Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1517061 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #2250 on: April 14, 2013, 12:15:19 am »
I don't know if you'll be able to in X Y
I hope so for Smogons sake.
And as for that fight at least they half way justify it by having the gunship use the sun to make itself invisible

Dude, it's sunset. The sun is too low to do anything to help the gunship. The gunship has super intense lights pointed at Shepard and her crew. Where the hell does the sun even come into the picture?

If anything you could say that Shepard's helmet should help by darkening the visor like it should do when you're near a sun in the ship.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #2251 on: April 14, 2013, 12:16:22 am »
I was never able to get into Pokemon past the original 151. I'd like to play FireRed at some point.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #2252 on: April 14, 2013, 12:48:34 am »
Speaking of such things, I've been criticized for keeping my Super NES operational instead of downloading an emulator for some reason.
Hahahaha, what.

I also have a Super Nintendo Entertainment System that is still operational. The last time I used it, I played up to (I think) more than one quarter of Breath of Fire (the original). I've been wanting to go back, if it weren't for an overflow of college work and my step-father getting bitchy if I play anything in my room past 10:00 at night (because the master bedroom is below my room).

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #2253 on: April 14, 2013, 02:51:01 am »
I was never able to get into Pokemon past the original 151. I'd like to play FireRed at some point.

2nd gen is good too. I liked 3rd gen a lot, but some people hate it and think that's when Pokemon "went bad"...
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Distind

« Reply #2254 on: April 14, 2013, 08:26:41 am »
So am I the only person on the internet who doesn't play Pokemon in adulthood, never touched anything past the original 151, and only liked the cartoon and a few spinoff games like Colosseum as a kid?

I'm seeing all these people talking about how much they love Pokemon and grabbing up the newest games and I'm sitting here all awkward like ".....yeah."
I've been considering picking it back up just so I have something utterly mindless to play that doesn't involve twitch gaming. But not since the first games myself either.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2255 on: April 14, 2013, 08:33:53 am »
So am I the only person on the internet who doesn't play Pokemon in adulthood, never touched anything past the original 151, and only liked the cartoon and a few spinoff games like Colosseum as a kid?

I'm seeing all these people talking about how much they love Pokemon and grabbing up the newest games and I'm sitting here all awkward like ".....yeah."
I've been considering picking it back up just so I have something utterly mindless to play that doesn't involve twitch gaming. But not since the first games myself either.

I just play Call of Duty on the easiest difficulty level for that. You take so many bullets to die that you practically HAVE to let yourself get killed. You can pretty much just walk around trying to trick shot stuff.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #2256 on: April 14, 2013, 08:47:56 am »
I don't mind enjoyable padding. I'm only at the second assassination, so I guess we'll see.

Here is my Amazon review of Assassin's Creed...

The game is a blast at first. After about the 4th assassination, though, it becomes very repetitive. Though the exact details of what you have to do vary, the overall premise is the same. Investigations, Save Citizen, Climb, Assassinate.

I had hoped this game would be a keeper, but it isn't. As soon as I finish the last chapter, I'm trading it.

I did finish the last chapter, and I did trade it. I have Assassin's Creed II, and I know they fixed a lot of the repetitive nature. But I've had a hard time getting myself to put it in the 360, just because of how disappointed I was in 1.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2257 on: April 14, 2013, 09:16:02 am »
I don't mind enjoyable padding. I'm only at the second assassination, so I guess we'll see.

The game is a blast at first. After about the 4th assassination, though, it becomes very repetitive. Though the exact details of what you have to do vary, the overall premise is the same. Investigations, Save Citizen, Climb, Assassinate.

I had hoped this game would be a keeper, but it isn't. As soon as I finish the last chapter, I'm trading it.

I did finish the last chapter, and I did trade it. I have Assassin's Creed II, and I know they fixed a lot of the repetitive nature. But I've had a hard time getting myself to put it in the 360, just because of how disappointed I was in 1.

