Author Topic: Stupid Arrests  (Read 2687 times)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
Stupid Arrests
« on: April 04, 2014, 12:32:47 pm »
This thread is about people being arrested for such petty things that you wonder if the police has anything better to do.

What triggered this thread is a year old case.  This mother was on a nice cruise with her family and when she returned to port, she was arrested after her name came up on a terrorist watch list.  She had a warrant out for her arrest.  Why?  Because 22 years ago, she stole a pack of cigarettes and had 85 dollars in unpaid court fines.  Un. Fucking. Believable.

Even more unbelievable are some of the commentors who think the cops were right to arrest her and ruin her vacation.  Yeah she broke the law... by stealing something 22 years ago.  Yeah she really needed to go down.  Such a typical "law enforcement can do no wrong" mentality. 

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
Re: Stupid Arrests
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 12:39:53 pm »
Kids getting arrested over the stupidest things. And this is a recurring problem. http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/19-crazy-things-that-school-children-are-being-arrested-for-in-america

Disclaimer: I know nothing about the ideology of that website. I just found it while searching for stupid arrests, and it matched the first thing to come to mind when I think of stupid arrests. And those 19 are far from the only cases.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 12:46:07 pm by Solar Pendra »

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 01:31:23 pm »
It's a fundie conspiracy website, but like a broken clock, it's right every so often.  This is one of those times. 

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 01:52:53 pm »
Years ago, a mother here in FL got in her mail a warrant for her son's arrest for multiple road violations, none of which were paid, and totally over $10,000. 

The problem?

Her (only) son was only a toddler.

Fortunately, after she explained the details, no arrests were made (though considering it was FL, it wouldn't have surprised me), after they learned it was a clerical or computer error, but damn, that had to be something to get in the mail.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 03:06:18 pm »
I heard about one case where a 12-year-old girl in Washington DC was arrested for eating French fries on the subway.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 03:20:27 pm »
Years ago, a mother here in FL got in her mail a warrant for her son's arrest for multiple road violations, none of which were paid, and totally over $10,000. 

The problem?

Her (only) son was only a toddler.

Fortunately, after she explained the details, no arrests were made (though considering it was FL, it wouldn't have surprised me), after they learned it was a clerical or computer error, but damn, that had to be something to get in the mail.

Even if you do get the right person how the fuck is that supposed to work?

Mail a warrant (to a relative no less) to somebody who has a history of ignoring pieces of paper from the law. This almost sounds like somebody is manufacturing legal pretext for exercising no-knock warrants with SWAT.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 05:38:41 pm »
I heard about one case where a 12-year-old girl in Washington DC was arrested for eating French fries on the subway.
I think we're taking the war on obesities to seriously.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 06:07:28 pm »
I've heard of one a few years ago where a kid with autism was arrested when the principal and teachers couldn't control him or her. I can't remember the kid's gender.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 06:28:58 pm »
I don't ever recall any arrests at my high school, and while there was a police officer assigned to the school I think he worked at multiple schools in the area, so it wasn't as if he were there all the time.

The only thing I wish some students had been arrested for was smoking outside the doors, but then I also have rather extreme views about smoking.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 08:27:13 pm »
Surprisingly, my high school had no arrests on property during my time there and I haven't heard of any after. Don't recall any before, either.

The last related arrest was when some jackhole from the middle school next door called in a fake bomb threat as a joke last month. Yeah, he's regretting that now.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Danarth

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 04:31:08 am »
Stupid arrests? The 9 month old who got arrested in Pakistan for 'attempted murder'

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/nine-month-old-baby-accused-murder-pakistan-192612190.html

Seriously....

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 04:56:32 pm »
This is 2 years old, but still rageworthy.

link

This dickhead judge gave an honor student 100 dollar fine and 24 hours in jail for truancy.  In addition to school, she has two jobs and has to support her family (her parents divorced).  The jackass actually admits that he did it to set an example.  Yeah, lets jail and fine the already stressed and overworked teen, putting even more stress on her and what's left of the family.

Fortunately some good came out of it because there has been a support fund for her.  The few douchey comments who thought the judge was right got royally chewed out by the sane majority. 

Edit stupid comment.

She deserved it, the judge told her if she missed school she would be jailed. All she has to serve is one night. NO BIG DEAL! I cant stand people who make a federal case out of nothing! We need to be more strict. I get that she is in a tough situation but you know what, when a judge tells you to do something or get a certain punishment and you do not comply they then give you the punishment and you should deal with it. She should have been worried about changing the judges mind when he told her that and not be crying right now about only having to spend ONE NIGHT in jail.

YEAH MORE PUNISHMENT!!! WE NEED TO BE TOUGHER CAUSE THE WORLD IS JUST SO FUCKING BADASS!!!!!!!111

God I hate these idiots.  He knows her situation, but he berates her for not following a judges bullshit order. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 05:21:59 pm by rageaholic »

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 05:32:31 pm »
Hmm, "when a judge tells you to do something, you do it", eh? What are the odds that this fella's a Bundy supporter?
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 03:39:02 pm »
It is, indeed, unlawful to eat anything in the DC MetroRail cars.  They can be pissy about it, too.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 08:41:21 pm »
Hmm, "when a judge tells you to do something, you do it", eh? What are the odds that this fella's a Bundy supporter?

One of those Tea Party nuts?  Wouldn't surprise me.  They are a hypocritical bunch.