten Trump since early on the combined votes for Jeb, Rubio and Kasich were actually ahead of Trump.  And everybody who isn't a republican hates him, he's the most unpopular party nominee by a wide margin.  So I think this kind of ad is pretty effective.  Most Americans don't want a man like Trump in the white house, so pointing this stuff out will do a good job getting liberals and moderates to vote Clinton and non-authoritarian republicans to stay home or vote libertarian.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2016, 01:54:43 pm »
If Clinton wants to take out trump and Pence she should learn how to shoot a gun then in one of her debates just unload a glock on 'em.

Yeah..... I don't think that is a very good idea. There is this thing. It is called a felony. You generally don't want one of those.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2016, 02:03:20 pm »
If Clinton wants to take out trump and Pence she should learn how to shoot a gun then in one of her debates just unload a glock on 'em.

Yeah..... I don't think that is a very good idea. There is this thing. It is called a felony. You generally don't want one of those.
So Ted Cruz can kill up to 37 people but Hillary can't even kill two?

So, you're advocating that more people be like Ted Cruz?
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2016, 02:17:16 pm »
Ted Cruz killed 37 people?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2016, 04:21:18 pm »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2016, 01:00:16 am »
I don't believe Cruz killed 37 people.  It's got to be more then that by now.

Anyway here's some food for thought Why we should make Trump the King of America.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2016, 01:08:13 am »
I don't believe Cruz killed 37 people.  It's got to be more then that by now.

Anyway here's some food for thought Why we should make Trump the King of America.

I approve this article because it advocates for a parliamentary democracy.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2016, 01:39:46 am »
http://www.vox.com/2016/7/21/12238048/rnc-party-milo

The SA had a party.

Doubt Milo got much attention - he looks sleep deprived and just generally weird these days.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2016, 01:49:30 am »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/democratic-party-bernie-sanders-emails-wikileaks-1.3692491

https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/

Welp.

A cache of more than 19,000 emails from Democratic Party officials, leaked in advance of Hillary Clinton's nomination at the party's convention next week in Philadelphia, details the acrimonious split between the Democratic National Committee and Clinton's former rival, Senator Bernie Sanders.

Several emails posted by Wikileaks on its document disclosure website show DNC officials scoffing at Sanders and his supporters and, in one instance, questioning his commitment to his Jewish religion. Some emails also show DNC and White House officials mulling whether to invite guests with controversial backgrounds to Democratic Party events.

Today, Friday 22 July 2016 at 10:30am EDT, WikiLeaks releases 19,252 emails and 8,034 attachments from the top of the US Democratic National Committee -- part one of our new Hillary Leaks series.

EDIT:

Quote from: MARHSALL
It might may no difference, but for KY and WVA can we get someone to ask his belief. Does he believe in a God. He had skated on saying he has a Jewish heritage. I think I read he is an atheist. This could make several points difference with my peeps. My Southern Baptist peeps would draw a big difference between a Jew and an atheist.

Quote from: MARSHALL
It's these Jesus thing.

Quote from: Amy Dacey
AMEN
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 01:51:38 am by dpareja »

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2016, 05:23:24 am »
Oh fuck me this just keeps getting better and better.