Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1514116 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #2685 on: June 24, 2013, 01:39:37 am »
Even on normal I end up dying half a dozen times or more in some encounters, and I've probably sunk more hours into it than Black Ops II and I'm not even halfway through.

DURHUR YOU DIED ON NORMAL YOUR SUCH A STUPID LOSER

HERES A GENIUS IDEA TRY NOT GETTING HIT MORON

*smacks self*

Sorry, I was possessed by the spirit of a Morrowind fandumbass.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2686 on: June 24, 2013, 02:59:32 am »
The hardest part of the game are the Clickers. They take two headshots to kill and have generally higher health and while they're blind, they have REALLY sensitive hearing (to the point where even full speed sneaking is audible at a certain distance, so you have to move at about half of your usual "slow" speed to avoid getting caught). They can only be stealth killed if you have a shiv (which is a disposable tool that lasts only two uses after you upgraded it and spends much of the game as a one-use item.....or the entire game if you didn't find the upgrade manual) and until you learn the proper skill AND have a shiv handy it's an unavoidable one-hit kill if they make contact. And they almost always come in groups, and if not they're surrounded by regular Infected that still have their eyesight and just bum rush you. If you lose stealth even once, you usually get rushed and killed as soon as a single Clicker touches you because you're distracted by too many enemies.

Speaking of enemies, the humans in this game are fucking SMART. They can flank, and Joel has so little health even when upgraded that it's often a death sentence if a guy with a gun gets around you. And they'll gladly throw Molotovs at you when you're hiding. Not to mention that you can't block with the fighting system, so any mistimed or misaimed hit means you'll likely take a few whacks. And bad guys all attack you at once, so fighting more than one person in melee is a death sentence and guys with guns will shoot you with impunity if you get caught up in a brawl.

Making it through an encounter takes a ton of intelligence and cleverness. You usually need to distract and isolate enemies to take them out through stealth, and every shot you make should be the most damaging one possible from your position. The best option is usually to just never let the enemies know you're even there in the first place.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:15:18 am by chitoryu12 »
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2687 on: June 24, 2013, 07:09:39 am »
I gave Thief another shot. As it turns out, it's more fun when you're not trying to ghost every level on expert your first run. Who new? While it's not my favourite stealth game of all time, it's still very good for what it is.

In other news, I've been playing a lot of Theme Hospital lately. Bloody hell, that game is more fun than it has any right to be.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 11:45:11 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2688 on: June 25, 2013, 01:06:16 pm »
I got Poker Night 2 last night.

Holy hell this game is fun.  And it's hard to stay frustrated at.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2689 on: June 25, 2013, 05:24:00 pm »
Untill my harddrive died I played it a lot fun and all but I am convinced the dealer on purpose gives everyone better cards then you which is fitting for Glados

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2690 on: June 25, 2013, 06:12:54 pm »
Not really true.  The developers have outright stated that the game is not rigged (which is not necessarily evidence that it isn't) but people who play poker have confirmed that the game is quite accurate to real poker in the way the cards are handled.

Distind

« Reply #2691 on: June 25, 2013, 07:19:08 pm »
Anything with random generation will get those accusations.

Finally got a solid enough handle on Dwarf Fort to start playing with DFhack. Yeah, hell of a tool. All those little things you wanted to be able to do, probably easily doable from a commandline.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2692 on: June 25, 2013, 10:03:06 pm »
last of us does it play well on an SD TV as a lot of ps3 games have really bad ut off screens
Also the game had me lose a lot so yeah

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2693 on: June 25, 2013, 10:03:31 pm »
Picked up Battlefield 3 for $16. Denied Gamestop's 1 year warranty, as it was literally a third the cost of the game.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2694 on: June 27, 2013, 01:02:47 am »
Has anyone else played Retro City Rampage? It's a lot of fun. It's like if Saint's Row were 8-bit and obsessed with references to stuff from the 80's.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #2695 on: June 27, 2013, 01:07:36 am »
So one of my friends got me to start playing Halo 4 multiplayer again, and holy hell did we have the absolute worst luck with teams today.  I don't think we went even one match without at least two people on our side ragequitting, and we kept getting paired with people who had NO idea what they were doing.  I think I'm just going to go back to finishing my trilogy run through of Mass Effect again...
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #2696 on: June 27, 2013, 06:10:25 am »
Picked up Battlefield 3 for $16. Denied Gamestop's 1 year warranty, as it was literally a third the cost of the game.

The warranty is pretty useless in the first place if you take care of your discs. I've never had issues with used games because, if I'm worried about the disc's condition, they usually let me inspect it first.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #2697 on: June 27, 2013, 09:10:23 am »
Started playing far cry blood dragon.

My brain is seared with neon
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2698 on: June 27, 2013, 01:03:00 pm »
Started playing far cry blood dragon.

My brain is seared with neon

MARK IV STYLE, MOTHAFUCKA.

I hope whoever designed the final boss in Rayman 2 never works in the business again. Finally beat the fucking thing after 12 years, but I gave myself a splitting migraine doing it. Not sure it was worth it.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2699 on: June 27, 2013, 08:55:42 pm »
I only bought one bad game and that was Xenosaga 1 (game disc wouldn't work)
Two of my gamecube discs are failing but to be fair they are old