Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1518310 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #6390 on: February 20, 2016, 03:31:32 pm »
Hey! Christopher Ecclestone wasn't that bad!
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #6391 on: February 20, 2016, 03:42:37 pm »
What's. A. Paladin. 
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6392 on: February 20, 2016, 04:02:09 pm »
Here's a paladin:
The Doctor: You really want to think about this. Because if I activate the signal, every living creature dies.
Dalek Emperor: I am immortal.
The Doctor: D’you want to put that to the test?
Dalek Emperor: I want to see you become like me. Hail the Doctor! The great exterminator!
The Doctor: I’ll do it!
Dalek Emperor: Then prove yourself, Doctor. What are you? Coward or killer?
The Doctor: Coward. Any day.

He had a chance to take out his worst enemy but it would have been at the cost of killing innocent people. So he didn't. He knew the threat of Daleks better than anyone else but he was still unable to break his code to kill the Daleks. ...Then again, some of the other incarnations of the Doctor haven't been so opposed to genocide, but that is another story.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #6393 on: February 20, 2016, 04:27:47 pm »
Er, that statement was directed at any possible defense of Ultima 9.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6394 on: February 20, 2016, 06:53:21 pm »
Was that the game where the Avatar is acting out of character and destroys a culture or was that the next game?

That was the one after Serpent Isle, Pagan.  Though, I think the jury's still out on whether or not he actually destroyed Pagan or just kinda...wrecked it, since soon after freeing the titans, I think the Avatar basically ate them.  Two were outright malevolent (Hydros and Pyros) and likely would've done some damage in the meantime between being freed and being eaten.  Though, the whole idea behind Pagan was a question of whether or not its good to countenance a lesser evil in service to a greater good.  The Guardian had long since taken over Pagan, any resistance to his ideologies were wiped out hundreds, possibly thousands, of years before the Avatar even arrived there.  Its magic was largely (minus Thaumaturgy, which existed outside the realm of normal Pagan magic) channeled thru the titans and they were considered the source of said power.  Pagan was ruled by either secretly malevolent (in the case of Stratos) or outright evil (in the case of, again, Pyros and Hydros) cults whose interests aligned with the titans they served.  The world was basically fucked long before you got there...if anything, you could see the Avatar's actions as hastening the inevitable.  It also served as an object lesson in just what the Guardian had planned for Britannia and all worlds after that, which not only made the Avatar want to leave that horrible place just for the sake of leaving a horrible place, but also to stop the Guardian from doing this to any other worlds.  Freeing and eating the titans gave him the power he needed to confront the Red Bastard on his home turf which, incidentally, was the original plan for Ultima IX: for the Avatar to go to the Guardian's home world and kick his enormous, crimson ass.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6395 on: February 20, 2016, 08:07:07 pm »
Kantai releases an American shipgirl for the first time. She looks like this:

While it's not an overall bad design, it's just so... American. I'm really not sure how to feel about it. The skirt is also disappointingly short. Seriously.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #6396 on: February 20, 2016, 08:19:26 pm »
Was it post David Tennant that the Doctor started getting all dark? I remember the eternal torment type punishments against the Family of Blood, then there was that type he had an enemy fleeing in a spaceship blasted by ICBMs.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6397 on: February 20, 2016, 09:22:04 pm »
Was it post David Tennant that the Doctor started getting all dark? I remember the eternal torment type punishments against the Family of Blood, then there was that type he had an enemy fleeing in a spaceship blasted by ICBMs.

Nope, he was pretty much dark right from the get-go when 9 debuted.

"YOU WOULD MAKE A GOOD DALEK."

Even Then

« Reply #6398 on: February 20, 2016, 09:45:58 pm »

While it's not an overall bad design, it's just so... American. I'm really not sure how to feel about it. The skirt is also disappointingly short. Seriously.

It'll never be more American than Clownpiece.

Offline Eiki-mun

• The Beast
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6399 on: February 20, 2016, 09:47:45 pm »

It'll never be more American than Clownpiece.

This is very true. But she comes damn close.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #6400 on: February 21, 2016, 12:31:00 am »

EVERY Doctor has had his dark side. 6, 9 and 12 are the most obviously dark, but 7 was absolutely brutal at times and 10 went into "bitter old man" territory occasionally.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6401 on: February 21, 2016, 12:32:43 am »

I can't find the post now but somewhere on the net someone explained that 11 was the Doctor who forgot. 9 was struggling with survivors guilt and the shame of the Doctor's actions during the Time war, but 11 had forgotten it. The special episode even highlights it because 10 still remembers exactly how many victims died when he destroyed Gallifrey but 11 doesn't remember and thinks it's pointless to think about it.

9 is angry and threatens the Dalek but when push comes to shove he really can't do it.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6402 on: February 21, 2016, 10:21:50 am »

I can't find the post now but somewhere on the net someone explained that 11 was the Doctor who forgot. 9 was struggling with survivors guilt and the shame of the Doctor's actions during the Time war, but 11 had forgotten it. The special episode even highlights it because 10 still remembers exactly how many victims died when he destroyed Gallifrey but 11 doesn't remember and thinks it's pointless to think about it.

9 is angry and threatens the Dalek but when push comes to shove he really can't do it.

Honestly, I think 11 was lying when he said he forgot.  11 was trying to repress the memories in an effort to move on, not realizing that he was running from his past like he'd done from the very beginning.  He never accepted his actions and, thus, never truly forgot.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #6403 on: February 21, 2016, 01:23:15 pm »

If ya ask me that skirt ain't short enough if you know what I mean. Heeeeeello nurse! I think that picture just gave me a new fetish.

Offline Eiki-mun

• The Beast
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6404 on: February 21, 2016, 02:46:18 pm »

If ya ask me that skirt ain't short enough if you know what I mean. Heeeeeello nurse! I think that picture just gave me a new fetish.

Hah!