Author Topic: Scriptural argument shows that there's no free speech in christendom  (Read 3177 times)

Offline the_ignored

• Bishop
    • Skeptic Friends Network
From Christianity Today

A fiery debate has erupted over a leading Southern Baptist apologist's questioning of Matthew 27. The question: whether Matthew's reference to many saints rising from their graves after Jesus' resurrection might not be literal history.

In a series of open letters posted online, Norman Geisler, distinguished professor of apologetics at Veritas Evangelical Seminary in Murrieta, California, objected to Licona's characterizing the passage as a "strange little text."  Geisler accused Licona of denying the full inerrancy of Scripture. He also called for Licona to recant his interpretation, labeling it "unorthodox, non-evangelical, and a dangerous precedent for the rest of evangelicalism."

"I know a good number of evangelical seminary professors who have privately expressed support for Mike Licona but cannot do so publicly for fear of punitive measures," said Paul Copan, an apologist and president of the Evangelical Philosophical Society.

That statement by Copan is really telling.

Hat tip to the Crossexamined blog
To be clear, the only objectionable item in Licona’s entire 700-page book was the reinterpretation of this one incident in Matthew, and yet he was pressured out of his job as professor at Southern Evangelical Seminary (SES), and his position as apologetics coordinator for the North American Mission Board was eliminated. A single question about biblical inerrancy was, for some, intolerable.

If you read on in the crossexamined blog you'll see that it's not just the creationists who have to toe the line when it comes to dogma.  The various groups do have statements of faith that they have to sign, just as creationists do. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:01:33 am by the_ignored »

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
Re: Scriptural argument shows that there's no free speech in christendom
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 01:10:18 pm »
Guys like Mike Licona & his many supporters should ditch his denomination & join a more moderate sane one. I feel non-fundies can be a great asset in fighting fundies. Non-Fundies in all faiths need to come together, speak the truth to power, educate the people and take their faiths back!

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 01:20:51 pm »
Guys like Mike Licona & his many supporters should ditch his denomination & join a more moderate sane one. I feel non-fundies can be a great asset in fighting fundies. Non-Fundies in all faiths need to come together, speak the truth to power, educate the people and take their faiths back!
Or they could admit that it's all bullshit, and, by cherry-picking the parts they like, are doing the exact same thing as the fundamentalists. I mean really, why is the Jesus part so easy to believe, but undead saints is what gives the dude pause?
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 01:41:07 pm »
Or they could admit that it's all bullshit, and, by cherry-picking the parts they like, are doing the exact same thing as the fundamentalists. I mean really, why is the Jesus part so easy to believe, but undead saints is what gives the dude pause?

True. But since organized religion isn't going away anytime soon, the most realistic option would be to reform what's there. Someday, folks will be able to drop it like a hot potato. Until then, many find comfort & guidance in it. Humanity is a slow learner. Besides, I'd rather see religionists cherry-pick the good, peaceful, humanitarian, progressive stuff and reject the crapola. This is why I think the Gnostic concept of the Demiurge needs to be an accepted concept. The Demiurge is the false God, a vengeful figure of hate & stupidity. To me, it's a metaphor of false/fundy piety awash in Kyriarchy, bigotry, sexism, rigidity, judgmental & far-right thinking. Using the "Demiurge" concept, one can separate the progressive, humane "wheat" from the fundy, backwards, regressive, brutish "chaff" rather than feel obligated to see it all as "Divinely Inspired". Thus, Liberal/Progressive cherry-picking would be good & excusable rather than hypocrisy.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 03:04:30 pm »
Southern Baptists get really pissed if you question the existence of zombies.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 06:21:20 pm »
Not surprising.  Fundamentalism is the most blatant form of authoritarianism.  Do what our interpretation of what the bible says the bible says or burn in hell.  NO QUESTIONS!!!!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 02:46:12 pm »
Am I the only one who wants to write a short story where the zombie saints start biting people and the apostles band together fighting a zombie apocalypse throughout Jerusalem, lead by evil Zombie Jesus?
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 03:33:55 pm »
I should write a fic that's a sort-of "Reverse-Left Behind" which will feature my allegorical, progressive, pro-Moderate/Liberal/Sane Christian/Universalist interpretation of Revelation.

It'll feature The Christ, Yeshua, a swarthy Palestinian Jew who is a teacher of humanitarian values, salvation for all, compassion, true Christian values of goodness & love etc.

Then there's The Antichrist, Jeebus, a Anglo-looking Chuck Norris-looking Jesus-stereotype who's basically "Republican Jesus".

There will be Gnostic elements and references to The Demiurge concept. The Demiurge will be dubbed "AntiGod". Ayn Rand is the Whore Of Babylon. Mary/Miryam Magdalene will be co-Christ & Yeshua & Miryam with be "The Christ-Pair".

It'll be a neat tale. I should think about writing it.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 04:09:07 pm »
I'd read it. Not sure if it should be Rand or Palin or Coulter, though.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 11:12:44 pm »
I'd read it. Not sure if it should be Rand or Palin or Coulter, though.

Well, I picked Rand because she exemplifies all that "Objectivist/Might Makes Right/Selfishness/Greedy Money Freak" crapola. So the Whore looks like her.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 01:35:56 am »
Ahh. Makes sense.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 05:59:48 am »
I've been thinking of a story where the anti-christ actually appears, and he's a hyper-conservative, charismatic preacher who perfectly emphasizes conservative republican doctrine.  The Rapture never happens, because it was actually a lie perpetuated by Satan.  And so forth.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 10:41:08 am »
I'd definitely read it.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 12:17:30 pm »
I've been thinking of a story where the anti-christ actually appears, and he's a hyper-conservative, charismatic preacher who perfectly emphasizes conservative republican doctrine.  The Rapture never happens, because it was actually a lie perpetuated by Satan.  And so forth.

Reminds me of something I thought of.  The fundies believe that the end time are coming and start persecuting their "enemies" believing they will be the objects of God's wrath.  The outcasts are about to be sacrificed/killed, but then the rapture does happen.  Only God's wrath is directed at the fundies themselves.  Consiidering all the hell on earth fundies put people through, it's satisifying to imagine them getting a little hell of their own. 

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 01:06:06 pm »
I'd like to see a short story where the Rapture happens and Mister Rogers rises from the grave, waves goodbye to us all and ascends into Heaven. Because that's the most realistic depiction of the Rapture.