Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1518504 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #5625 on: March 19, 2015, 01:09:44 am »
Orks shouldn't be as fun to play as they are in Dawn of War 2. Silence, ya fucking grot. Orkz is the biggest and da strongest! WAAAGH!

Get Retribution. Captin Bludflagg and his team are the highlight of the game...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #5626 on: March 19, 2015, 03:47:07 pm »
I see where Bioshock Infinite gets its name.  It took me over 2 hours to download the game.  Then, I learned it autosaves, but only at certain points (usually after main missions).  Also, its version of letting you know is a small icon in the corner of the screen that's easy to miss.  So if you plan to play the game for a half hour, you better make sure you reach the save point first.  I lost a lot of gameplay because I mistook a loading icon for a saving one.

Which sucks because otherwise I love the game.  Riding the rails, so to speak, is a blast.  Also melee combat, after a few upgrades, is an awesome bloodbath!  I just wish it allowed manual saves.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5627 on: March 21, 2015, 12:06:08 pm »
I'm finding Hotline Miami 2's hard mode to be paradoxically easier than normal mode.  Might just be because I now have access to the good shit, but I'm not restarting half as often as I did the first time around.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5628 on: March 21, 2015, 12:25:28 pm »
This seems interesting: http://subnauticagame.com/

It is still unfinished but I'll have to remember to check it later. At least it seems to look really pretty and I like underwater games.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #5629 on: March 21, 2015, 11:58:46 pm »
This seems interesting: http://subnauticagame.com/

It is still unfinished but I'll have to remember to check it later. At least it seems to look really pretty and I like underwater games.

I've actually been watching the LPer Generikb play it for the past week or so. It looks great. I'm just waiting for more stuff to be added until I buy it myself.

One thing they hope to add eventually is the ability to go inside the crashed colony ship, presumably to salvage things from it. Currently the ship is just a model the player phases through is they get to, which they can't because of radiation. I'm really hoping they add a lot more submarine models, and maybe the ability to custom build one out of parts. They're currently working on a terraformer tool which allows you to suck up and reshape the terrain, including building islands. The map as it is now has an island that floats atop giant air sac creatures. I'm not totally sure, but from the way people are talking, the map isn't procedurally generated. I think they might be working on doing that as well.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5630 on: March 22, 2015, 02:26:37 am »
I like this guy's video about Subnautica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGn0ozm2BzY

He is a geologist complains about inaccuracies in the game and talks trivia about geology and diving.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5631 on: March 22, 2015, 02:54:12 am »
Somehow, I managed to kill the Avatar of Khaine and acquire for Avitus a suit of bitching Terminator armor.

As for Gorgutz Totes didn't make that mistake, I meant- , I'm not sure how exactly I'm going to tackle him. As I don't currently have any Plasma Weapons even worthy of consideration and all of my established squad are at least Level 17 or above, I'm just going to use the same tactic I used on the Avatar. That being flinging a shit-ton of force at him and seeing what happens- no matter which way the battle turns.

EDIT:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE</a>

None can stop the crusade of the righteous, bitches! 'nids, Orks, Eldar, Avitus's grumpiness, Force Commander Silence, Goddamn Fire Prisms, not-Swarmlord, and even the somewhat interesting philosophical discussions of a band of killing machines!

And is it just me, or do the Blood Ravens tend to lose a shit-ton of Terminator armor for a chapter that is renowned for "trading" sacred chapter relics?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:41:35 am by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #5632 on: March 22, 2015, 06:15:08 pm »
Everyone's running around talking about Orks and Blood Ravens and I'm just sitting here hanging out with the Tau.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5633 on: March 22, 2015, 06:29:13 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqWZkCqI6NM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqWZkCqI6NM</a>

Looks promising.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5634 on: March 22, 2015, 10:19:46 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqWZkCqI6NM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqWZkCqI6NM</a>

Looks promising.

Oh.

A entire city of antidepressant-addicted psychopathic clown people, led (I guess, though I can see the Equilibrium twist from a mile away here) by a Male Sophia Lamb. Lovely, just what I needed.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 10:24:34 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5635 on: March 23, 2015, 03:09:38 am »
Finally finished Fallout: New Vegas. I have to say, it's one of the best RPGs I've ever played, neck and neck with Planescape: Torment. Fantastic game, all around. Such a shame that once again, Obsidian got shafted in the budget and time department. As solid as the game is, the time constraints certainly show, particularly the mid to late game. Once you kill Benny, you could probably finish the main story in just a couple of hours, if that.

Just imagine what Obsidian could do with a publisher that doesn't fuck them over. No doubt it would truly be a sight to behold.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5636 on: March 23, 2015, 09:38:49 am »
Though, you gotta admit, the last bits at Hoover Dam were fucking EPIC.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5637 on: March 23, 2015, 09:54:40 am »
Most definitely. Especially with the CZ57 Avenger. It takes mere seconds to turn a would-be legion ambush into a thin red mist. Not to mention, it's kind of cool to see Brotherhood of Steel and Enclave soldiers fighting side by side.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5638 on: March 24, 2015, 09:49:22 am »
(More modded Minecraft complaints.  Yay!)

Ya know, for their "kitchen sink" pack and "successor to Monster," FTB Infinity is...kinda lacklustre.  Monster had a LOT of shit, in terms of both tech and magic: it had Thaumcraft, Ars Magica, Blood Magic, Magical Crops and other magic stuff and as far as tech, it had almost everything RF (Thermal Expansion, Big Reactors, MineFactory Reloaded, et al), IndustrialCraft, BuildCraft, Forestry, RotaryCraft, ElectriCraft, ReactorCraft, and so on.  It had multiple systems you could work with; if you didn't fancy one, you could go and work with another.  If you didn't like IC2, you could do TE; if you didn't like either, you had RotaryCraft.

Basically, Monster had options, and lots of them.  That's what "kitchen sink pack" friggin means: everything, including the kitchen sink.  Infinity has no Reika's mods (RotaryCraft et al), and you're pretty much restricted to either RF or IC2 since BuildCraft migrated over to RF.  Thaumcraft still has most of its addons intact, I don't think AM2 has updated to 1.7, its still got Blood Magic, but no Magical Crops.  What's in Infinity is fairly good, but unless you purposefully restrain yourself, I can't honestly see worlds lasting very long before you get sick of 'em.  Reika's mods, especially, add a good deal of longevity to worlds and require actual thought into how you set things up: you can't just plop a stack of engines down, combine their power, and have them run anything.  Without going thru pretty much all of its tech tree first, you can't combine the power of more than 4 engines together, so you've got to use gearing and lubricant and a little basic math (multiplication and division, HOW SCAWWY) to meet the requirements of various tiers of machines.

I mean, on the server on which I'm currently playing (third time's the charm, eh?), I could (and actually am, because Rule of Funny) literally power my base using nothing but sugar and raw fucking sewage; I just need to get enough animals and sewers together and spam a tonne of engines, there's little actual thought that needs to go into getting my machines working at maximum efficiency.  Not knocking KingLemming, Team CoFH, or their work, but I'd like something that requires more than time and space to get working at its peak.

FTB Infinity is alright, but its just...lacking.  Its sad, because Monster is one of my favourite packs and seeing its chosen successor paling in comparison.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5639 on: March 28, 2015, 06:20:04 am »
22 hours into X3: Reunion and I've only just begun to make progress. Very slow game, but by the time you finally have your intergalactic megacorp up and running, it's the most satisfying thing in the world. Well, not quite. The most satisfying thing is when your intergalactic megacorp finally makes you enough money and builds you enough reputation with at least one of the factions to be able to afford your very own capital ship.