Author Topic: Girl raped and photograped by boys  (Read 8406 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Girl raped and photograped by boys
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2013, 09:29:40 am »
Some sort of "official Anonymous" Twitter account specifically told people not to release the names.

I say to release it. I think these children need to see exactly what they were putting people through.
'Official Anonymous". Ha, that's positively adorable.

Hence the quotes; Anonymous doesn't have an official ANYTHING. People like to talk about it like it's some sort of shadowy organization, but it HAS no organization. It's nothing more than like-minded internet folks, some of whom may know each other from the same website, who decide that they share an opinion on how to solve some injustice (or perceived injustice) and work together to accomplish it. They put themselves under the banner of Anonymous to try and scare their targets into believing that they've angered a cabal of hackers out of a cyberpunk novel, but they could have named themselves "Potatoes" and still had the same connection to the rest of Anonymous as they do.

Though the statement sent to the Nova Scotian government does sort of imply that: while the small group speaking to you doesn't plan on releasing the names until we're truly convinced that you have no intention of pursuing justice for Rehtaeh Parsons, we can't guarantee that OTHER people won't do so. They event outright said in the message "Better act fast."

I'm willing to bet that there's more to the case than we're entirely aware of. All I know is that the rape itself occurred back in 2011, but the case finally closed due to lack of evidence in November 2012 and the spreading of the photograph was deemed a "community problem", and thus the police washed their hands of the whole affair....until the victim hanged herself. If some random internet activists could really get the names of the rapists in no time at all, I'm willing to bet that police resources could and already have done the same. I'm confident that the police know exactly who the suspects are. Which makes me wonder just what occurred during the case to suggest that lack of evidence was a problem.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 09:42:31 am »
I'm willing to bet that there's more to the case than we're entirely aware of. All I know is that the rape itself occurred back in 2011, but the case finally closed due to lack of evidence in November 2012 and the spreading of the photograph was deemed a "community problem", and thus the police washed their hands of the whole affair....until the victim hanged herself. If some random internet activists could really get the names of the rapists in no time at all, I'm willing to bet that police resources could and already have done the same. I'm confident that the police know exactly who the suspects are. Which makes me wonder just what occurred during the case to suggest that lack of evidence was a problem.

That's just my guess, though.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2013, 10:16:36 am »
I would actually release the cop names.  Get them to actually try them.
On that note Harper says we shouldn't call it bullying and just call it criminal behavior.  Bullshit it's bullying, they did not have a grevince or a desire for money or anything, they just wanted to feel powerful. 

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2013, 12:29:40 pm »
Hey you just described rape.  Congrats.

Ironbite-which is...CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR!

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2013, 01:01:21 pm »
Rape is criminal behavior. Harassment is criminal behavior. The other students who picked on her, depending on how far they went, could be bullies, or both bullies and criminals.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 09:52:23 am »
Rape is criminal behavior. Harassment is criminal behavior. The other students who picked on her, depending on how far they went, could be bullies, or both bullies and criminals.
This basically.  Sorry if I phrased it poorly

Art Vandelay

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 09:55:49 am »
Once again, Spuki takes a flying leap off the deep end. I suppose we've been quite overdue for another one of these.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2013, 10:42:45 am »
Once again, Spuki takes a flying leap off the deep end. I suppose we've been quite overdue for another one of these.

I removed the quote because it was stupid. I'm back in the shallow end, thanks.  ;D

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2013, 09:08:21 pm »
Some sort of "official Anonymous" Twitter account specifically told people not to release the names.

I say to release it. I think these children need to see exactly what they were putting people through.
'Official Anonymous". Ha, that's positively adorable.

Hence the quotes; Anonymous doesn't have an official ANYTHING. People like to talk about it like it's some sort of shadowy organization, but it HAS no organization. It's nothing more than like-minded internet folks, some of whom may know each other from the same website, who decide that they share an opinion on how to solve some injustice (or perceived injustice) and work together to accomplish it. They put themselves under the banner of Anonymous to try and scare their targets into believing that they've angered a cabal of hackers out of a cyberpunk novel, but they could have named themselves "Potatoes" and still had the same connection to the rest of Anonymous as they do.

Though the statement sent to the Nova Scotian government does sort of imply that: while the small group speaking to you doesn't plan on releasing the names until we're truly convinced that you have no intention of pursuing justice for Rehtaeh Parsons, we can't guarantee that OTHER people won't do so. They event outright said in the message "Better act fast."

The family of Rehtaeh has publicly asked for the names to not be released and let the investigation finish so a proper prosecution can take place, although you can't be certain of who will decide otherwise.  Although I have my doubts about the accuracy of Anon's identification of all four boys, I'm glad they were able to get the case reopened.  I'm beyond disappointed for the area police, they've had as much a hand in her suicide as her tormenters.  Community problem indeed, and people will remember this for years.

EDIT:  I left out the not in my original post.  I've italicized it so people won't be scratching their heads.  I'm sorry if this has caused any confusion. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:41:47 am by Rime »
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2013, 09:29:09 pm »
Actually, they've asked that the names NOT be released last time I checked, as they're afraid that any form of bullying or vigilante justice against them wouldn't be what she wanted.

Well, the only choice the police have at this point is to engage in a case against them if they know the suspects' identities. Otherwise, the names WILL be released to the public and shit WILL hit the fan for them. The fact that a gang rape could occur with no convictions AND the picture of the rape being freely allowed by the police to be passed around the community with a "not our problem" justification ruins any trust the locals have in their law enforcement and government. Good things don't happen when you can't trust the people who are supposed to protect you.

In this case, I think vigilante justice would be better than no justice at all. This isn't exactly something to be swept under the rug, and if the government can't deliver justice, SOMEBODY will whether they like it or not. Right now they're facing a choice between either engaging in a prosecution and putting some people in prison or allowing them to be lynched.

If all goes well, the suspects will be so scared of retribution that they voluntarily confess.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2013, 08:42:01 am »
In this case, I think vigilante justice would be better than no justice at all. This isn't exactly something to be swept under the rug, and if the government can't deliver justice, SOMEBODY will whether they like it or not.

My issue with that is that the criminal justice system has programs and policies to protect the innocent. They are far from perfect, but they exist. Evidence has to be laid out, and the state has the burden of proof. (Innocent until proven guilty.)

Vigilante justice does not. There is nothing to stop a mob from going after whoever they believe is guilty. The accused has no chance to defend themselves, even if they are not actually guilty. (Guilty until you prove yourself innocent.)
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2013, 11:53:42 am »
While Anon's pressure was helpful in this case because I certainly feel that circulating a photo of a sexual assault and then having the authorities say "well don't it suck to be you, Ms. Parsons" is a a horrible injustice that should never have happened, I have trouble applying this in all cases.  Also, I do have some doubts that Anon has properly identified all four boys involved, and wrongly implicating someone in a sexual assault is no better justice than what Rehtaeh had to endure.  And I'm sure the public will remember the police's inaction for years to come.  I certainly will.

Everybody has the right to be angry about this, but this kind of anger is also dangerous, as Eric has pointed out in the post just above mine. 

And again, I apologize for accidentally deleting the "not" in my previous post.

(EDIT: Man, I need some sleep.  I had "jumping to the conclusion that" in the first part of my second sentence that doesn't even belong there and I feel that the post needs the words "police's inaction" to be added.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 02:52:56 pm by Rime »
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?