I still haven't gotten past Venice (first due to my save getting wiped, now due to apathy), but it's much improved from the first. You examine more of the character's life and the game is both longer and divided into smaller missions with plot relevance and better variety. The problem is that it's just so long and there's not as much to do as I would have liked. I mean, racing's fine for one or two times. But I don't want to spend my time just parkouring around Italy until I've found every brick in every city. And the feather hunt is something that I just plain refuse to do; unmarked scavenger hunts all around the game world for 100 items and your reward just raises your notoriety and makes the game harder? Nah.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #2258 on: April 14, 2013, 10:55:50 am »

I agree that it does get repetitive. I think I'm enjoying it more because I'm playing with a friend, and lots of games are more fun that way. Hell, it made Catherine fun, and that game is kinda sad. Anyway, everyone says the sequels did a lot to fix the repetitiveness, so I look forward to those, too.

And it is a game I'll want to play in the future, probably just to screw around in the cities.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2259 on: April 14, 2013, 12:33:58 pm »
Beat Dragonborn, well the main quest.  Not sure what was going on during the end fight but man alive, Miraak went down like a bitch.

Ironbite-a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch!

Saturn500

« Reply #2260 on: April 14, 2013, 12:45:19 pm »
So, he was incredibly easy, then?

Considering Bethesda's track record with final bosses, it's more of a surprise when they're not incredibly easy.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2261 on: April 14, 2013, 12:47:09 pm »
Pretty much.  Then again I did have a buddy helping me out as I have the Summon Spectral Assassin power and I think one of his Dragon buddies was still enthralled to me and I had full Dragon Aspect on.

Ironbite-and I set him on fire.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #2262 on: April 14, 2013, 04:52:33 pm »
Miraak wasn't too hard.  However there was an unmarked side quest which had you fight probably one of the toughest bosses in Skyrim.  The ghost of Karstaag (from Morrowind's Blood Moon expansion).
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
« Reply #2263 on: April 14, 2013, 06:31:20 pm »
Miraak wasn't too hard.  However there was an unmarked side quest which had you fight probably one of the toughest bosses in Skyrim.  The ghost of Karstaag (from Morrowind's Blood Moon expansion).

That was such a bullshit fight. His knockback sent me into the caves multiple times and, at one point, I went flying over the walls and got stuck. You don't even get anything good as a reward.
"Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave." - The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2264 on: April 14, 2013, 09:00:01 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV-4sPSnSNQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV-4sPSnSNQ</a>

This is a relatively recent indie game called Receiver. It's only $5 on Wolfire (who make Overgrowth), and it's deceptively simple on the surface: roam a cyberpunk skyscraper with your gun and flashlight, fighting off drones and robot turrets while collecting cassette tapes to try and piece together the plot.

What makes this game different is that it tries to perform a 100% realistic depiction of firearms. There are three guns in the current game: M1911A1, Glock 18, and S&W Model 10. All three guns are unique and have fully functioning controls, with the player having to operate all of them manually. So to reload the 1911 you need to remove the magazine, either drop it or put it in your pocket, pull out a new magazine, insert it, and hit the slide release (or rack the slide if it was forward). Or you can use individual cartridges to reload the magazine and put it back into the gun. Just make sure to chamber a round first. And put the safety on if you're paranoid. Bullets have modeled ballistics, including ricochets that lower damage, and robots can have different pieces like their camera and weapon disabled by shots on different parts of their body.

I think the ultra-realistic depiction makes the game a much different animal from traditional first-person shooters. Normally, a lot of stuff is done for you, and reloading is simply pressing a button to stop the pause in shooting. Receiver forces the player to focus and carefully consider how they operate their weapon, and fastidiously check it to make sure that it's loaded. There's no on-screen ammo counter, so you need to mentally keep track of your ammo and check the gun occasionally to see how much you have left. It also shows just how difficult it would be for an untrained protagonist to go through these difficult action scenarios.