Author Topic: Protip: Don’t persecute your nuclear scientists  (Read 1887 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Protip: Don’t persecute your nuclear scientists
« on: August 09, 2012, 11:22:41 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/pakistan-shuns-physicist-linked-god-particle-185057298.html

ISLAMABAD (AP) — The pioneering work of Abdus Salam, Pakistan's only Nobel laureate, helped lead to the apparent discovery of the subatomic "God particle" last week. But the late physicist is no hero at home, where his name has been stricken from school textbooks.

Praise within Pakistan for Salam, who also guided the early stages of the country's nuclear program, faded decades ago as Muslim fundamentalists gained power. He belonged to the Ahmadi sect, which has been persecuted by the government and targeted by Taliban militants who view its members as heretics.

Don’t worry, I am sure other nations will happily accept and benefit from your nuclear scientists. Don’t forget, opposing forces just love to take advantage of such an internal, religious strife. Ask India, after all they are very attentive to such matters.

Of course such snark is in hindsight as it has already happened.

Salam resigned from his government post in protest following the 1974 constitutional amendment and eventually moved to Europe to pursue his work. In Italy, he created a center for theoretical physics to help physicists from the developing world.

Although Pakistan's then-president, Gen. Zia ul-Haq, presented Salam with Pakistan's highest civilian honor after he won the Nobel Prize, the general response in the country was muted. The physicist was celebrated more enthusiastically by other nations, including Pakistan's archenemy, India.

I wonder who will be the next group to be persecuted and then flee? Looks like star cricket players! Grant them asylum or/then citizenship while you still can!
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
Re: Protip: Don’t persecute your nuclear scientists
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 12:25:22 am »
The Ahmadiyya get treated like crap by a lot of Muslim-majority countries.  Which is sad, because they have a better track record of interfaith relations than most of the "mainstream" Muslim sects.

Salam himself fled to Europe, and ultimately died in the UK.  Persecuting religious and ethnic minorities ultimately results in many talented people fleeing the country and working for rivals--which is exactly what happened in Germany before WWII, when a lot of Jewish scientists and intellectuals fled for greener pastures.

If the Pakistani government continues down this path, they will hobble their own development, and contribute to the development of the countries it considers its enemies, particularly India and the Western powers.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 11:52:25 pm »
The Ahmadiyya get treated like crap by a lot of Muslim-majority countries.  Which is sad, because they have a better track record of interfaith relations than most of the "mainstream" Muslim sects.

(...)

If the Pakistani government continues down this path, they will hobble their own development, and contribute to the development of the countries it considers its enemies, particularly India and the Western powers.
Because the Ahmadi believe in other Prophets after Muhammad. One of the great principle of Islam is that Muhammad is the last and greatest prophet of God; to deny that is blasphemy. Which is what the Ahmadi are generally persecuted for doing.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 01:24:31 am »
Because the Ahmadi believe in other Prophets after Muhammad. One of the great principle of Islam is that Muhammad is the last and greatest prophet of God; to deny that is blasphemy. Which is what the Ahmadi are generally persecuted for doing.

Even if one believes that a particular religious denomination is heretical, that's still not an excuse to persecute them.  Not to mention the fact that religious persecution often has the nasty habit of backfiring on those who do the persecuting.  It's a lose-lose situation for everyone.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 02:24:40 am »

Even if one believes that a particular religious denomination is heretical, that's still not an excuse to persecute them.  Not to mention the fact that religious persecution often has the nasty habit of backfiring on those who do the persecuting.  It's a lose-lose situation for everyone.
I know. I guess it shouldn't bear mentioning that Muslims have a knee-jerk reaction to anyone perceived as insulting their impotent God.