Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1516901 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #5295 on: December 07, 2014, 01:21:11 pm »
On another note, that was some impressive trolling by Square Enix yesterday. Announcing FFVII for the PS4... but a simple port of the PC re-release. Oh hoho. Funny guys.

(FFVII is overrated anyway. So damn overrated. And Aerith was annoying as anything)

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5296 on: December 07, 2014, 04:36:05 pm »
I never got past disc one because the game was boring and the characters were completely unlikeable.

I immediately went back to Ultima VII and remembered what a real RPG is supposed to be like.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #5297 on: December 07, 2014, 08:00:54 pm »
I'm amazingly hooked on a Let's Play of 'This War Is Mine'.  I so need to pick it up on payday.  If you guys are into a combination of strategy and resource management in a 2D setting and enjoy bleakness, you'll get a kick out of this.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5298 on: December 07, 2014, 10:36:30 pm »
Ralph H. Baer is dead.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #5299 on: December 08, 2014, 01:13:47 am »
Final Fantasy III/VI has a much more special place in my heart. I'm probably sure it has some of the same problems as VII though. *shrug*

Ralph H. Baer is dead.

At the risk of sounding incredibly callous and oblivious, who?

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #5300 on: December 08, 2014, 01:27:49 am »
Final Fantasy III/VI has a much more special place in my heart. I'm probably sure it has some of the same problems as VII though. *shrug*

Ralph H. Baer is dead.

He made the first video game console.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5301 on: December 08, 2014, 01:32:07 am »
I'm amazingly hooked on a Let's Play of 'This War Is Mine'.  I so need to pick it up on payday.  If you guys are into a combination of strategy and resource management in a 2D setting and enjoy bleakness, you'll get a kick out of this.

I've been looking at that game as well but I need to finish a few of the games I already have before I buy another one. (And I'm gonna get into a beta of a kickstarter soonish anyway so that will also be eating up the time I do not have.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #5302 on: December 08, 2014, 01:41:38 am »
Ralph H. Baer is dead.

He made the first video game console.

Okay, that's actually pretty sad. Sad because not very many people know about the existence of the Magnavox Odyssey (which at least I do) and an even more forgotten chapter of when Nolan Brushnell got sued by Magnavox because Pong was basically a ripoff of that Tennis game on the Odyssey. For some reason this man's name had eluded me until now.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5303 on: December 08, 2014, 09:12:15 am »
https://twitter.com/NightDiveStudio/status/540671183952154624

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5304 on: December 08, 2014, 10:13:48 am »
Commander tags in Guild Wars 2 have to be the single worst thing about the game, and NOT because they're game breaking or anything (well, they're hideously expensive, but that's fine), it has to do with what people become when they see one anywhere on the map.  They flock to the tag, no matter what.  If they can't find a way, they'll spam map chat with crap like "how I get to commander tag?" even when the entire map is one 24/7 battle, critically needs people to actually get it to go anywhere, AND the commanders have, for whatever reason, fucked off to an area completely unrelated to the main focus of the map.  Screaming at people to stuff the commanders and actually participate in the map's main (and pretty much ONLY) purpose goes nowhere.  People become mindless fucking automatons when a commander's around, and will at times even point-blank REFUSE to think for themselves.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5305 on: December 08, 2014, 10:15:29 am »
You know, I've been wondering.  Why is Australia so uptight when it comes to video games?  You'd think a country literally founded by criminals would be a little more relaxed.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5307 on: December 08, 2014, 06:13:12 pm »
You know, I've been wondering.  Why is Australia so uptight when it comes to video games?  You'd think a country literally founded by criminals would be a little more relaxed.
It wasn't founded by criminals, criminals were just the preferred source of cheap labour. Which probably made the idea of a more controlling government all the more appealing to the governors and free settlers, which come to think of it probably explains a lot.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5308 on: December 08, 2014, 06:47:43 pm »
You were a prison colony.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #5309 on: December 09, 2014, 04:05:39 am »
I'm having a blast in Inquisition, but the big decisions are nerve-racking because I barely have any context for them.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!